Westone UM PRO Series Thread
Dec 6, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #1,667 of 3,037
  Which tips to recommend for Umpro30 ? Comply foam tips? Thanks

The intent of a tip is to create a seal between the nozzle of IEM and your ear canal.  Everybody has a different anatomy of their ear canal (wider, narrower, deeper, shallower, etc.) thus you gotta try different sizes.  Luckily, Westone provides plenty.  Plus, silicone vs foam will absorb sound differently and will give you different level of isolation.  For example, with a tighter foam seal you can get a deeper bass and more attenuated upper frequencies.  Bottom line - go through tip rolling, meaning try different eartips to find the one which gives you the best sound.

Dec 10, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #1,668 of 3,037

Wait till you switch to bigger size tips with tighter seal - the bass will hit you hard!!!  Not a basshead muddy bass, but a well controlled slam with an authority!  Welcome to UM Pro 50 club
beerchug.gif

I now understand what is a studio/stage monitor IEM. UM PRO 50's clarity is wayyyy better than the W30/50, Shure 846 that I owned. I cannot believe how clear I hear ALL the instruments with such separation. Wow!!!

Dec 11, 2015 at 3:01 AM Post #1,669 of 3,037
I have them since tuesday and I am disapoint thinking that I will send them back, it so dark, very bassy, less energy, not clear as I would like.. via 5s and Clip. I do not know what is problem If seal or what, I tried them only with shure olive foam. I loved UM3X almost imediately a few years back and it sounded like I was there and accurate, clear etc. also do not feel this with um50. Sorry for negatives maybe it too soon for conclusions but maybe sombody can help.

Dec 11, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #1,670 of 3,037
I have them since tuesday and I am disapoint thinking that I will send them back, it so dark, very bassy, less energy, not clear as I would like.. via 5s and Clip. I do not know what is problem If seal or what, I tried them only with shure olive foam. I loved UM3X almost imediately a few years back and it sounded like I was there and accurate, clear etc. also do not feel this with um50. Sorry for negatives maybe it too soon for conclusions but maybe sombody can help.

You should try the silicone tips. I found that Westone stock form tip also sounded dark.

Sent from my HUAWEI RIO-L01 using Tapatalk

Dec 12, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #1,672 of 3,037
Dec 19, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #1,673 of 3,037
Another info about UM PRO 50 after 10 days. Definitely prefer them with Sansa Clip, iPhone 5s is darker. I still think it is warmer on Clip as well and not accurate as I would like. It is strange because I think Westone know what they are doing so I do not believe it is bad maybe I have really seal problem (I am sure someone can find right seal even after a few weeks), truth is one day I really enjoyed them and felt it is great. But with UM3X in past I felt it was great every day I was connect with music and really felt instruments vocal.
So I will unfortunately return them:frowning2:..

Dec 21, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #1,674 of 3,037
  Another info about UM PRO 50 after 10 days. Definitely prefer them with Sansa Clip, iPhone 5s is darker. I still think it is warmer on Clip as well and not accurate as I would like. It is strange because I think Westone know what they are doing so I do not believe it is bad maybe I have really seal problem (I am sure someone can find right seal even after a few weeks), truth is one day I really enjoyed them and felt it is great. But with UM3X in past I felt it was great every day I was connect with music and really felt instruments vocal.
So I will unfortunately return them:frowning2:..

I am using my UM PRO 50 almost everyday. Great listening experience. Billie Jean on my ears now as I write :)

Dec 22, 2015 at 3:13 AM Post #1,675 of 3,037
I returned them but I enjoyed them this weekend. I think if I could have them at lest one week or two weeks more it could be keeper but I did not want risk lose money to sell them from second hand if I would not happy on 100 percent. So at the end I will definitely buy ES60 in future and will not look back, we live once. 

Dec 27, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #1,677 of 3,037
you should listen to um3x!:)

UM Pro 30 is UM3X's replacement model? And if so, UM Pro 50 is a still a superior model compared to UM Pro 30, except for the slightly extra bass? :) either way, I am very satisfied with my UM Pro 50 and will not be inclined to listen to any other IEM for a long time to come. :))

Dec 28, 2015 at 5:57 AM Post #1,678 of 3,037
UM Pro 30 is UM3X's replacement model? And if so, UM Pro 50 is a still a superior model compared to UM Pro 30, except for the slightly extra bass? :) either way, I am very satisfied with my UM Pro 50 and will not be inclined to listen to any other IEM for a long time to come. :))

Yes, I will hear your um pro 50, maybe I'll buy them.
I wonder what is the difference?

Dec 29, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #1,680 of 3,037

I see you've decided to swap your UM Pro 50 for Shure SE846, and that you prefer the Shure SE846 bass ... I'm a little surprised.

I guess the Shure SE846 must be quite source dependent, as I thought the bass was inferior to the UM Pro 50. It does have a lot of sub-bass (rather too much IMHO) but I found the mid bass really lacking.

While I appreciated individual elements of the sound, the overall Shure SE846 sound just wasn't for me.

The only thing I preferred about the SE846 was the far sturdier build quality.

I enjoyed for two months the Pro 50s and today i hit the two months mark with the SE846.

Oddly enough yesterday i got a trade offer...for a pair of Pro 50s. I think i'm turning it down.

I loved the sound of the Pro 50s and love the sound of the SE846s (both driven with an iPhone 6 and an iPad 3).

I lean towards the SE846 for two reasons:

- I only could enjoy fully the Pro 50s at high volumes. At low levels the signature was too dark. Equal loudness contour curves must explain this. i guess being monitors Pro 50s are engineered for high volume listening. With the SE846s i can enjoy in full the music at all volumes. Note: EQ is forbidden in my book (as i don't like to degrade the integrity of low level sounds which is what DSPs do as a side effect, Math is math).

- Build quality: the difference is sooooooooooo big in this department that i find hard to go back to the Pro 50s. They feel way weaker to me. And skimming through both headphones threads i'd say that statistically the Pro 50s are far more prone to give up.

Somehow i miss the peculiar and unique Pro 50s signature though. But there are too much reports about the female mmxx connectors (had an issue myself with these on my defunct W30s...) hence i can't go back to them as reliability is a must for me.

As for the midbass you wrote about i'm afraid that due to masking you can't get it all: less midbass->better mids & dynamics more midbass->more punch. I feel that the overall bass presentation of the SE846 is the best i have heard from any iem. It has the best traits of both dynamic drivers and armature drivers which is kind of amazing from an engineering point of view.

Hope that next time around Westone rolls out designs as sturdy as the SE846s even is price tag is a bit steeper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back