Westone UM PRO Series Thread
Sep 16, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #1,546 of 3,037

imho, if you're not getting a good enough seal using either stock westone or shure tips (both of which cover every possible fitment), I think you need to experiment with different sizes, maybe move up a size bigger to see if you are going to get a better seal?

If everything else fails, re-shell them to CIEMs :wink:  Inearz service is $125 to reshell any IEM (up to 6 drivers) to CIEM...

That's pretty cheap to reshell. I only worry about the quality of the shell and the overall work that they do compared to the more expensive names. While price do not always mean better work or even better quality, it does play a large part in it.​

Can anyone suggest some good tips for the UM Pro 50? I actually like the Shure with them and the silicon stock tips, but looking for something with a better seal. Loving these so much more than even the UM3X.

As Twister said, you could reshell the IEMs. Westone has quite a large selection of stock tips. Aside from that, they also have their UM56 custom eartips. As I own a pair, they are awesome and I always recommend it. However, a few people have stated they did not like the way it sounded on the W60s. Its up to you to decide.

Inearz are pretty good, I just recently tested and reviewed their own 6-driver P650 CIEM model (review is still on the cover of head-fi, and btw its sound edges out W60).

The question of reshelled sound quality interests me as well.  Obviously, you are changing the acoustic enclosure and CIEMs usually have multi-path bores going to the tip, separating lows, mids, treble driver groups.  Since I happen to have an extra defective UM Pro 50 unit (cracked shell, otherwise drivers are OK, long story...), I sent it out a few days ago to Inearz for reshelling.  So, hopefully in a month or so will be able to write a review/comparison of re-shelled Pro 50 vs original Pro 50.

Sep 16, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #1,547 of 3,037

Inearz are pretty good, I just recently tested and reviewed their own 6-driver P650 CIEM model (review is still on the cover of head-fi, and btw its sound edges out W60).

The question of reshelled sound quality interests me as well.  Obviously, you are changing the acoustic enclosure and CIEMs usually have multi-path bores going to the tip, separating lows, mids, treble driver groups.  Since I happen to have an extra defective UM Pro 50 unit (cracked shell, otherwise drivers are OK, long story...), I sent it out a few days ago to Inearz for reshelling.  So, hopefully in a month or so will be able to write a review/comparison of re-shelled Pro 50 vs original Pro 50.

I look forward to reading the review on that. I finally have a quality DAP, Questyle QP1R, so I am doing a massive amount of testing with my W60s and Pro 50s. I am severely enjoying my W60 with it. While the Pro 50 sounds good, it just doesn't sound as nice to me as the W60s. But it could be just I am now used to the W60's sound signature.

How long is their turn around time for their reshelling service?​

Sep 23, 2015 at 3:52 AM Post #1,548 of 3,037
At first i liked the Westone UM Pro 50.

Two weeks after getting them i do love them. It's gonna be a warm, cozy and delightful winter season.

And they cope shockingly well with source output impedance. I think my iPod Classic (Z=5) never sounded that full straight out of the headphone out. To the point that most of the time i don't bother taking out of the drawer the LOD and the iBasso T3. What it brings to table is neglectible unless you're focused on the sound  instead of the music.

Sep 26, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #1,549 of 3,037
I sent my faulty Westone Um Pro 50s back for a warranty replacement, due to dodgy cable connectors, and 3 weeks later I received a brand new pair.

I now have a working pair of earphones again, and the UM Pro 50s do sound amazing, but the new pair have a loose, wobbly connector in the right earphone and I occasionally hear it clicking against the inside of the plastic casing if I turn my head. I just went for an hour long walk and I heard the click 4 times. That may not be that often but it's still 4 more times than I wanted to hear it.

Westone have consistently produced great sounding, comfortable earphones, but they have really messed up the implementation of these new mmcx cable connectors.

My love affair with their products may be coming to an end.

Sep 26, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #1,551 of 3,037
  Clean and brush off the connector area.  This was happening all the time with new Shure IEM's (UE900 too) and the cleaning process would fix it.

DeoxIT
biggrin.gif

Sep 26, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #1,552 of 3,037
FTR i had problems with mmcx on my W30s and cleaning did not fix it. I wish that for next generations Westone would switch back to the 2 pin connection. MMCX is a pain to deal with in the long run.

If the tonality it's not right, then nothing else really matters.

Sep 27, 2015 at 7:33 AM Post #1,553 of 3,037
  Clean and brush off the connector area.  This was happening all the time with new Shure IEM's (UE900 too) and the cleaning process would fix it.

How is cleaning the connectors (on a pair or earphones that I've only had a week, and barely used) going to stop a loose connector from rattling inside the shell? That's like telling someone with a fractured wrist to go and wash their hands.

I've emailed Westone and asked for a new replacement, but with hindsight I would prefer a refund (though I doubt I'll get one).

I've totally lost confidence in Westone's build quality, and my expectation is that any further replacement I receive is likely to go faulty in no time at all. I don't want my respect for Westone products to be any more dented than it has been.

I won't consider buying any more Westone products until they completely replace these awful MMCX connectors. They have fatally wounded what is otherwise an absolutely stellar product.

Sep 27, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #1,554 of 3,037
Okay...yada yada yada...pissed off Westone customer.  I get it.    

For the record, although I have never had problems with the new connector system, I don't care for it.  IMHO...anytime open air is introduced along with space gap variances......you are just asking for trouble in terms of an unstable connection.  I much prefer the orginal fixed connector/cable system as I never buy new cables to put on my brand new IEM's. I always figured the $100's of thousands of dollars spent  in R&D and all the sound tests were done with original cable and THAT is the cable I want knowing that is the sound I am after.

Having said that ...TCD...usually before shipment a light oil or preservative glaze is put on all connector areas to prohibit oxidization.  Remember...all IEM's are made in China sweatboxes where it is 100 degrees with 80% humidity.

My understanding is that after you receive the product, you should thoroughly clean that connector area if you are having problems.  I would use isoprophyl alcohol  and Q-tip but perhaps there are better ideas?

Sep 27, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #1,555 of 3,037
Personally, I like the MMCX connector. Aside from that, I think it's a housing problem for the connector. I don't have any problems with my 50s.
I have the save movement or play in the connector but I have no problems so it's either a matter of time before I get the same problem or its just defective and you have bad luck.

Sep 28, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #1,556 of 3,037
  Okay...yada yada yada...pissed off Westone customer.  I get it.    

For the record, although I have never had problems with the new connector system, I don't care for it.  IMHO...anytime open air is introduced along with space gap variances......you are just asking for trouble in terms of an unstable connection.  I much prefer the orginal fixed connector/cable system as I never buy new cables to put on my brand new IEM's. I always figured the $100's of thousands of dollars spent  in R&D and all the sound tests were done with original cable and THAT is the cable I want knowing that is the sound I am after.

Having said that ...TCD...usually before shipment a light oil or preservative glaze is put on all connector areas to prohibit oxidization.  Remember...all IEM's are made in China sweatboxes where it is 100 degrees with 80% humidity.

My understanding is that after you receive the product, you should thoroughly clean that connector area if you are having problems.  I would use isoprophyl alcohol  and Q-tip but perhaps there are better ideas?

I'm sure your advice will be a help to anybody experiencing an intermittent connection issues, due to dirt or oil getting between the connectors, but I don't think it has any bearing in my circumstance.

As I've said, the clicking seems to be caused by the femaile connector inside of the housing having a loose fit and tapping against the inside of the plastic housing.

I don't think any amount of cleaning the connector will stop this.

Personally, I like the MMCX connector. Aside from that, I think it's a housing problem for the connector. I don't have any problems with my 50s.
I have the save movement or play in the connector but I have no problems so it's either a matter of time before I get the same problem or its just defective and you have bad luck.

I guess MMCX connectors might be okay with better implementation, though they do seem a lot more fragile to me than the old two-pin connectors, but the UM Pro implementation is shoddy.

As you say, the housing doesn't seem to always hold the female connector securely. I don't know why Westone didn't think to use a bit of glue, or some soft foam or rubber, to help hold it in place more securely.

I didn't think I'd ever do this, as I've been using flag-ship Westone earphones from their UM range very happily for the past ten years, but I'm seriously considering getting some Shure SE846 instead. I know they also use MMCX connectors but I also hear they are built like a tank.

Sep 28, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #1,557 of 3,037
All Westones come with 2 year warranty, claim it and get it replaced, there's faulty and non faulty ones out there... had mine since April 2014 and so far no issues.

Sep 28, 2015 at 6:56 AM Post #1,558 of 3,037
  All Westones come with 2 year warranty, claim it and get it replaced, there's faulty and non faulty ones out there... had mine since April 2014 and so far no issues.

I know they have a two year warranty and that Westone will replace them. They already have replaced them once

But I've now received a replacement pair that were faulty straight out of the box (though the annoying ticking sound only started after about a week) so I've now got to go through the process of returning them yet again, and waiting another 3 weeks for a replacement (slightly slow process due  to international delivery in both directions).

Maybe it'll be third time lucky for me ... I'm sure Westone must have managed to produce some that aren't faulty, but given that they told me themselves that cable connectors faults have become a common problem and that it's happened to me twice, I've lost a bit of faith in the product. If they carry on going faulty at this rate, Westone will have to replace them 4 or 5 times within the warranty period. Perfectly good earphones going down the drain purely because they couldn't sort out a reliable method for holding the female connector securely in place. It must be costing them a fortune, and it's costing me a fair amount of money to keep returning them to the USA.

Sorry for whinging on about it, but feeling a bit gutted with the whole situation.

Sep 28, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #1,559 of 3,037

I know they have a two year warranty and that Westone will replace them. They already have replaced them once

But I've now received a replacement pair that were faulty straight out of the box (though the annoying ticking sound only started after about a week) so I've now got to go through the process of returning them yet again, and waiting another 3 weeks for a replacement (slightly slow process due  to international delivery in both directions).

Maybe it'll be third time lucky for me ... I'm sure Westone must have managed to produce some that aren't faulty, but given that they told me themselves that cable connectors faults have become a common problem and that it's happened to me twice, I've lost a bit of faith in the product. If they carry on going faulty at this rate, Westone will have to replace them 4 or 5 times within the warranty period. Perfectly good earphones going down the drain purely because they couldn't sort out a reliable method for holding the female connector securely in place. It must be costing them a fortune, and it's costing me a fair amount of money to keep returning them to the USA.

Sorry for whinging on about it, but feeling a bit gutted with the whole situation.

As a European i can get your point. It's  pain having to go overses over and over. Have you tried contacting Variphone? They are Belgium based.

Sep 28, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #1,560 of 3,037

As a European i can get your point. It's  pain having to go overses over and over. Have you tried contacting Variphone? They are Belgium based.

Originally, I contacted the dealer I bought the earphones from in the UK. He forwarded my details on to Westone, wo contacted me.

I did ask Westone if I could return the earphones to Variphone, but they told me that I had to return them to the USA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back