Westone ES5
Aug 27, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #5,086 of 5,554
My left side is EVER SO SLIGHTLY tighter than my right side but both stay sealed even when I smile or laugh and do not feel uncomfortably tight. I got lucky. But my advice is that if they are only slightly different and are comfortable and keep sealed, do not send them back. Westone might do more harm than good when they try to "fix" it. 
confused_face.gif

Aug 27, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #5,088 of 5,554
Trust him on this. I sent mine back, and had two different engineers make one side each. When I got them back, I found it was obvious that one was much more experienced than the other.... and this was right as my 3rd month was up. Good thing I opted for musicians' fit so both sides will always be sealed. (One side is slightly less tight)
Quote:
My left side is EVER SO SLIGHTLY tighter than my right side but both stay sealed even when I smile or laugh and do not feel uncomfortably tight. I got lucky. But my advice is that if they are only slightly different and are comfortable and keep sealed, do not send them back. Westone might do more harm than good when they try to "fix" it. 
confused_face.gif

Aug 27, 2012 at 7:15 AM Post #5,089 of 5,554
Whats musician's fit? I thought I read that someone mentioned that there was no need to specify that the phones be specifically deep canals?

Also, I'm a little less pleased with the faceplate. It looks glued on. The part where the side connects to the rest of the acrylic shows grey edges

Aug 27, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #5,090 of 5,554
Quote:
Also, I'm a little less pleased with the faceplate. It looks glued on. The part where the side connects to the rest of the acrylic shows grey edges

I believe that it is attached with an industrial adhesive. They do the wiring work through that opening before installing the face plate. How else would they attach it?

The transition is usually very smooth but you can see where the face plate ends and the body begins.

Aug 27, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #5,091 of 5,554
Quote:

I believe that it is attached with an industrial adhesive. They do the wiring work through that opening before installing the face plate. How else would they attach it?

The transition is usually very smooth but you can see where the face plate ends and the body begins.

they messed up my first piece because they had a white middle section between the faceplate and the bottom body. i believe the second attempt to attach the carbon fibre faceplate to a new middle section of the same color as the bottom body was more slipshod. i have to see another es5 to be sure this isn't just normal work. on the whole though, for 150usd on the faceplate, it's certainly not done masterfully. if it was at least a clean line, I could understand, but to be able to see a slightly uneven border just takes away from the look. i'm trying to think of ideas or mods to darken or make the border look more uniform. 

Aug 27, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #5,092 of 5,554
Quote:

they messed up my first piece because they had a white middle section between the faceplate and the bottom body. i believe the second attempt to attach the carbon fibre faceplate to a new middle section of the same color as the bottom body was more slipshod. i have to see another es5 to be sure this isn't just normal work. on the whole though, for 150usd on the faceplate, it's certainly not done masterfully. if it was at least a clean line, I could understand, but to be able to see a slightly uneven border just takes away from the look. i'm trying to think of ideas or mods to darken or make the border look more uniform. 

If it is an uneven border, I think that you may have a reasonable complaint. 

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #5,094 of 5,554
Quote:
Yes u should ask for it to be redone.

i don't know if getting them to redo it will result in improvement though? this, afterall, is already the result from sending it back to them once because they messed up the color. also, the unevenness is within 1mm, so it's really a matter of excellent build quality versus "mehhh okay" quality. i'll have to think on it.

Aug 27, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #5,096 of 5,554
If I were you, I'd bring it down hard on Megan and complain the hell out of them, mentioning this costs $1000 and you expect quality much better than this piece of sh**. Also, send a good picture of the problem, and I'm sure they can arrange something for you... Gotta mention you demand a whole new reshelling, not some half-ass attempt to fix.

Quote:
i don't know if getting them to redo it will result in improvement though? this, afterall, is already the result from sending it back to them once because they messed up the color. also, the unevenness is within 1mm, so it's really a matter of excellent build quality versus "mehhh okay" quality. i'll have to think on it.

Aug 27, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #5,097 of 5,554
Quote:

Would it be fair to say that if you already have the ES5, it is better to go for another custom, say UERM, rather than JH13 or 16, which is more similar than different from the ES5? Btw I also have the UE18 Pro.

Well, I actually find the JH13Pro and ES5 to have distinct sound signatures from each other - the ES5 has a little punchier mid-bass although deep extension, and the JH13Pro has a little stronger deep bass, like there is a subwoofer placed somewhere in the room that's slightly disconnected from the mid-bass.  And the ES5 mids are a little more present and vibrant than those of the JH13Pro, giving the ES5 a slightly more forward presentation although the size of the venue still feels big like with the JH13Pro (air, ambience, echoes).  The ES5 still feel hyper-detailed like ES3X, like the contrast or saturation turned up a little on a video monitor, while the JH13Pro are slightly smoother and ever-so-slightly laid back in comparison.  There is no doubt that with my eyes closed I'd know which one I'm listening to.

The JH13Pro are probably a little "more neutral or less colored" than the ES5, but still fun and exciting to listen to.  I've heard the UE18 demo, the UM Miracle demo, and the JH16 demo (universal fit with foam tips that they bring to CanJam at RMAF) and liked those two more than my UE11Pro, but in no way can I compare them due to meet conditions and them being universal fit demos. They all would have made a great sounding universal fit IEM for production.  I have not heard the UERM demo or Merlin demo but will do so at RMAF this year if they are there.

I thought that my next custom might be the JH3A/JH16, but I was putting it off until it seems like a finished product to me and then forgot about it as I pursued the Stax SR-009.

Aug 28, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #5,098 of 5,554
hi all.. im a newbie here.. Just wanted to stop by and say hi because I just ordered the ES5.
The only experience ive had with earphones/headphones so far is with Grade SR60 and Iphone earphones :)..
I did a ton of research all of last week. Thanks to hifi.org.. I was thinking of UM3x but finally took a plunge and ordered
ES5.. cant wait.. will report on it once it arrives.
Thanks !

Aug 28, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #5,099 of 5,554
hi all.. im a newbie here.. Just wanted to stop by and say hi because I just ordered the ES5.
The only experience ive had with earphones/headphones so far is with Grade SR60 and Iphone earphones :)..
I did a ton of research all of last week. Thanks to hifi.org.. I was thinking of UM3x but finally took a plunge and ordered
ES5.. cant wait.. will report on it once it arrives.
Thanks !

Welcome to head fi and sorry for you wallet. The es5s are fantastic you wont regret your purchase :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back