Westone UM PRO Series Thread
Dec 4, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #1,652 of 3,037

Keep "burn in" in mind before giving it a listen.  I feel like my Umpro30 and 50 needed a lot of burn in time before they really opened up.  The whole "Burn In" concept is new and suspicious to me but I am starting to buy into it.

I heard that burn-ins are mostly for dynamic armature headphone and not for these. But anyways I will keep that mind.

Dec 4, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #1,653 of 3,037

I heard that burn-ins are mostly for dynamic armature headphone and not for these. But anyways I will keep that mind.

It's probably all in my head.  I have learned that giving IEMs a good amount of listening time before forming an opinion is best. Enjoy your new sound machine.  :)

Dec 5, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #1,656 of 3,037
I wanted ES60 but prices in europe for this ciem is crazy. It is shame because I read there was nice discount for 1K on Canjam this year, I would buy them imediately if I lived in USA. So I ordered UM50 which seems to be the best price performance from their model line with thier latest technologies.

Dec 5, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #1,657 of 3,037
I thought warm and lush is not the same as muddy and dull. :)

It is not muddy and it has 2 treble drivers (hard to believe...lol).

But I am telling you.....you MUST be willing to tick up the treble a few dB which makes it amazing.  I couldn't listen to Pro50 if I couldn't do that.  Just too warm and lush without that adjustment.  Also....use the supplied silicone star tips.  Using foam complys will only further aggravate the soft warm thing.

I have done many listening tests with Pro50 and it is strange.....it has all the detail retrieval in the world but just does it in a warmer way.  Cymbals are a warm shimmer versus a crisp shine.  But if you listen really loud, Pro50 is SO good on your ears.   8-10-12 hours non stop...no problem.

Dec 5, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #1,658 of 3,037

But I am telling you.....you MUST be willing to tick up the treble a few dB which makes it amazing.  I couldn't listen to Pro50 if I couldn't do that.  Just too warm and lush without that adjustment.  Also....use the supplied silicone star tips.  Using foam complys will only further aggravate the soft warm thing.

I have done many listening tests with Pro50 and it is strange.....it has all the detail retrieval in the world but just does it in a warmer way.  Cymbals are a warm shimmer versus a crisp shine.  But if you listen really loud, Pro50 is SO good on your ears.   8-10-12 hours non stop...no problem.

Thanks Spyro. Ok I will up the treble by 2-3 dB and then try. Haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.

Dec 6, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #1,659 of 3,037
Congrats gcsgc with your new UM-pro50. The UM-pro 50 is in no way treble shy. I went through a similar discovery as most of us here ... Give it some time to burn in and let your ears get accustomed to the new sound. The UM-pro has a very special type of treble unlike most other IEM the treble is very lush and make the overall result sound warm and laid back but never did I experience its treble being rolled off or sounding dull.
There are however a few factors that can impact and influence the sound as a result of using the "wrong" type of sleeves for your ears. I suggest you experiment with the different types of sleeves included. Each one's ears are different and hence a certain type of sleeve works better than the other ... The star tips / sleeves work for most and tend to be the most comfortable. Make sure you get them inserted close (deep) enough as the closer they are to the ear drum the more detailed the sound. The most important part is to get a good seal. No proper seal result in not enough bass and too much of a seal and sound will become congested and too booming. The foam sleeves get a very good seal but tend to reduce the amount of detail. Longer sleeves give me more detail, shorter sleeves the opposite. You can always get custom sleeves if you have trouble in finding the right sleeves for you ... You won't be the only one where a same type pair of sleeves works the one ear but doesn't for the other ...

Lastly, there is also the magic of "tuning " your sound with aftermarket cables. I have great experience with silver+gold cables that extend both the bass and treble and reduced the bump in the mid bass known to the UM-pro50. Avoid silver plated copper cables as these can introduce harshness in the high mids and treble.

The whole magic and advantages of the UM-pro 50 is that you can listen to them (even at louder volumes) without getting listening fatigue. I have flown 12+ hours flights with the star tip sleeves and never felt discomfort! Loving the sound and will for a long time to come...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 6, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #1,660 of 3,037
Gcsgc when I had UM3X in past I was not happy with sound with Westone tips or Comply, I was happy only with Shure olive foam so try it too. I am expecting I will use UM50 with shure olive foam too.. 

Dec 6, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #1,661 of 3,037

Holy F**ing crap. I just had a chance to use the UM PRO 50. I am blown away with the clarity. And, since I like a little (very little) extra bass, this fits my bill so well. I have tried SE846, W30 and W50 and long back UE Triple Fi 10 and Super Fi 5. This UM PRO 50 blows everything out of the water for me. 

I know that everyone's taste in sound is different and there is some subjectivity. But, for my needs, where I like clarity with a little bass, this is heaven sent.

Thanks Spyro and everyone else. This is after hearing just 2 songs with the eartip that came attached with it from factory. I didn't even try any other eartips yet. This thing rocks for me right out of the box. Let me hear more and see how much more I like. 

Dec 6, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #1,662 of 3,037
Congrats gcsgc with your new UM-pro50. The UM-pro 50 is in no way treble shy. I went through a similar discovery as most of us here ... Give it some time to burn in and let your ears get accustomed to the new sound. The UM-pro has a very special type of treble unlike most other IEM the treble is very lush and make the overall result sound warm and laid back but never did I experience its treble being rolled off or sounding dull.
There are however a few factors that can impact and influence the sound as a result of using the "wrong" type of sleeves for your ears. I suggest you experiment with the different types of sleeves included. Each one's ears are different and hence a certain type of sleeve works better than the other ... The star tips / sleeves work for most and tend to be the most comfortable. Make sure you get them inserted close (deep) enough as the closer they are to the ear drum the more detailed the sound. The most important part is to get a good seal. No proper seal result in not enough bass and too much of a seal and sound will become congested and too booming. The foam sleeves get a very good seal but tend to reduce the amount of detail. Longer sleeves give me more detail, shorter sleeves the opposite. You can always get custom sleeves if you have trouble in finding the right sleeves for you ... You won't be the only one where a same type pair of sleeves works the one ear but doesn't for the other ...

Lastly, there is also the magic of "tuning " your sound with aftermarket cables. I have great experience with silver+gold cables that extend both the bass and treble and reduced the bump in the mid bass known to the UM-pro50. Avoid silver plated copper cables as these can introduce harshness in the high mids and treble.

The whole magic and advantages of the UM-pro 50 is that you can listen to them (even at louder volumes) without getting listening fatigue. I have flown 12+ hours flights with the star tip sleeves and never felt discomfort! Loving the sound and will for a long time to come...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks smaragd. I just heard a couple songs and this is the right IEM for me :)

Dec 6, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #1,663 of 3,037
Oh man, just got off hearing MJ's Thriller song. I have never heard all the nuances of this song this clear ever without missing a beat (literally). UM PRO 50 Rocks!!!!!!!!!!!

Everything sounds so well. So far i have heard Guns N Roses - November Rain , America - Sister Golden hair, U2 - One, Oasis - Wonderwall, Metallica - Enter the Sandman, Queen - Another One Bites the dust, Nirvana - Come as you are. These are like my reference songs I hear when i buy a new headphone or a speaker/receiver.

I am hearing all these songs just from my iPhone 6 with stock tips. Beautiful rendition of all instruments with that wonderful bass!!! :):cool:

Dec 6, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #1,664 of 3,037
Oh man, just got off hearing MJ's Thriller song. I have never heard all the nuances of this song this clear ever without missing a beat (literally). UM PRO 50 Rocks!!!!!!!!!!!

Everything sounds so well. So far i have heard Guns N Roses - November Rain , U2 - One, Oasis - Wonderwall, Metallica - Enter the Sandman, Queen - Another One Bites the dust, Nirvana - Come as you are. These are like my reference songs I hear when i buy a new headphone or a speaker/receiver.

I am hearing all these songs just from my iPhone 6 with stock tips. Beautiful rendition of all instruments with that wonderful bass!!!
smily_headphones1.gif
cool.gif

Wait till you switch to bigger size tips with tighter seal - the bass will hit you hard!!!  Not a basshead muddy bass, but a well controlled slam with an authority!  Welcome to UM Pro 50 club
beerchug.gif

Dec 6, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #1,665 of 3,037

Wait till you switch to bigger size tips with tighter seal - the bass will hit you hard!!!  Not a basshead muddy bass, but a well controlled slam with an authority!  Welcome to UM Pro 50 club
beerchug.gif

Thanks. Will try a couple other tips and see whats the difference. Its so comfortable to wear just like any other Westone. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back