Westone ES5
Aug 30, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #5,432 of 5,554
Quote:

Maybe take a short break from them and come back, but overall keep using them and pay attention to how the fit changes over time. When I first got mine, they felt fine, but after a few weeks I noticed the right monitor didn't have a perfect seal which caused some weird sounding vibrations. After trying different things I wasn't 100% satisfied and, for the money, figured I should be. So I had that one redone and had to ship them off to Westone.

I'm in Toronto as well and unfortunately the turn around time isn't great. It took exactly one month to get them back from the time I got the remold, but they're perfect now and I'm glad I got it right.

Bit of a late reply, but I wanted to give myself a good deal of time to use the ES5s before reporting back on them. The fit has definitely got better over the last few weeks since I first got them. Both sides now fit well and I feel the balance is better than it was before. I'm pretty relieved, to be honest, that it looks like I won't have to send them back!

I've got to say, I absolutely love these 'phones. I guess I had got used to them and didn't realise how good they are, but I just borrowed my girlfriend's Shure SRH440s (first time I've used anything other than the ES5s since I got them) and the difference in clarity is astounding. Paired with my FiiO E12 and iPhone 4S, they're just great.

Sep 8, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #5,433 of 5,554
Since I am a long time owner of the ES5 (#267 here), I think I should make my first post in Head Fi here and say hello to everyone.
beerchug.gif

Sep 17, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #5,436 of 5,554
  I mean the guy might be partially right, but the way he was trying to assert (and call me stupid at the same time
etysmile.gif
) that adding a portable amp (no matter what kind!?) in the mix is just plain bad for IEM's was kinda outrageous. To think that he was a mod for that forum just made me go (insert good facepalm img)

Well here's the whole quote from him for anyone who's curious.

POST1:
You had: Device -> Headphones
You now have: Device -> Amp -> Headphones

Was the amp really necessary? You're gaining no audio quality from it. Amping IEMs might even damage them or your ears. They're designed to run with very little electricity, as you'd expect for something that is inserted into the ear canal.

POST2:
QUOTE (zeitfliesst @ Jun 20 2012, 16:48)
I've seen plenty of people on head-fi using IEM's with portable amps, and I don't want to argue about whether there's a benefit in doing that or not.

So go back to Head-fi and ask this. We're going to call you out on the problems you're facing. Just because there are idiots doesn't magically make idiots right.

There is no point to this additional amplification. The amp provides nothing more than additional distortion and non-linearity. It's not like it can wave a magic wand and magically restore fidelity from your original source. It does nothing whatsoever except decrease overall fidelity and increase gain. Expecting people to pass over obvious, glaring, objective faults in your setup, especially when over-amplification is your whole problem is asinine.

Instead of using iPod line out, why not just use your iPod headphone out? It's pretty high-powered, has its own gain control, and is not an intermediate step causing further loss of fidelity.

What's more, as the whole damn thing is a portable audio setup, this restores actual portability, instead of carrying some half-baked headphone amp around that does nothing but give you problems. Don't be a stupid hipster.

"...iPod headphone out... It's pretty high-powered, has its own gain control, and is not an intermediate step causing further loss of fidelity."

That man is a total ignoramus. Internal amplification in an iPod is an intermediate step between the source of an audio signal and and a driver/diaphragm and is of inferior sound quality compared to the amplification by a good portable amplifier.

Oct 1, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #5,437 of 5,554
The ES5's remain one of the most enjoyable products I've used to date. They pull you into the music in a way that doesn't require lengthy discourse on aspects like FR response, staging & accuracy and all the other audio minutiae that we are so fond of discussing. This happens less often than one would hope and often makes the ES5 a welcome relief compared to other gear.

Oct 16, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #5,438 of 5,554
I have tried and liked the fitear 335dw. But the es5 and reviews have really made me interested. Especially almost half the price and great reviews.

Anyone know if the 2 can be compared to each other or totally different products.

Oct 16, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #5,439 of 5,554
I own both the ES5 and 335DW. I would say that the 335DW did make me hear more details to the same song. And it's sound stage made it great when watching live concerts BD. However, as a common sense in this head-fi hobby, double the price does not means double the improvement...

Oct 17, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #5,441 of 5,554
highly considering getting a pair, but does anyone has a template for custom artwork? I am rather new to photoshop and all but chances are I'd like to have some anime related / vocaloid faceplate but I have no idea how to start.

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #5,443 of 5,554
thx, seems they sent me a template.

Oct 18, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #5,444 of 5,554
what colour would fit this?

smoke black / gunmetal black / blueish?

Can't really find a matching colour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back