Westone UM PRO Series Thread
Sep 8, 2015 at 6:46 AM Post #1,531 of 3,037
Nice pictures. I like Westone's new unboxing experience very much. It just looks so organized and clean.

Happy listening with your new baby! 
etysmile.gif

Sep 8, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #1,532 of 3,037
Nice pictures. I like Westone's new unboxing experience very much. It just looks so organized and clean.

Happy listening with your new baby! 
etysmile.gif

Me too. I liked w30 packaging and Pro 50 looks even better.

At first glance the imaging and soundstage are better by a country mile than that of the Pro 30.

Rule of math: If it seems easy, you're doing it wrong.

Sep 9, 2015 at 3:06 AM Post #1,533 of 3,037
Give them at least a few weeks of good running in... I connected mine overnight to a 24/7 radio channel to speed up the process. You will find that the initial "veil" that some describe will slowly lift and the warm detail will become more apparent. Enjoy your UM-pro 50 straight out of the iPhone 6 like I do :wink:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 9, 2015 at 5:27 AM Post #1,534 of 3,037
Give them at least a few weeks of good running in... I connected mine overnight to a 24/7 radio channel to speed up the process. You will find that the initial "veil" that some describe will slowly lift and the warm detail will become more apparent. Enjoy your UM-pro 50 straight out of the iPhone 6 like I do :wink:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't hear any veil just a laid back treble which i appreciate because my ears are quite sensitive to treble (specially as i crank up the volume which with Pro 50 is almost always because they sound too bloody good :)

Out of my iPhone 6 the sound is amazing. I have tried them amped (iPod Classic 7G + iBasso t3) and it brings almost nothing to the table (This amped setup was bit more fruitul with the W30).

After a 1 day tenure what has impressed me the most is the subbass and the imaging. Best i have ever heard in both instances.

Have not heard the SE846 but i bet that the Pro 50 gives it a run for its money.

Sep 9, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #1,535 of 3,037

I don't hear any veil just a laid back treble which i appreciate because my ears are quite sensitive to treble (specially as i crank up the volume which with Pro 50 is almost always because they sound too bloody good :)

Out of my iPhone 6 the sound is amazing. I have tried them amped (iPod Classic 7G + iBasso t3) and it brings almost nothing to the table (This amped setup was bit more fruitul with the W30).

After a 1 day tenure what has impressed me the most is the subbass and the imaging. Best i have ever heard in both instances.

I agree that "veil" is the wrong word and "laid back treble" is more accurate. Having replaced the stock cable after a month or so with the DIY Silver Poison has brought it up a notch extending the detail upwards (as in even more open sounding) and downwards (as in even better defined bass and sub bass). Not a single time did I even consider an amped solution with the 6 plus... I too caught myself playing louder now and still without any listening fatigue than when I used my Shure's before... Great on my commute to and from work when able to drown out the background chatter and noise ^_^

Sep 9, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #1,536 of 3,037

I agree that "veil" is the wrong word and "laid back treble" is more accurate. Having replaced the stock cable after a month or so with the DIY Silver Poison has brought it up a notch extending the detail upwards (as in even more open sounding) and downwards (as in even better defined bass and sub bass). Not a single time did I even consider an amped solution with the 6 plus... I too caught myself playing louder now and still without any listening fatigue than when I used my Shure's before... Great on my commute to and from work when able to drown out the background chatter and noise ^_^

Off topic @ smaragd - I learned something new about Nietzsche today, thank for that. 

Sep 11, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #1,537 of 3,037
The UM Pro 50s have the insane ability of changing my emotional temperature in a heartbeat.

Waking up at 5:30 am to do strength training prior to getting to the office was always a pitiful experience...until the Pro 50s entered my life. At the 3rd or 4th song i just want to dance, play guitar, drums, sing and hug everybody who passes by (that look quite asleep since they don't use Pro 50s :)

These babies have quenched my thirst for the SE846s.

I stayed loyal to the Shure SE420s for 4 years and to the UM3x for 4.5 years hence i don't see myself with any other earphones any time soon. Only thing i ask to my Pro 50s is to last.

d41214d335249df4a86cd75c2aa389ee.jpg

Rule of math: If it seems easy, you're doing it wrong.

Sep 11, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #1,538 of 3,037
The UM Pro 50s have the insane ability of changing my emotional temperature in a heartbeat.

Waking up at 5:30 am to do strength training prior to getting to the office was always a pitiful experience...until the Pro 50s entered my life. At the 3rd or 4th song i just want to dance, play guitar, drums, sing and hug everybody who passes by (that look quite asleep since they don't use Pro 50s
smily_headphones1.gif

I stayed loyal to the Shure SE420s for 4 years and to the UM3x for 4.5 years hence i don't see myself with any other earphones any time soon. Only thing i ask to my Pro 50s is to last.

I love my UM Pro 50s. I'm glad there is another person on this forum that enjoys it that much. Seeing as I own both Westone's TOTL UIEMs, I find it hard to find fault in either one. Both are extremely special to me and I own both of them. Just as you said, the 50s are amazing in that they amp up the life of the song. Its extremely hard not to get pumped when listening to them. The immense amount of rhythm and feel that it provides is so unreal. Its not to say that the W60s aren't that way either, which they very much are, they simply are not as "in your face" about its nature.

Listening to Suffer by Charlie Puth is so unreal out of both. On one hand, the 50s showcases the song's soulful nature and builds on it. The rhythm of all the notes and the smoothness of the instruments are extremely satisfying. If we were to take it as it is, the 50s color the sound to a great extent because of its "dark" nature. However, that cannot be taken away from the skill these IEMs provide. These build on the instruments that are there and builds on their qualities. Pulling everything excellent and unique about each one, showcasing them for the forefront of your ears.
While the same song running through the W60s are, in short, smooth and "cleaner". To expand this description, it keeps the same dark nature, or of similar basic sound, and expands upon the higher registers of sound. These are quite a joy to listen to. As stated prior, the W60s are not nearly as dark as the 50s. While it gives up a little of the forceful rhythm that the 50s grabs and drags you into, it provides air and openness. In a better description, the W60s' sound is one that surrounds you, creating a world the consumes your aural senses that allows you to fall into its sound, while the 50s drags the listener into audio bliss, regardless of if they want to or not.
They are powerful IEMs, and I'm glad I bought them. Surprisingly enough, I find myself using the W60s more now that I have them. However, I use my 50s extensively when I am singing and recording audio tracks. Its amazing on how much these little things can do compared to many larger competitor IEMs.

Sep 12, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #1,539 of 3,037

Waking up at 5:30 am to do strength training prior to getting to the office was always a pitiful experience...until the Pro 50s entered my life. At the 3rd or 4th song i just want to dance, play guitar, drums, sing and hug everybody who passes by (that look quite asleep since they don't use Pro 50s
smily_headphones1.gif

I love my UM Pro 50s. I'm glad there is another person on this forum that enjoys it that much. Seeing as I own both Westone's TOTL UIEMs, I find it hard to find fault in either one. Both are extremely special to me and I own both of them. Just as you said, the 50s are amazing in that they amp up the life of the song. Its extremely hard not to get pumped when listening to them. The immense amount of rhythm and feel that it provides is so unreal. Its not to say that the W60s aren't that way either, which they very much are, they simply are not as "in your face" about its nature.

Listening to Suffer by Charlie Puth is so unreal out of both. On one hand, the 50s showcases the song's soulful nature and builds on it. The rhythm of all the notes and the smoothness of the instruments are extremely satisfying. If we were to take it as it is, the 50s color the sound to a great extent because of its "dark" nature. However, that cannot be taken away from the skill these IEMs provide. These build on the instruments that are there and builds on their qualities. Pulling everything excellent and unique about each one, showcasing them for the forefront of your ears.
While the same song running through the W60s are, in short, smooth and "cleaner". To expand this description, it keeps the same dark nature, or of similar basic sound, and expands upon the higher registers of sound. These are quite a joy to listen to. As stated prior, the W60s are not nearly as dark as the 50s. While it gives up a little of the forceful rhythm that the 50s grabs and drags you into, it provides air and openness. In a better description, the W60s' sound is one that surrounds you, creating a world the consumes your aural senses that allows you to fall into its sound, while the 50s drags the listener into audio bliss, regardless of if they want to or not.
They are powerful IEMs, and I'm glad I bought them. Surprisingly enough, I find myself using the W60s more now that I have them. However, I use my 50s extensively when I am singing and recording audio tracks. Its amazing on how much these little things can do compared to many larger competitor IEMs.

That was a great post. Thank you.

I think i can get you.

I had the W30 and i liked them a lot. Had not they failed i would still have them.

Aside from the W50 which i did not like i find that new Westone line sounds very good. Too bad that their marketing budget was set to 0$.

If there is a wrong place and a wrong time, I’ll be there.

Sep 13, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #1,540 of 3,037
W60 is technically a tad better than Pro50 but Pro50 bass is crazy good and fun.  The overall heavy thick sound drags you emotionally into the music. Very detailed and treble is more of a warm shimmer versus a bright shine.

("run for the money with SE846?")  After listening to both, I'm not sure how anyone would prefer SE846 over Pro50.

Sep 15, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #1,541 of 3,037
  W60 is technically a tad better than Pro50 but Pro50 bass is crazy good and fun.  The overall heavy thick sound drags you emotionally into the music. Very detailed and treble is more of a warm shimmer versus a bright shine.

("run for the money with SE846?")  After listening to both, I'm not sure how anyone would prefer SE846 over Pro50.

+1 that! I also tested the SE846 vs the Pro 50 and even though the SE846 is no slouch I never had that "wow" effect when I compared both for an hour or so a year and a half ago. Then recently went back to compare the W60 with the Pro 50 and I too have to conclude that the Pro 50 is the master of emotions in music listening. The W60 never wowed me being too clean, too flat, too neutral. It really depends on your taste actually. Some may prefer the W60 for its neutrality but some of us as proven in this thread like to be swept away emotionally in their listening adventures and my Pro 50 will be there for me for an unforeseeable time. 

Sep 15, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #1,542 of 3,037

+1 that! I also tested the SE846 vs the Pro 50 and even though the SE846 is no slouch I never had that "wow" effect when I compared both for an hour or so a year and a half ago. Then recently went back to compare the W60 with the Pro 50 and I too have to conclude that the Pro 50 is the master of emotions in music listening. The W60 never wowed me being too clean, too flat, too neutral. It really depends on your taste actually. Some may prefer the W60 for its neutrality but some of us as proven in this thread like to be swept away emotionally in their listening adventures and my Pro 50 will be there for me for an unforeseeable time. 

I like the W60s because they are so clean. Actually, they are a step from neutral because they are classified as dark. Compared to the 50s, then yes, I can agree. As my quick impressions above states, both are quite good. They both draw you in two very different ways. While the Pro 50s forcefully pulls you into the rhythm and emotions of the song. Meanwhile, the W60s lets you decide how to feel and let's you feel the music. I won't deny that the Pro 50s are amazing, while extremely dark, they create a wondrous sense of rhythm and really creates emphasis on that song's characteristics. 

Sep 16, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #1,544 of 3,037
  Can anyone suggest some good tips for the UM Pro 50? I actually like the Shure with them and the silicon stock tips, but looking for something with a better seal. Loving these so much more than even the UM3X.

imho, if you're not getting a good enough seal using either stock westone or shure tips (both of which cover every possible fitment), I think you need to experiment with different sizes, maybe move up a size bigger to see if you are going to get a better seal?

If everything else fails, re-shell them to CIEMs :wink:  Inearz service is $125 to reshell any IEM (up to 6 drivers) to CIEM...

Sep 16, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #1,545 of 3,037

imho, if you're not getting a good enough seal using either stock westone or shure tips (both of which cover every possible fitment), I think you need to experiment with different sizes, maybe move up a size bigger to see if you are going to get a better seal?

If everything else fails, re-shell them to CIEMs :wink:  Inearz service is $125 to reshell any IEM (up to 6 drivers) to CIEM...

That's pretty cheap to reshell. I only worry about the quality of the shell and the overall work that they do compared to the more expensive names. While price do not always mean better work or even better quality, it does play a large part in it.​

Can anyone suggest some good tips for the UM Pro 50? I actually like the Shure with them and the silicon stock tips, but looking for something with a better seal. Loving these so much more than even the UM3X.

As Twister said, you could reshell the IEMs. Westone has quite a large selection of stock tips. Aside from that, they also have their UM56 custom eartips. As I own a pair, they are awesome and I always recommend it. However, a few people have stated they did not like the way it sounded on the W60s. Its up to you to decide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back