Westone UM PRO Series Thread
Sep 28, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #1,561 of 3,037

I didn't think I'd ever do this, as I've been using flag-ship Westone earphones from their UM range very happily for the past ten years, but I'm seriously considering getting some Shure SE846 instead. I know they also use MMCX connectors but I also hear they are built like a tank.

Don't buy the SE846 as there are more problems with it cutting in and out. But its up to you. I would call or email them and tell them that you go another defective and the reasons to warrant such.

Sep 28, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #1,562 of 3,037
I read through a fair bit of the Shure SE846 review thread yesterday, just to see if they have similar connector issues to the Westone UM Pros.

I got the impression from the posts that I read that some people have had problems with the sound cutting in and out but only if they use a replacement cable, which might have slightly different connectors, rather than the default stock cable. I was planning on sticking with the stock cable so I thought it might not be an issue.

But I won't pull the trigger on purchasing the SE846 until I've had a chance to read through the thread and I'm certain I won't end up with another issue prone product ... once bitten, twice shy!

I emailed Westone a couple of days ago, but there's been a weekend and we're in different time zones, so I guess it'll take them a while to respond (I think it's currently still only about 8.30 in the morning in Colorado) but I hope I hear back from them some time in the next 24 hours.

Sep 28, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #1,563 of 3,037
  I read through a fair bit of the Shure SE846 review thread yesterday, just to see if they have similar connector issues to the Westone UM Pros.

I got the impression from the posts that I read that some people have had problems with the sound cutting in and out but only if they use a replacement cable, which might have slightly different connectors, rather than the default stock cable. I was planning on sticking with the stock cable so I thought it might not be an issue.

But I won't pull the trigger on purchasing the SE846 until I've had a chance to read through the thread and I'm certain I won't end up with another issue prone product ... once bitten, twice shy!

I emailed Westone a couple of days ago, but there's been a weekend and we're in different time zones, so I guess it'll take them a while to respond (I think it's currently still only about 8.30 in the morning in Colorado) but I hope I hear back from them some time in the next 24 hours.

Give them a while. They are really good with getting back to you, especially when you call. Those guys are awesome. The SE846 are cool and all but I'm personally saving up for the K10U or something.

Sep 30, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #1,564 of 3,037

The female connector of my right earpiece has become loose after a month of very careful use. If you look closely, it has widened on the sides (looks a bit oval/flat) for whatever reason, making the cable connection not as secure as it used to be. No sound disruption,but still, this is a quality flaw that I didn't expect from a $400, made in the U.S. IEM. It just doesn't feel sturdy enough.

Sep 30, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #1,565 of 3,037

The female connector of my right earpiece has become loose after a month of very careful use. If you look closely, it has widened on the sides (looks a bit oval/flat) for whatever reason, making the cable connection not as secure as it used to be. No sound disruption,but still, this is a quality flaw that I didn't expect from a $400, made in the U.S. IEM. It just doesn't feel sturdy enough.

There's a ring around the male connector on the cable. Try to stretch that out a little. That ring is responsible for mating the two sides together. It also causes the iconic click with the MMCX connector.
The other fix is to get a brace ring that is found on Shure stock cables.

Oct 5, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #1,566 of 3,037
There's a ring around the male connector on the cable. Try to stretch that out a little. That ring is responsible for mating the two sides together. It also causes the iconic click with the MMCX connector.
The other fix is to get a brace ring that is found on Shure stock cables.

Thanks for your input! However I have no intent to tamper with a $400 gadget that is still under its 2-year warranty. For now I'll leave it as it is, and if it gets worse I'll send the UM Pro 30 back and ask for a refund. I would miss them, but hey, this is not acceptable.

Oct 5, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #1,567 of 3,037
Thanks for your input! However I have no intent to tamper with a $400 gadget that is still under its 2-year warranty. For now I'll leave it as it is, and if it gets worse I'll send the UM Pro 30 back and ask for a refund. I would miss them, but hey, this is not acceptable.

Does the problem exist with new cables? Basically if the problem exists with other cables, there's most likely a problem with the female side. If it wiggles, it's cool but it should never have cutout with the audio.
The little washer that is on Shure cables prevents their cables from wiggling all together. MMCX is great but ruined by cheaper parts.

Oct 7, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #1,568 of 3,037
I've gone ahead and purchased some Shure SE846, so my new and unused warranty replacement UM Pro 50 are up for sale if anyone is interested ...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/783379/westone-um-pro-50-new-and-unused

Oct 7, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #1,569 of 3,037
  I've gone ahead and purchased some Shure SE846, so my new and unused warranty replacement UM Pro 50 are up for sale if anyone is interested ...

I personally wouldn't trade the umPro 50 sound for the se846.  You sure you are selling the right pair?

Oct 7, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #1,570 of 3,037
Salute :D I read all this thread and uff firstly it was long and secondly UM Pro 50 what is this for IEM :D such as love and hate impression via all thread! I wanted them but now I do not really know. 

So I will try describe what I liked in my beloved UM3X which I do not have 2-3 years. I used Shure Olive tips which sounded clearly best in my opinon. It was far from perfect for example LCD2 was clearly better (but far from perfect too :D) but I did like almost every song I played from UM3X via Sansa Clip so wow. Probably because of their accuracy, feeling realism in vocals instruments emotion it sounded like complex, this is factors which probably suited the most to my liking. I do not even think that sound was somewhat warm as many here describe that UM series is. 
So this is reason I wanted buy UM Pro 50. 

I found myslef I like also Audeze LCDX sound character also realism, sounded as complex, natural more on warmer side but still clear accurate if that make sense and not thick as LCD2 "sometimes" for example.
But I want speaker system for home listening so Audeze is passé. And only one headphone will be IEM. Is UM Pro 50 for me or something else? I had in past also JH13 it was better than UM3X but I liked UM3X more.

Oct 7, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #1,571 of 3,037
  Salute :D I read all this thread and uff firstly it was long and secondly UM Pro 50 what is this for IEM :D such as love and hate impression via all thread! I wanted them but now I do not really know. 

So I will try describe what I liked in my beloved UM3X which I do not have 2-3 years. I used Shure Olive tips which sounded clearly best in my opinon. It was far from perfect for example LCD2 was clearly better (but far from perfect too :D) but I did like almost every song I played from UM3X via Sansa Clip so wow. Probably because of their accuracy, feeling realism in vocals instruments emotion it sounded like complex, this is factors which probably suited the most to my liking. I do not even think that sound was somewhat warm as many here describe that UM series is. 
So this is reason I wanted buy UM Pro 50. 

I found myslef I like also Audeze LCDX sound character also realism, sounded as complex, natural more on warmer side but still clear accurate if that make sense and not thick as LCD2 "sometimes" for example.
But I want speaker system for home listening so Audeze is passé. And only one headphone will be IEM. Is UM Pro 50 for me or something else? I had in past also JH13 it was better than UM3X but I liked UM3X more.

I owned the LCD X in the past and thought it was very good as well.   I can't say the pro 50 have the same sound signature but on its own the Um Pro 50's have a very addicting sound signature.   Lots of low end presence without loosing any mid and high detail.  

Oct 7, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #1,572 of 3,037

At least wait 'til SE846 arrives and share with us your comparison impression
wink.gif

Oct 7, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #1,573 of 3,037

I personally wouldn't trade the umPro 50 sound for the se846.  You sure you are selling the right pair?

I know where you're coming from. The SE846 are built like tanks, but I think I prefer the UM Pro 50 sound. The UM Pro 50 lack a little bit of the treble and mid detail of the SE846 but I'm finding the SE846's much trumpeted sub-bass woofer a bit underwhelming, and the soundstage on the SE846 is tiny compared to the UM Pro 50. Overall the UM Pro 50 is warmer, more airy, and in my opinion just more enjoyable to listen to.

That said, I want to give myself time to get used to the SE846 ... they may grow on me.

Westone have sent me a warranty replacement pair of UM Pro 50, as my last pair had a dodgy lose connector on the right side and the left side had started to get a bit lose as well. But unusually Westone didn't ask me to return the old UM Pro 50 - I think this is due to the fact that the dodgy pair I currently possess were themselves a warranty replacement for another pair I only just sent back a month ago and I was a bit miffed about having to pay out for international shipping a second time in quick succession.

I'm keeping hold of the dodgy old pair of UM Pro 50, and I'll see if there's anything I can do to fix the lose connectors myself ... but the replacement pair have gone on sale to help fund the new SE846.

One other thing I will say for Westone is that their customer service is fantastic. They made sure that the latest earphones I received went through two checks for quality control before I received them. And I don't know if they have improved their manufacturing process but the connectors on the most recent pair I received are far more sturdy than on the previous two pairs I've had.

Oct 7, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #1,574 of 3,037

I know where you're coming from. The SE846 are built like tanks, but I think I prefer the UM Pro 50 sound. The UM Pro 50 lack a little bit of the treble and mid detail of the SE846 but I'm finding the SE846's much trumpeted sub-bass woofer a bit underwhelming, and the soundstage on the SE846 is tiny compared to the UM Pro 50. Overall the UM Pro 50 is warmer, more airy, and in my opinion just more enjoyable to listen to.

That said, I want to give myself time to get used to the SE846 ... they may grow on me.

Westone have sent me a warranty replacement pair of UM Pro 50, as my last pair had a dodgy lose connector on the right side and the left side had started to get a bit lose as well. But unusually Westone didn't ask me to return the old UM Pro 50 - I think this is due to the fact that the dodgy pair I currently possess were themselves a warranty replacement for another pair I only just sent back a month ago and I was a bit miffed about having to pay out for international shipping a second time in quick succession.

I'm keeping hold of the dodgy old pair of UM Pro 50, and I'll see if there's anything I can do to fix the lose connectors myself ... but the replacement pair have gone on sale to help fund the new SE846.

One other thing I will say for Westone is that their customer service is fantastic. They made sure that the latest earphones I received went through two checks for quality control before I received them. And I don't know if they have improved their manufacturing process but the connectors on the most recent pair I received are far more sturdy than on the previous two pairs I've had.

Why not re-shell your "dodgy" UM Pro 50?  That's what I did, waiting for Inearz to send me a new re-shelled version :)

Oct 7, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #1,575 of 3,037

Why not re-shell your "dodgy" UM Pro 50?  That's what I did, waiting for Inearz to send me a new re-shelled version :)

I'm not sure customs are for me.

I had four attempts, by two different companies, at just getting some custom sleeves made for my UM Pro 50 when I first bought them.

First pair were fine on the right side, but lose on the left.

I had to return both sides, and the same company then made me a new pair but sent them to completely the wrong address (hundreds of miles from where I actually live) and they were lost forever.

They gave me a refund, as they cocked up with the postage, but also sent me a third pair of sleeves. This time they sent me a pair of sleeves (in a different colour to what I'd asked for) ... the left side were a bit lose and the right side were a bit tight.

I used the refund I received to try a completely different company. The finish on the sleeves they sent me weren't great and they seemed to be very different sizes - the left was a decent fit, but the right side were far too large and became agonisingly painful after a few minutes.They were probably the most useless pair I'd received yet.

At this point I threw them in the bin and I decided to just give up, as I was sick of the hassle of getting ear impressions taken, getting my hopes up, and then having them dashed.

It was a bit of a disaster and put me off ever getting full customs made. 

I'm finding the fit of the both the UM Pro 50 and SE846 more comfortable and a lot less irritating than any of the custom sleeves I tried. The fit of the SE846 in particular is so good it's practically like wearing a custom fit anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back