Westone UM PRO Series Thread
Aug 28, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #1,486 of 3,037
FTR my right W30 had dropouts only with Westone cables. With Shure cables it worked like charm.

I connected up to 4 different Westone cables and with all them audio dropped out.

With 2 custom cables and a Shure cable this W30 did not have any dropouts.

Aside from what i have been told (that i am not supposed to disclose in public) these facts says a lot me.

Shure mmcx male pin is longer than Westone and custom cables attached used Shure mmcx pins.

I rank reliability higher than sound quality hence if it is not capable of lasting i'll walk away from whatever gadget it is.

Rule of math: If it seems easy, you're doing it wrong.

Aug 28, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #1,487 of 3,037
Mail pin must grasp positive female tightly in order to make good contact. Problem is in imperfection of earphone's construction, nothing else.

Grasp tightly yes, but too tight is obviously not going to be beneficial to the quality.

I do believe there is a batch with quality control issues.

Aug 28, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #1,488 of 3,037
As i deem Westone customer service as best in business i am not overly concerned a about potential issues though. I know if problems arise Westone will take care of them in timely and generous manner. As they always do (even in out of warranty scenarios).

Just having a backup iem set might come handy for eventual downtimes.

Aug 28, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #1,489 of 3,037
I do believe there is a batch with quality control issues.

I don't.
Both of my um pro 10 and um pro 20 died the similar way: first one side started to cut out, then it's completely dead no matter what cable i'm using. 10 worked for almost a year, 20 died withing couple of weeks.
Phones were bought in difference countries, with a year between the purchases.

Aug 28, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #1,490 of 3,037
I just got an email from a lady at Westone customer service. She says ...

We have been working on a reliable fix for the cable issue as this is has become a common complaint and something we look to have taken care of very soon. However, the wire thing is very new to me.

I have to return the earphones to the USA from the UK but they are seeing if they can help me out with the cost as international delivery rates are very high.

Aug 28, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #1,492 of 3,037
2 pin setup was as reliable as my mother. In a truckload of years i never ever had a dropout.

Except for my current SE535 (purchased April 2015) all the iems with mmcx setup that i have used have had dropouts at some point.

Fortunately 95% issue goes away by cleabing the pins.

Unfortunately 100% of times when you have been using the iem for a lot of months disconnecting the cable from the earphone gets trickier and trickier due to dirt and the stifness it leads to. It is on these stiff scenarios where you can easily damage the female pin or get a cracked shell (unthinkable with Shure) but not an uncommon place in the (at least) old UM line.

Rule of math: if it seems easy you're doing it wrong.

Aug 28, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #1,493 of 3,037
I just got an email from a lady at Westone customer service. She says ...

I have to return the earphones to the USA from the UK but they are seeing if they can help me out with the cost as international delivery rates are very high.

Should be no more than £12 for ISF from your local post office. Takes about 5-6 days to get there and comes with tracking number.

Aug 28, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #1,494 of 3,037
Yes, two pin is much more reliable, although there were some problems with cracked sockets, but not frequently.

Shure mmcx has another problem. There are many issues with female central contact that is falling apart. So socket had to be replaced.

To be honest, mmcx was invented the way before it was first used in iems by shure. And it was not designed to be used in such stressful enviroment as earphones. Therefore we have so many different issues with it. And we are not even mentioned oxidizing.

Aug 28, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #1,495 of 3,037
Yes, two pin is much more reliable, although there were some problems with cracked sockets, but not frequently.

Shure mmcx has another problem. There are many issues with female central contact that is falling apart. So socket had to be replaced.

To be honest, mmcx was invented the way before it was first used in iems by shure. And it was not designed to be used in such stressful enviroment as earphones. Therefore we have so many different issues with it. And we are not even mentioned oxidizing.

Yep. Looks like an interesting idea that was rushed to the iem market way before it was ready for prime time.

As issues arise manufacturers fix em as they go...look at this W40 (new painjob and cable):

684ab8261b4724838dfca1697077d043.jpg

I expect Shure to solve issues earlier than Westone because it has more resources available (Shure revenues are 450 million vs 25 for Westone).

Aug 28, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #1,497 of 3,037
Should be no more than £12 for ISF from your local post office. Takes about 5-6 days to get there and comes with tracking number.

I don't know where you're getting that price from.

Royal Mail's website is quoting me £59.65 (from 3 days) or £62.80 (1 day guaranteed) to send a tracked small parcel to the USA.

Cheapest option I've found online is DHL at £37

Aug 28, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #1,498 of 3,037
I expect Shure to solve issues earlier than Westone because it has more resources available (Shure revenues are 450 million vs 25 for Westone).

The best way to solve this is to replace mmcx in next model ranges.

Yes indeed.

Skipping a problem is a preemptive way solving it.

Since my first mmcx experience (Shure SE215) i thought that this kind of connection in iems was treacherous way of fixing what was working (2 pin).

Longest trouble free streak with mmcx: Westone W30. Exactly 1 year of daily use.

Shortest streak: my first SE215. About 3 hours!

My Westone UM3x-rc lasted for 4.5 years and connection withstood till right drivers gave up.

Rule of math: if it seems easy you're doing it wrong.

Aug 28, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #1,499 of 3,037

I don't know where you're getting that price from.

Royal Mail's website is quoting me £59.65 (from 3 days) or £62.80 (1 day guaranteed) to send a tracked small parcel to the USA.

Cheapest option I've found online is DHL at £37

Sorry, I see on the Post Office website that I could use their "International Signed For" service for just £12.45 (compensation cover up to £50) or £14.95 (compensation cover up to £250).

I guess that the Royal Mail website was quoting me a lot higher price as I was entering the value as "up to £500".

I'm not keen on sending something using a service where it's not fully covered, in the event of loss or damage, but I'll probably take that chance.

Having to fill out customs forms get's on my nerves. I've had experience in the past where the person behind the counter at the Post Office couldn't get their head around the concept that I was sending something back to be repaired, so I wanted the item covered for it's full value in case of loss or damage, but the value of the package was £0 in terms of custom fees.

Aug 28, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #1,500 of 3,037
Sorry, I see on the Post Office website that I could use their "International Signed For" service for just £12.45 (compensation cover up to £50) or £14.95 (compensation cover up to £250).

I guess that the Royal Mail website was quoting me a lot higher price as I was entering the value as "up to £500".

I'm not keen on sending something using a service where it's not fully covered, in the event of loss or damage, but I'll probably take that chance.

Having to fill out customs forms get's on my nerves. I've had experience in the past where the person behind the counter at the Post Office couldn't get their head around the concept that I was sending something back to be repaired, so I wanted the item covered for it's full value in case of loss or damage, but the value of the package was £0 in terms of custom fees.

I should point out that I used that service in the past to send impressions which were worth £30 so that part wasn't an issue for me. Have used it a few times however and not had an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back