Westone UM PRO Series Thread
Aug 27, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #1,471 of 3,037
I got an email from someone at Westone who is going to give me an RMA to return my faulty UM Pro50 earphones.

I told them I've a big fan of Westone products (I've now owned the UM2, UM3x, UM3x RC and the UM Pro50) but the cable connectors on the UM Pro series seem like a week spot.

I just held them up to a lamp and it looks like the small red wire inside the shell, which links to the cable connector, have snapped on both sides. The wires look very delicate and, it seems to me, it's a bit of a design fault that rotation of the cables (which are designed to rotate 360 degrees) should also rotate the wire inside of the shell.

I'm sure Westone will sort them out for me but, as they've already snapped after just 6 months of light use, I'm a bit worried about the same thing happening again at a later date.

Aug 27, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #1,472 of 3,037
My right W30 experienced cutoffs due to a likely loose female pin. Somehow Westone 'tricked' me into upgrading to the UM PRO 50.

Looking forward to receive it. I used for 4.5 years Westone UM3x hence to say i'm excited it's an understatement.

I think that from 3 drivers on my emotional relation with music does not change much (while my wallet change noticiably for the worse). UM Pro 50 is gonna put this notion to test.

After a plethora of malfunctions with Westone gear (in spite of nursing it to OCD lenghts) if this set does not make it through a few years i guess i will stick just to Shure (brand that has provided me with zero failures in 9 years).

Rule of math: if it seems easy you're doing it wrong.

I found the UM Pro50 to be an improvement on the UM3x but they both have their strengths. The UM Pro50 are smoother and the sound seems more balanced, over the full spectrum, but they still have great separation and detail. But they sound more subtle and it might take a bit of time to get used to them. In comparison, the UM3x sound more forward and aggressive to my ears. The rubberized over-the-ear cable relief, on the UM Pro50 are incredibly comfortable but, as I've already stated, I think the cable connectors might be a week spot when compared to the old 2 pin connectors on the UM3x.

Aug 28, 2015 at 2:50 AM Post #1,474 of 3,037
The 2 pin scheme was so sturdy and reliable that i deeply regret that both Westone and Shure have adopted it.

Rule of math: If it seems easy, you're doing it wrong.

Aug 28, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #1,475 of 3,037
That red cable issue in the Pro 50 is scaring the s out of me.

Does this cable rotate along with the swivel on every Pro 50? If that's the way it's being designed i deem it as an accident waiting to happen and i might even cancel the Pro 50 order and ask just for another W30 set (though it might be the same design just not in sight).

Aug 28, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #1,476 of 3,037
It's not supposed to swivel. The female connector and internal cables on the UM-Pro series are supposed to be fixed. It's the male connector on the cable that's supposed to swivel.
Mine is fine so far and touch wood it stays that way. I have however changed to stock cable with a DIY silver/gold and never looked back at the stock one...

Aug 28, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #1,477 of 3,037
I also used better quality male MMCX connectors from Eidolic... Better contact I guess and less chance to rip out or loosen the female connector on the IEM body.

Aug 28, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #1,478 of 3,037
So as per design the red cable should not swivel...

First thing i'm gonna check as i unbox the Pro 50s.

In any case something's going on at Westone with the mmcx because they have tweaked tha cable design.

Aug 28, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #1,479 of 3,037
It's not supposed to swivel. The female connector and internal cables on the UM-Pro series are supposed to be fixed.

Here's an image to illustrate what happens on my UM Pro 50 ...

A) The male connector rotates 360 degrees
B) The female connector is fixed and does not rotate
C) Where the small red wire is soldered to the female connector DOES rotate and, as a result of this rotation, the wire has snapped on both earphones.

Maybe my UM Pro 50 was dodgy, and the red wires are not supposed to rotate, but it seems strange that it has happened on both sides. That suggests a design or manufacturing defect rather than an isolated dodgy connector.

I don't think upgrading the cable, or using better male connectors, would have made any difference. The problem is with the way the red wire is connected to the female connector

I'd be interested to know if the red wires in your new earphones swivel or not.

In fact, I'd be interested to know if anyone who owns the Westone UM Pro can see their red wire swivelling, or was mine just a unusual and isolated case?

In any case something's going on at Westone with the mmcx because they have tweaked tha cable design.

Where did you hear this. Do you have a source or any other information?

Thanks

Aug 28, 2015 at 7:31 AM Post #1,480 of 3,037
Central female contact not suppose to swivel, of course. But is unfortunately does quite often. The only way to fix it is to disassemble earphones and fix it with glue. For instance shure uses silicone
mold to fix it in stock.

Aug 28, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #1,482 of 3,037
I don't think upgrading the cable, or using better male connectors, would have made any difference. The problem is with the way the red wire is connected to the female connector

The problem with the stock cable is that the male centre grasps the female centre pin too tightly. This can cause the female pin to loosen up and hence make the red wire that's connected to it swivel at the same time as the male connector. When I received mine new I replaced the stock cable within a week, basically didn't have the chance to damage or loosen the female centre pin. With the new Eidolic male connectors I never experienced this tight grasp and when I swivel gently I don't see the red wire inside moving at all. Would like to keep it that way. It seems there is a batch out there either assembled with faulty female MMCX connectors or there seems to be an issue with their centre pins wearing out too fast due to the swivelling motion of the stock cable. I never tested this with the stock cable so I can't confirm if the stock cable grabbing the female centre pin too tightly as I observed is in fact the root of the problem.

Aug 28, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #1,483 of 3,037
The problem with the stock cable is that the male centre grasps the female centre pin too tightly. This can cause the female pin to loosen up and hence make the red wire that's connected to it swivel at the same time as the male connector. When I received mine new I replaced the stock cable within a week, basically didn't have the chance to damage or loosen the female centre pin. With the new Eidolic male connectors I never experienced this tight grasp and when I swivel gently I don't see the red wire inside moving at all. Would like to keep it that way. It seems there is a batch out there either assembled with faulty female MMCX connectors or there seems to be an issue with their centre pins wearing out too fast due to the swivelling motion of the stock cable. I never tested this with the stock cable so I can't confirm if the stock cable grabbing the female centre pin too tightly as I observed is in fact the root of the problem.

Okay, thanks for the info. That makes a lot of sense.

However, having spent £450 (approx $690) on the UM Pro50, I'm personally not that enthusiastic about having to splash out for an additional after-market cable.

As a long term fan of Westone, I'm really disappointed by this connector issue.

Aug 28, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #1,485 of 3,037
It's not supposed to swivel. The female connector and internal cables on the UM-Pro series are supposed to be fixed.

Here's an image to illustrate what happens on my UM Pro 50 ...

A) The male connector rotates 360 degrees
B) The female connector is fixed and does not rotate
C) Where the small red wire is soldered to the female connector DOES rotate and, as a result of this rotation, the wire has snapped on both earphones.

Maybe my UM Pro 50 was dodgy, and the red wires are not supposed to rotate, but it seems strange that it has happened on both sides. That suggests a design or manufacturing defect rather than an isolated dodgy connector.

In fact, I'd be interested to know if anyone who owns the Westone UM Pro can see their red wire swivelling, or was mine just a unusual and isolated case?

Where did you hear this. Do you have a source or any other information?

Thanks

As i get my Pro 50 i'll upload a pic of the current cable. That's all i can say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back