Westone UM PRO Series Thread
Oct 24, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #1,606 of 3,037
Hi, I just get a pair of UM Pro 50, can someone advise where can I find the serial number of the product? I saw there is a barcode sticker in the box CE*****, is that the serial number?

Sent from my SM-G900F

Oct 24, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #1,607 of 3,037
If you remove the eartips from the IEMs you will notice a number printed by laser on the side of the output canal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 29, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #1,610 of 3,037
Very disappointed that my newly bought UM Pro 50 also suffer the female MMCX connector wiggle (and the inner wire follow!) problem on the right unit...

Sent from my SM-G900F

In my opinion, the UM Pro 50 is a wonderful sounding IEM, but the build quality of the connectors is a massive problem, which Westone really should have sorted out by now. They are well aware that the connectors are a problem, and must have been aware for quite some time.

I was pushed towards buying the Shure SE846, as I was fed up with the connectors on my UM Pro 50 going dodgy, but I ended up coming back to the UM Pro 50 as I didn't like the sound of the SE846 anywhere near as much.

I ended up taking drastic action. Using a scalpel knife, and a fair bit of force, I cracked open my UM Pro shells and used some superglue to secure the female connectors in place. I then re-sealed the shells with some more superglue.

So far, the sound seems unaffected, though they cosmetically look a bit of a mess, and the warranty is now shot to pieces, but the warranty isn't worth much if they just send me warranty replacements that have the same issues anyway.

Oct 30, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #1,611 of 3,037
I have the chance of trading my Pro 50s for SE846s.

while i like Shure house sound a lot the impedance of the SE846 screams for an outboard amp with zero ohms of output impedance and lots of current. My iBasso T3 fits that bill but i hate to carry stuff around when just with the iPhone 6 the Pro 50 sing due to its easy impedance.

FTR SE846 ranges varies between 16 to 5 (0-10k) while Pro 50 goes from 21 to 52. That's a massive electrical advantage for the Westone.

On the other hand my confidence in Westone mmcx implementation is close to null...

Ahh, audiophile's dilemmas..

If the tonality it's not right, then nothing else really matters.

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #1,612 of 3,037
any1 used their UM 30 with their smartphone? i notice that when i make/receive calls while their are plugged in, my Nexus 4's mic stays on after the call is over and the only way to turn it off is to restart my phone. I'm using the stock cable and I tested other IEMs and they never caused this to happen. 

Nov 1, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #1,613 of 3,037

In my opinion, the UM Pro 50 is a wonderful sounding IEM, but the build quality of the connectors is a massive problem, which Westone really should have sorted out by now. They are well aware that the connectors are a problem, and must have been aware for quite some time.

I was pushed towards buying the Shure SE846, as I was fed up with the connectors on my UM Pro 50 going dodgy, but I ended up coming back to the UM Pro 50 as I didn't like the sound of the SE846 anywhere near as much.

I ended up taking drastic action. Using a scalpel knife, and a fair bit of force, I cracked open my UM Pro shells and used some superglue to secure the female connectors in place. I then re-sealed the shells with some more superglue.

So far, the sound seems unaffected, though they cosmetically look a bit of a mess, and the warranty is now shot to pieces, but the warranty isn't worth much if they just send me warranty replacements that have the same issues anyway.

I wrote an email feedback to Westone, somehow the answer is if i am not happy i can return to the retailer... But i am hesitate to return it coz the sound is so good and this is the most comfort earbud i have.

So I decided to add some superglue on the surrounding of the right side female MMCX connector (I am not daring as TCD1975 :) ), hope that at least secure the cable not to wiggle.

When i look further at the Left side earbud, found that the left side is OK because there was glue applied to the connector from the factory! I wonder why not the right side...

Nov 1, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #1,614 of 3,037
  any1 used their UM 30 with their smartphone? i notice that when i make/receive calls while their are plugged in, my Nexus 4's mic stays on after the call is over and the only way to turn it off is to restart my phone. I'm using the stock cable and I tested other IEMs and they never caused this to happen. 

The Westone stock cable is an iPhone cable -- buttons are wired differently than Android.

Nov 1, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #1,615 of 3,037

The Westone stock cable is an iPhone cable -- buttons are wired differently than Android.

but my stock cable doesn't have buttons on it tho. It's just the normal cable

Nov 2, 2015 at 5:10 AM Post #1,616 of 3,037
Westone produce two types of smartphone cable ...

MFI (made for iPhone) - http://www.westone.com/store/index.php/ultra-thin-replacement-cable-52-inches-3174.html

Android - http://www.westone.com/store/index.php/ultra-thin-replacement-cable-52-inches-3173.html

The cables work on all Adventure Series, ES, AC, UM Pro and W Series monitors.

The W series come with a MFI cable included. The Um Pro range doesn't come with cable included.

Nov 2, 2015 at 5:59 AM Post #1,617 of 3,037
AFAIK, westone um pro series doesn't provide cable with mic while W series provide 2 sets of cable, one of them has mic.

Nov 2, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #1,618 of 3,037
I have the chance of trading my Pro 50s for SE846s.

while i like Shure house sound a lot the impedance of the SE846 screams for an outboard amp with zero ohms of output impedance and lots of current. My iBasso T3 fits that bill but i hate to carry stuff around when just with the iPhone 6 the Pro 50 sing due to its easy impedance.

FTR SE846 ranges varies between 16 to 5 (0-10k) while Pro 50 goes from 21 to 52. That's a massive electrical advantage for the Westone.

On the other hand my confidence in Westone mmcx implementation is close to null...

Ahh, audiophile's dilemmas..

If the tonality it's not right, then nothing else really matters.

I see you've decided to swap your UM Pro 50 for Shure SE846, and that you prefer the Shure SE846 bass ... I'm a little surprised.

I guess the Shure SE846 must be quite source dependent, as I thought the bass was inferior to the UM Pro 50. It does have a lot of sub-bass (rather too much IMHO) but I found the mid bass really lacking.

While I appreciated individual elements of the sound, the overall Shure SE846 sound just wasn't for me.

The only thing I preferred about the SE846 was the far sturdier build quality.

Nov 3, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #1,619 of 3,037
I'm upgrading from Pro 30s and I'm considering the Pro 50 as a natural upgrade but the build quality has me scared. I tend to focus on female vocals, violin, drums and guitar in music. I've only ever used the Pro 30s in terms of high-end IEMs and I did like them a lot, certain tracks did seem lacking but that could've just been my taste. Anyone who's upgraded from 30s to 50s, how much better are they? I'm also looking at 1964 Ears as an alternative.

P.S. how does this track sound on your setup? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X834a6ggIUA

Nov 3, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #1,620 of 3,037
  I'm upgrading from Pro 30s and I'm considering the Pro 50 as a natural upgrade but the build quality has me scared. I tend to focus on female vocals, violin, drums and guitar in music. I've only ever used the Pro 30s in terms of high-end IEMs and I did like them a lot, certain tracks did seem lacking but that could've just been my taste. Anyone who's upgraded from 30s to 50s, how much better are they? I'm also looking at 1964 Ears as an alternative.

P.S. how does this track sound on your setup? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X834a6ggIUA

Which 1964ears IEM?

There is a lot of fanfare around the Pro50 and rightfully so, however, if you are looking for a different sound signature, try 1964Ears.  I prefer the Pro30 over the 50s.  Most likely due to the thicker/darker sound sig of the 50.  I listen to both IEMs off and on - I usually listen to the 50s at work so I may not be getting the full effect but the difference isn't all that dramatic to my old ears.  Again my opinion and preference.  I absolutely love my 1964 V8s.  Yes, more than the Pro30 and 1964 U12.  

Good luck.       

Users who are viewing this thread

Back