Westone UM PRO Series Thread
Oct 11, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #1,591 of 3,037
  Hello to everyone, I wanted to know, in terms of isolation and sound quality (mind you I have the Sennheiser HD598), which would you recommend between:
- MEElectronics M6 Pro
- Shure SE215
- Westone UM PRO10
- Westone W 10.
And if you can explain to me the difference between the two Westone!

I would love to have an answer to this as well. I am currently trying to decide between 
- Shure SE215
- Westone UM PRO10
- Westone W 10.

Oct 13, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #1,592 of 3,037
I just joined the club of mmcx connectors breaking. Sound was cutting out to I tried to remove the cable, the cable came off alright bit the mmcx connector stayed connected to the earphone! I would love an option to hardwire the epic cable to the earphone and be done with the mmcx connector issues westone seems to have.

Oct 13, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #1,593 of 3,037
  I just joined the club of mmcx connectors breaking. Sound was cutting out to I tried to remove the cable, the cable came off alright bit the mmcx connector stayed connected to the earphone! I would love an option to hardwire the epic cable to the earphone and be done with the mmcx connector issues westone seems to have.

Having spent 5 days with the Shure SE846, having got a bit fed up with connector issues on my UM Pros, I came crawling back to the UM Pros with my tails between my legs begging for forgiveness .. they are just wonderful sounding ... but Westone really need to sort out their build quality.

The good news is that their customer service is second to none, so they should sort you out with a replacement pretty quickly. You could email them, but I found that a quick phone call gets things sorted quicker.

Oct 13, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #1,594 of 3,037

I would really like to hear what Westone is going to do in the future with this problem.  You would think they have to have something in the works with this issue.  Its a amazing sounding product that deserves to be straightened out.

Oct 13, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #1,595 of 3,037
I was given a new cable along with my brand new UM pro 5 package...caveat was that i was not able to take out the cables that came installed in the retail package. Hence i am not using the new Epic cable.

The darn thing was so stiff that i decided that it was more dangerous to the socket to unplug the factory cable than using that cable.

Sound is so unique and amazing that i keep my fingers crossed for this thing to last.

If the tonality it's not right, then nothing else really matters.

Oct 13, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #1,596 of 3,037
I was given a new cable along with my brand new UM pro 5 package...caveat was that i was not able to take out the cables that came installed in the retail package. Hence i am not using the new Epic cable.

The darn thing was so stiff that i decided that it was more dangerous to the socket to unplug the factory cable than using that cable.

Sound is so unique and amazing that i keep my fingers crossed for this thing to last.

If the tonality it's not right, then nothing else really matters.

I've received two replacement pairs of UM Pro 50s within the last month. The first replacement pair they sent me developed dodgy lose connectors within a few days of arriving.

Both times Westone sent me an extra spare Westone cable, so maybe that is their policy nowadays.

The most recent pair of UM Pro 50 I received had a much more sturdy connection, but I still think they need to go back to the drawing board before the next phase in the UM range's progression. They don't need to produce something as tank-like as the Shure SE846 but they could definitely strength the area where the female part of the connector is held in place within the plastic shell.

That would iron out the only weakness I see in what is otherwise a brilliant product.

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #1,599 of 3,037
So I have sold my UM Pro 50s. So while I no longer have them, I have always taken care of my stuff and enjoyed my time immensely with them. I never had a large roster of IEMs I have owned but I have always owned some expensive stuff for my age. I started with my Monster Turbine Gold ($350 or something) back those 8 or so years ago. After they finally broke apart, I purchased the UM Pro 50s. They not only were a different quality of product all together, the sound was amazing. It was what got me into the BA-IEM game instead of Dynamic.
I deeply enjoy the sound and quality that it produced. While I have not had the problem with the MMCX connector, I feel that its a large problem with many IEMs that choose to use that type of connector. Unless if the manufacture process improved, Westone will continue to face problems. The housing that holds the MMCX in the IEMs is decent but not encasing enough. Several flaws is the way the connector itself is shaped. Since the female connector (IEM side) is actually round with two small long pins, there's not much to grip to. Compare that to the 2-pin solution which has a shape that allows from gripping by the two shells.​
There are few ways to solve this problem, from the way I see it: Use a special adhesive that bonds the metal connector to the 2 plastic shells or produce a partial redesign on the outer portion of the MMCX connector to make it less "round". Seeing as I am not versed at the guys who actually work and produce these things, I'm merely stating based by what I am seeing.

Oct 14, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #1,601 of 3,037
  So I have sold my UM Pro 50s. So while I no longer have them, I have always taken care of my stuff and enjoyed my time immensely with them. I never had a large roster of IEMs I have owned but I have always owned some expensive stuff for my age. I started with my Monster Turbine Gold ($350 or something) back those 8 or so years ago. After they finally broke apart, I purchased the UM Pro 50s. They not only were a different quality of product all together, the sound was amazing. It was what got me into the BA-IEM game instead of Dynamic.
I deeply enjoy the sound and quality that it produced. While I have not had the problem with the MMCX connector, I feel that its a large problem with many IEMs that choose to use that type of connector. Unless if the manufacture process improved, Westone will continue to face problems. The housing that holds the MMCX in the IEMs is decent but not encasing enough. Several flaws is the way the connector itself is shaped. Since the female connector (IEM side) is actually round with two small long pins, there's not much to grip to. Compare that to the 2-pin solution which has a shape that allows from gripping by the two shells.​
There are few ways to solve this problem, from the way I see it: Use a special adhesive that bonds the metal connector to the 2 plastic shells or produce a partial redesign on the outer portion of the MMCX connector to make it less "round". Seeing as I am not versed at the guys who actually work and produce these things, I'm merely stating based by what I am seeing.

I hope they are taking this problem seriously.   Probably expensive to change the manufacturing process.  I didn't have any issues with my um pro 50's but sold them, and miss them.  They need to get this sorted out so I can acquire another pair.

Oct 14, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #1,602 of 3,037

I hope they are taking this problem seriously.   Probably expensive to change the manufacturing process.  I didn't have any issues with my um pro 50's but sold them, and miss them.  They need to get this sorted out so I can acquire another pair.

Redesigning the MMCX from the ground up might be expensive or not so I think the adhesive will solve the problem. Though the problem exists as the adhesive has very little to bite on the connector itself.​
I still have my W60s and enjoy every bit of it. They might have fixed the problems. When I got my replacement W60, I got a revision 4 so revisions definitely take place within Westone's inventory.

Oct 15, 2015 at 5:01 AM Post #1,603 of 3,037
There are few ways to solve this problem, from the way I see it: Use a special adhesive that bonds the metal connector to the 2 plastic shells or produce a partial redesign on the outer portion of the MMCX connector to make it less "round".

1. It is hard to find the adhesive that will bond plastic parts as hard as it needed in order not to rotate or move, and at the same time will not leak inside the contacts, will not leave traces on the enclosure when removed, will not make cable fixed (undetachable) and finally will handle all secretions that the human skin produces.
2. Making the connector less round is a temporary measure. It will lead to rapid contacts erosion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back