Westone ES5
Sep 17, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #5,176 of 5,554
In terms of sound stage, probably not. If you are really trying to find gaming headphones, try looking into the very long gaming headphone thread by MadLustEnvy, and if you have the means, I suggest you try out the Smyth Realiser.

Sep 17, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #5,177 of 5,554
Quote:
Guys i know that this most likely is kinda off topic but i cld not find a thread for this but anyway here it goes, How do Custom IEMs fair for gaming? Not just the ES5s, it can be any custom. And are they better than gaming headsets? Thanks Guys
ksc75smile.gif

That's like asking whether a waterbed is better for sexual pleasure than a memory foam sleep number airbed?  They're good for different things, and you can't always say which is better.

If your games use a lot of binaural recordings you may get a better experience with the IEM, because with headphones and binaural I seem to get the image behind my head more than with IEM.  Others may find it's the other way around.

Sep 17, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #5,178 of 5,554
How bad is the mid-bass bump on the ES5?  Is it as bad as say...an HE-500?  

Is it a tight little peak in the bass that makes certain notes sound more prominent that they ought to be, or is it a smooth affair that muddies everything up near it?  Is it easy to make out bass definition and different bass notes, or does it result in some one note bass going on?

Sep 18, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #5,181 of 5,554
Quote:

Well, I actually find the JH13Pro and ES5 to have distinct sound signatures from each other - the ES5 has a little punchier mid-bass although deep extension, and the JH13Pro has a little stronger deep bass, like there is a subwoofer placed somewhere in the room that's slightly disconnected from the mid-bass.  And the ES5 mids are a little more present and vibrant than those of the JH13Pro, giving the ES5 a slightly more forward presentation although the size of the venue still feels big like with the JH13Pro (air, ambience, echoes).  The ES5 still feel hyper-detailed like ES3X, like the contrast or saturation turned up a little on a video monitor, while the JH13Pro are slightly smoother and ever-so-slightly laid back in comparison.  There is no doubt that with my eyes closed I'd know which one I'm listening to.

The JH13Pro are probably a little "more neutral or less colored" than the ES5, but still fun and exciting to listen to.  I've heard the UE18 demo, the UM Miracle demo, and the JH16 demo (universal fit with foam tips that they bring to CanJam at RMAF) and liked those two more than my UE11Pro, but in no way can I compare them due to meet conditions and them being universal fit demos. They all would have made a great sounding universal fit IEM for production.  I have not heard the UERM demo or Merlin demo but will do so at RMAF this year if they are there.

I thought that my next custom might be the JH3A/JH16, but I was putting it off until it seems like a finished product to me and then forgot about it as I pursued the Stax SR-009.

Quote:
Do you find the lower bass bump annoying at all?  I would have traded the lower bass bump for a bit more lower mid bass but then it is gonna sound too close to JH16.

Even still, JH13 is the most insanely transparent, quick and detailed IEM I have ever stuck in my ears.  Almost too much if that is possible.  Like they are adding detail to the music that wasn't originally there.  LOL...

Quote:

I think my JH13Pro have a similar amount of treble quantity and extension as my ES5, which is improved over my ES3X.  The ES5 mids are a little more elevated than the JH13pro, and the bass extension is about the same.  Where they differ in the bass is the ES5 have more mid-upper bass, and the JH13Pro have a little more lower and deep bass

Quote:
What is this mid-bass bump to which you refer? I have never perceived this.

Perhaps I misread.  Or come to think of it, perhaps I read too much into one member's posts.  Or maybe because people either have good fit, or bad fit, such deviations from the norm of opinions don't matter much.

Or perhaps it's more like roadkill flat midbass rather than snake tail emphasis.

##      ##
@----II---II---<<
     ##      ##

Sep 18, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #5,182 of 5,554
Flat frequency response does not exist. Only dead people flatline.

I will just say that there is no excess mid-bass on the ES5. Nothing too prominent, nothing muddy. How bad is it? It isn't. All IMHO which is all that matters to me.

Sep 18, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #5,183 of 5,554
Quote:
Flat frequency response does not exist. 

Not sure what you're referring to here (HRTF?), but okay.

I will just say that there is no excess mid-bass on the ES5. Nothing too prominent, nothing muddy. How bad is it? It isn't. All IMHO which is all that matters to me.

That's good to know.  I guess when fit is right, the ES5 is pretty smooth.  

Sep 18, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #5,186 of 5,554
Quote:

Perhaps I misread.  Or come to think of it, perhaps I read too much into one member's posts.  Or maybe because people either have good fit, or bad fit, such deviations from the norm of opinions don't matter much.

Or perhaps it's more like roadkill flat midbass rather than snake tail emphasis.

##      ##
@----II---II---<<
     ##      ##

Yeah, you just read too much into the posts above is all.  The JH13Pro do have a noticeable low-bass bump, as I stated in my posts, but when I say, "Where they differ in the bass is the ES5 have more mid-upper bass, and the JH13Pro have a little more lower and deep bass" that's relative speaking in comparison to each other.  

Sep 18, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #5,188 of 5,554
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict 

That's like asking whether a waterbed is better for sexual pleasure than a memory foam sleep number airbed?  

I am enjoying the non sequitor extra curricular sentences on this thread.

Lol.

You should add my quote to your signature line.

Sep 18, 2012 at 7:03 AM Post #5,189 of 5,554
Quote:

Yeah, you just read too much into the posts above is all.  The JH13Pro do have a noticeable low-bass bump, as I stated in my posts, but when I say, "Where they differ in the bass is the ES5 have more mid-upper bass, and the JH13Pro have a little more lower and deep bass" that's relative speaking in comparison to each other.  

Thanks L.

Sep 18, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #5,190 of 5,554
hi, anyone tried pico slim with es5 and sansa fuze? mind sharing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back