Westone ES5
Aug 28, 2012 at 6:41 AM Post #5,101 of 5,554
You forget two things:

1. It's still $1000
2. It's only the beginning...

and there is no going back to lower-fi once you're in hi-fi.
Quote:

At least he only took one step to CIEM and skipped most other high end UIEM, it's not so sorry to his wallet 
wink.gif

Aug 28, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #5,103 of 5,554
Thanks guys.
In addition to regular music listening etc, I will be using ES5s on stage with a wireless IEM system.  I haven't bought the system yet.  A couple of questions for musicians who use C-IEMs for monitoring on stage.
1. What wireless IEM sytem do you recommend ?   I have been thinking of Carvin EM900 or Sennheiser G3.  Carvin is less than half the price and I am not sure if Sennheiser is worth the extra $600.
2. Other than the sound quality, my main concern is the spikes/pops in volume.  If you keep the monitoring volume low, and if there is a spike in the volume due to someone unplugging the mic or due to feedback of whatever, how bad is it for IEM users ?  Is the inbuilt compressor of the Carvin/Sennheiser units good enough to avoid painful spikes or do you need an extra hardware limiter ?  I will be keeping the volume on IEMs pretty low.

Thanks in advance !

Aug 29, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #5,104 of 5,554
HEY GUYS!

Newbie looking for help with a recommendation (sorry if this is in the wrong place?)!

I've spent some time reading on here trying to get up to speed, as I'm about to purchase my first CIEMs.  That said, I'm the kind of guy who doesn't like to buy products that I'll have to replace, so I usually want to go for something that's kind of a sure bet from the start.  

As a result of my reading, it seems like the ES5 is the closest thing to a sure bet.  But I wondered if anyone might validate that choice against the others I'll pose, just so I feel better about dropping some coin on these guys!?!?

I will be primarily listening to music (folk, rock, 70s African) on them, as well as monitoring some live recording (guitars, and vocals mostly).

Aside from the ES5, I've been looking mostly at the JH 10 or JH13, as well as 1964 V3.  It seems everyone is kind of flipping out over the Heirs as well but I'd like to buy from the USA if possible.

Is my choice a sound one?  Or should I be looking at anything else?

Please let me know and I'll be much in your debt.

Aug 29, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #5,105 of 5,554
Quote:
Thanks guys.
In addition to regular music listening etc, I will be using ES5s on stage with a wireless IEM system.  I haven't bought the system yet.  A couple of questions for musicians who use C-IEMs for monitoring on stage.
1. What wireless IEM sytem do you recommend ?   I have been thinking of Carvin EM900 or Sennheiser G3.  Carvin is less than half the price and I am not sure if Sennheiser is worth the extra $600.
2. Other than the sound quality, my main concern is the spikes/pops in volume.  If you keep the monitoring volume low, and if there is a spike in the volume due to someone unplugging the mic or due to feedback of whatever, how bad is it for IEM users ?  Is the inbuilt compressor of the Carvin/Sennheiser units good enough to avoid painful spikes or do you need an extra hardware limiter ?  I will be keeping the volume on IEMs pretty low.

Thanks in advance !

As a part time director of UM and a part time monitor engineer, the G3 is a great system.  Plenty of headroom, robust and cheap.  If you are touring a lot, it's a good piece of kit.  If you aren't really using it seriously then it may not be worth the investment.

Make sure you turn the limiter on on the units and run as high a signal into the G3 transmitter as you can without it clipping.  Any major spikes will be compressed or limited as the transmitter clips (the G3 does have high headroom though) and the limiter will do the rest.  Other than this, TRAINING is key.  Work with your band, your sound engineer and your roadies to ensure everyone is extra careful when mute/unmuting, adjusting gain structure and playing with levels.  Finally, find a monitor engineer that you can trust.

Matt

Aug 30, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #5,106 of 5,554
Thanks a lot for the advice Matt !
I just ordered the Sennheiser G3 from music123. They got some used units (new but returned or scratched) for $849 with full warranty and 45 day return. They may have a few more left if anyone else is interested.
Getting the ES5s at 3 pm tomorrow and G3 next week..
fingers crossed.. !

Aug 30, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #5,107 of 5,554
Quote:
Thanks a lot for the advice Matt !
I just ordered the Sennheiser G3 from music123. They got some used units (new but returned or scratched) for $849 with full warranty and 45 day return. They may have a few more left if anyone else is interested.
Getting the ES5s at 3 pm tomorrow and G3 next week..
fingers crossed.. !

Congratz !
ES5 do seal very very good and I'm sure it suits a stage performer.

Aug 31, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #5,108 of 5,554
Seems to be more focussed after some burn in. Or just my ears getting used to it. Localization seems to be better also, but all this is possibly because the fit seems to be improving. I'm starting to find the sweet spot in twisting the earphones in so I dont overtwist such that it is so tight it distorts the ear canal.

Still the right side occasionally pops like there's some air pocket popping, meaning it is not a perfect seal like the left. So the experience is perfect when I'm staying motionless like in a car. But when I eat/yawn/twist my head/walk fast the fit changes in the right.

I know you guys advised just sending them back. I'm still deliberating. I can live with the aesthetics (I never look at them when it matters I.e when I'm listening to music), but not sure how much improvement i'll get sealwise, if I get them changed.

Do your seals remain perfect when you yawn/eat? Also, my impressions should still be with Westone. How long would those last to make new pieces?

Sep 1, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #5,109 of 5,554
You should get new impressions since it probably was the impressions' fault in the first place for the bad right seal.

You should also send them back and tell them explicitly to remake it and make it as if it is worth $1000, and you're completely dissatisfied with the outcome of your product.

It depends on each person's canals, but most of the time, you'd need a musician's fit to have a seal while yawning. Some very experienced audiologists tell you to talk casually while the impressions cure so you'll have a good comfortable seal when you eat/talk, but I'm not too sure about that. I just had my jaws locked wide for mine. 

You should be completely satisfied with your final product because you deserve it. It's not some over the shelf cheap beats in ears, it's a bloody $1000 Westone ES5s.
Quote:
Seems to be more focussed after some burn in. Or just my ears getting used to it. Localization seems to be better also, but all this is possibly because the fit seems to be improving. I'm starting to find the sweet spot in twisting the earphones in so I dont overtwist such that it is so tight it distorts the ear canal.
Still the right side occasionally pops like there's some air pocket popping, meaning it is not a perfect seal like the left. So the experience is perfect when I'm staying motionless like in a car. But when I eat/yawn/twist my head/walk fast the fit changes in the right.
I know you guys advised just sending them back. I'm still deliberating. I can live with the aesthetics (I never look at them when it matters I.e when I'm listening to music), but not sure how much improvement i'll get sealwise, if I get them changed.
Do your seals remain perfect when you yawn/eat? Also, my impressions should still be with Westone. How long would those last to make new pieces?

Sep 1, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #5,110 of 5,554
Do you think they'd allow me to keep my current pair though? I'll put up pics of mine soon. They dont go that deep imo.

Sep 1, 2012 at 3:37 AM Post #5,111 of 5,554
I saw some pics only where there were some guys with much deeper ones, like curved inward with much smaller bores.

Do y'all think they'll let me keep my current pair while they remake?

Sep 1, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #5,112 of 5,554
I don't understand what you mean by keeping your current pair. If you mean you keep your ES5s while they work on new ones for you, you're crazy. :)
Quote:
I saw some pics only where there were some guys with much deeper ones, like curved inward with much smaller bores.
Do y'all think they'll let me keep my current pair while they remake?

Sep 1, 2012 at 4:00 AM Post #5,113 of 5,554
I got the deeper fit on request and eat, yawn or laugh w/o problem keeping seal.  Proper seal is proper seal unless there is some anatomical condition I'm unaware of preventing some from having the same fit I do.

Sep 1, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #5,114 of 5,554
the longer tip is actually very annoying. I know I was gonna reshell so I even cut a piece of my left ear tip myself cuz it goes too deep and it made my left ear painful.

Sep 1, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #5,115 of 5,554
What's that?  I'm sorry I couldn't hear you while wearing my long tips for 8 hours while chewing a sandwich.  
tongue.gif

I think you might have an audiologist problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back