Westone UM PRO Series Thread
Aug 28, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #1,501 of 3,037
Sorry, I see on the Post Office website that I could use their "International Signed For" service for just £12.45 (compensation cover up to £50) or £14.95 (compensation cover up to £250).

I guess that the Royal Mail website was quoting me a lot higher price as I was entering the value as "up to £500".

I'm not keen on sending something using a service where it's not fully covered, in the event of loss or damage, but I'll probably take that chance.

Having to fill out customs forms get's on my nerves. I've had experience in the past where the person behind the counter at the Post Office couldn't get their head around the concept that I was sending something back to be repaired, so I wanted the item covered for it's full value in case of loss or damage, but the value of the package was £0 in terms of custom fees.

I should point out that I used that service in the past to send impressions which were worth £30 so that part wasn't an issue for me. Have used it a few times however and not had an issue.

I have had to to cope with that proform invoice that is mandatory in order that ANY stuff sent from Europe can enter the U.S. I even had to ask Westone for their ESN because Fedex warned me that any blank field on the invoice could cause the parcel to be rejected by US customs.

Declared value eas 1$ (i was commanded to to do so by Westone).

I few years back i sent for repairs a Zune to the US (from Europe) and i did not do any paperwork. Seems that regulations have tightened since.

Rule of math: If it seems easy, you're doing it wrong.

Aug 30, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #1,502 of 3,037
Gentlemen, I'm currently ready to pull out my credit card to buy a pair of UM Pro 30, but I was wondering: does the clear version's plastic shell (or whatever it is made of) turn yellowish with time? Thanks :)

Aug 30, 2015 at 6:14 AM Post #1,503 of 3,037
  Gentlemen, I'm currently ready to pull out my credit card to buy a pair of UM Pro 30, but I was wondering: does the clear version's plastic shell (or whatever it is made of) turn yellowish with time? Thanks :)

I don't believe the clear versions change color with time.

The UM Pro series haven't been around that long, so I can't say 100% that they won't, but I would imagine the material is much the same as used on older Westone model, such as UM2 or UM3x, and they never changed color.

Aug 30, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #1,505 of 3,037

Should never do that.  It is typically clear cables that oxidize and turn green but not the IEM shell itself.

Aug 30, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #1,506 of 3,037
Should never do that.  It is typically clear cables that oxidize and turn green but not the IEM shell itself.

What he is asking about is UV degradation on the plastic housing, thus the yellowing. What you are referring to is oxidation on the copper cables itself.

Sep 1, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #1,508 of 3,037
Thanks for the replies guys! 

My UM Pro 30 are now on their way with TNT 24hr delivery service (bought on ToneMove).

Can't wait to listen to them again, as I had tried these bad boys in Hong Kong on my summer holidays (along with W30 and W40 which in comparison didn't move me) but hesitated to pull the trigger on it. It will be a nice addition alongside my Etys 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 2, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #1,510 of 3,037
I tried them all W and UM-Pro and eventually settled for the UM-Pro 50. You won't regret but give the stock cable a couple weeks to "burn in" and settle. It made all the difference to me but in the end I opted to swap the stock cable for a more revealing one to add a bit more detail and extension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 2, 2015 at 6:45 AM Post #1,511 of 3,037
It's not supposed to swivel. The female connector and internal cables on the UM-Pro series are supposed to be fixed. It's the male connector on the cable that's supposed to swivel.
Mine is fine so far and touch wood it stays that way. I have however changed to stock cable with a DIY silver/gold and never looked back at the stock one...

Who made your cable?

Sep 2, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #1,514 of 3,037
Whatever you choose or make to pair with the UM-Pro series avoid silver plated copper as these often introduce harshness, sibilance ... Pure silver cables may add more detail but have a thin sounding bass. Silver + Gold have something magic with the UM-Pro series :sunglasses:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 2, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #1,515 of 3,037
  It seems that today my Westone UM Pro 50 are being shipped to me.

I hope i don't regret having upgraded from the Westone W30 that i quite liked...

I don't think you will regret it. The 50 sound signature is very addicting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back