Westone ES5
Sep 13, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #5,147 of 5,554
I am really interested in upgrading to this 'coz i really love the w4's signature.

are the vocals more forward here than the w4?
is the instrument separation better or the same?
what about the bass quantity, did they add a bit more?

I read  that the es5 is more focused than the w4 so does that mean everything is a bot nearer in comparison to the w4?

lastly, I am from Philippines, do you think earplugs or any other site selling the es5 will let the the iem ship to a cargo company that I rely when I buy products online at the US and have it shipped through them (this is really critical because custom charges here are WAY TOO OVERPRICED) and by shipping it to the cargo company, I won't have to pay the taxes anymore just the shipping

thank you!!!

Sep 13, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #5,149 of 5,554
Do you find the lower bass bump annoying at all?  I would have traded the lower bass bump for a bit more lower mid bass but then it is gonna sound too close to JH16.

Even still, JH13 is the most insanely transparent, quick and detailed IEM I have ever stuck in my ears.  Almost too much if that is possible.  Like they are adding detail to the music that wasn't originally there.  LOL...

Sep 13, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #5,150 of 5,554
Do you find the lower bass bump annoying at all?  I would have traded the lower bass bump for a bit more lower mid bass but then it is gonna sound too close to JH16.

Even still, JH13 is the most insanely transparent, quick and detailed IEM I have ever stuck in my ears.  Almost too much if that is possible.  Like they are adding detail to the music that wasn't originally there.  LOL...
Jh13 that good? Can't wait to get mine

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #5,152 of 5,554
JH13 is balanced, detailed, transparent. Extension on both ends are better than ES5. Especially the highs, es5's high are emphasized but not extended to my ears, it's like a tale of a poisonous snake, that is like the least favorite thing about my es5. Hopefully they will improve after this reshell.

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #5,153 of 5,554
Highs are emphasized like a snake's tail?  I'd say that's the last part of the FR that is emphasized on an ES5, lol.

Sep 14, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #5,155 of 5,554
Quote:
Highs are emphasized like a snake's tail?  I'd say that's the last part of the FR that is emphasized on an ES5, lol.

A poisonous snake, which means =====----    < like that.
If you think the ES5's high is not emphasized, you must have been too used to these, all my friends who got the es5 feel that the highs stands out the most, good or bad.

Sep 14, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #5,156 of 5,554
Quote:
JH13 is balanced, detailed, transparent. Extension on both ends are better than ES5. Especially the highs, es5's high are emphasized but not extended to my ears, it's like a tale of a poisonous snake, that is like the least favorite thing about my es5. Hopefully they will improve after this reshell.

Awaiting your in-depth comparisons between the two? I almost went for the ES5 if not for the black friday discount on the JH models, and I get to audition the latter in my country.

Sep 14, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #5,157 of 5,554
Quote:
A poisonous snake, which means =====----    < like that.
If you think the ES5's high is not emphasized, you must have been too used to these, all my friends who got the es5 feel that the highs stands out the most, good or bad.

Did you guys all go to the same audiologist for impressions?  Your impression is definitely in the minority here confirmed by the few measurements we've seen.  No way is a JH13 less treble emphasized than an ES5.  I've even talked to the design engineer who made the ES5 specifically in regards to the JH13 signature.  The JH13 is even brighter than the UERM and the UERM is brighter than the ES5.  Your fit is bad or the phones are broken or Westone changed the signature without telling anyone.  Let me ask around to confirm something just in case.

You should see my sig and profile to see what phones I have or used in the past.  Though I stopped updating it about a year ago.  

Sep 14, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #5,158 of 5,554
Quote:

Did you guys all go to the same audiologist for impressions?  Your impression is definitely in the minority here confirmed by the few measurements we've seen.  No way is a JH13 less treble emphasized than an ES5.  I've even talked to the design engineer who made the ES5 specifically in regards to the JH13 signature.  The JH13 is even brighter than the UERM and the UERM is brighter than the ES5.  Your fit is bad or the phones are broken or Westone changed the signature without telling anyone.  Let me ask around to confirm something just in case.

You should see my sig and profile to see what phones I have or used in the past.  Though I stopped updating it about a year ago.  

JH 13 can be bright in some cases and you are right they might have more high-highs, and this is the truth. But, ES5 is just more emphasized on the upper mid to high frequency range, which made it what it is, energetic and bright.

Sep 14, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #5,160 of 5,554
Jeez, they should be rich, vivid and luscious in the mids w/o treble fatigue.  I sent an email off and will see if anything has changed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back