Westone UM PRO Series Thread
Sep 2, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #1,516 of 3,037
I had no plans to ditch the W30 but i had right channel issues and Westone put forward a Corleone-sque offer to upgrade that no sane man could turn down.

I'll post my impressions as it gets here,

Sep 2, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #1,517 of 3,037
  Central female contact not suppose to swivel, of course. But is unfortunately does quite often. The only way to fix it is to disassemble earphones and fix it with glue. For instance shure uses silicone
mold to fix it in stock.

I guess that is the problem of mine too...
Anyone with experience in disassemble UM50Pro?
Delivery taxes are toooo high here. I will try to fix'em myself

Sep 2, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #1,518 of 3,037
If you are experienced enough, you have to pay attention to following:
1. Unglue very gently. Esp. in nozzle part, Drivers can be damaged at that stage.
2. Do not use high temperature when soldering. You should do it as fast as possible. Or you can melt socket easily. If you will need to solder ground contact, pull socket out out earphone's enclosure, not to melt the enclosure.
3. Use gel glue to  securely fix central contact. (loctite 412 works fine, but it's rather expensive)
4. It is better to assemble earphones before glue (#3) is dry.
5. After assembling you need to ensure that body is absolutely sealed.  If there will be any holes this will result a sound leakage.

Sep 3, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #1,519 of 3,037
The other week, the connector from my right monitor broke off as I took it off my ear. The result was a broken wire, and I had to send it to Westone. Fortunately, I was still under warranty (bought a little less than a year ago). It was concerning that I had that issue, but fortunately they took care of me. I ended up of getting new UM Pro 50 without the fancy packaging.

It feels good to be using these again, btw. I was using my Klipsch S4 earphones for a while, and while they're better than stock IEMs, they just don't compare to the UM Pro 50.

Sep 3, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #1,520 of 3,037
  The other week, the connector from my right monitor broke off as I took it off my ear. The result was a broken wire, and I had to send it to Westone. Fortunately, I was still under warranty (bought a little less than a year ago). It was concerning that I had that issue, but fortunately they took care of me. I ended up of getting new UM Pro 50 without the fancy packaging.

It feels good to be using these again, btw. I was using my Klipsch S4 earphones for a while, and while they're better than stock IEMs, they just don't compare to the UM Pro 50.

My UM Pro 50 are on their way back to Westone right now.

You always know that Westone customer service will be excellent, but they need to do something about the dodgy connectors.

They told me that it has become a common issue and they are working on a fix. I fully expect that the connectors on my replacement UM Pro 50 will probably go dodgy within the remainder of my warranty. I hope they find that fix within the next 18 months so that my 2nd replacement pair will have a longer life.

But I wouldn't want to be without my UM Pro 50. I've temporarily returned to a pair of UM3x. They sound okay, a little more aggressive the the UM Pro 50, but I now find the old over-the-ear cable relief too inflexible and quite annoying.

Sep 3, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #1,521 of 3,037
Just posted my review of the UM Pro 30: http://www.head-fi.org/products/westone-um-pro-30/reviews/13910

So far I'm enjoying them a lot! However I seem to also have the connector/red cable issue. Nothing bad right now, I hope it won't deteriorate too much with time. Just in case I have the reseller's 2-year warranty, so I could always send them back should a component die (I'm in Paris so there's no way I send them back to Westone). Still, this is too bad for a 300EUR unit. Well, let's wait & see! 
etysmile.gif

Sep 3, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #1,522 of 3,037
  So far I'm enjoying them a lot! However I seem to also have the connector/red cable issue.

Thanks for the review of your UM Pro 30.

Can you clarify something. Are you saying that if you rotate the connector on your UM Pro 30 you can also see the red wire inside of the earphone rotate as well?

Customer service at Westone told me that problems with the MMCX connectors had become common, but I was the first person to have reported that the red wire inside the earphone rotates. I'm just curious if my UM Pro 50 really were a one-off problem or whether it's a standard default, straight out of the box, and across the range.

Thanks

Sep 3, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #1,523 of 3,037
Having had to send back a just 1 yeard old W30 due to the right mmcx ailing connection and now waitiing for the Pro 50 all these recurring mmcx issues are scaring the s out of me.

Sep 3, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #1,524 of 3,037
For whatever reason I've had bad luck with my UM30's; the left driver gave out mysteriously, and my replacement pair soon encountered cable issues.  A real pity, as they sound quite good for their price.

Sep 3, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #1,525 of 3,037
I keep seeing the UM3XRC for sale for $249 (brand new from auth dealers) with 2 year warranty and it is tough not to pull the trigger - and since there isn't as much a difference between them and the Pro30 - I still might. Anybody else think this is a good idea? (or the opposite?)

I like the fact they still have the 2-pin - but I haven't had any issues with my Pro50's

Oh, well....

Sep 3, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #1,526 of 3,037
  Can you clarify something. Are you saying that if you rotate the connector on your UM Pro 30 you can also see the red wire inside of the earphone rotate as well?

Customer service at Westone told me that problems with the MMCX connectors had become common, but I was the first person to have reported that the red wire inside the earphone rotates. I'm just curious if my UM Pro 50 really were a one-off problem or whether it's a standard default, straight out of the box, and across the range.

Thanks

My current problem is not that bad actually. In fact I've noticed that the R connector had become loose barely a day after unboxing, and that when moving it from side to side, the inner red cable would move as well (only to the sides, no twisting so far): when I move the plug to the right, the cable would go to the left, same thing the other way. Also when I fit the right earpiece it into my ear, the connection between the cable's plug and the connector makes a small clicking noise. The L connector, in comparison, is in a perfect shape: still tight, with nothing moving inside. At that point I do not think that this issue could cause further damage at all, but to me this still feels like a design/quality control negligence. I've unplugged the cable only once, and always used the UM Pro 30 in "normal conditions of use". Besides, I am kind of a perfectionist myself, which really doesn't help.

Apart from that, I had a smile on my face today while listening to AC/DC live at Atlantic studios with these babies. It just sounds so real and immersive, and pace is impressive. Now listening to Diana Krall. So smooth.

Edit: got through some trouble this morning: both channels would all of a sudden cut for around 30sec, then come back on altogether. It happened 3 times. Anybody experienced this problem? I don't think the time for me to clean up the connectors with DeoxIt has already come(!)

Sep 4, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #1,527 of 3,037
  I keep seeing the UM3XRC for sale for $249 (brand new from auth dealers) with 2 year warranty and it is tough not to pull the trigger - and since there isn't as much a difference between them and the Pro30 - I still might. Anybody else think this is a good idea? (or the opposite?)

I couldn't detect any sound differences between UM3X and UM PRO 30, so if memory wire doesn't bother you too much, i think older model is a better deal

got through some trouble this morning: both channels would all of a sudden cut for around 30sec, then come back on altogether. It happened 3 times. Anybody experienced this problem? 

I had it with one side of my um pro 20, it was a first step before it died completely

Sep 4, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #1,528 of 3,037
  I had it with one side of my um pro 20, it was a first step before it died completely

Good to hear! I feel kind of relieved now haha

Edit: false alert, I think my old DAP is starting to have some playback problems. I didn't encounter the issue on my Mac. Phew!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back