Westone ES5
Aug 26, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #5,071 of 5,554

Quote:
Just received mine after 2 months of back and forth about artwork. First impression was left sounded a little different from right, possibly cus the fit was changing abit in my ear.after about 20 mins commuting,that problem seems resolved. But I still have a feeling that I'm missing details. Mids aren't sweet enough like I'm used to. I was listening through my iphone to some flacs.
Also I notice that after twisting forward to get the earpiece in, I can push it in deeper into my ear.
This doesn't change the seal, which is full whether or not I push it extra deep. Do you guys experience this? I'm not sure which is correct

The reason you feel that you are missing details from the ES5 is that you recently got the Liquid Lightning and SR009. 
biggrin.gif
 As for the fit only you can tell - mine doesn't require pushing deep to have a seal.

Aug 26, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #5,072 of 5,554
Back on topic, there is no denying the sound quality of the ES5. Listening to Gentle Giant's Acquiring the Taste, everything is right in the zone. Quite remarkable for something that fits into the diminutive Monitor Vault.

Aug 26, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #5,073 of 5,554
Quote:

The reason you feel that you are missing details from the ES5 is that you recently got the Liquid Lightning and SR009. 
biggrin.gif
 As for the fit only you can tell - mine doesn't require pushing deep to have a seal.

that's probably it. or just the fact that it isn't properly amped. it sounds remarkably ordinary compared to the stax i'm now used to. all the dynamics and staging and detail with the stax is miles ahead. do the the es5 need burnin?

Aug 26, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #5,074 of 5,554
Burn-in helps, and cables too. Twag v2 in my experience is a good combination with the ES5 IMO. The ALO SXC may have a little more top end but it is just too inflexible to use. I don't carry any amp when I am on the go.

Aug 26, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #5,076 of 5,554
Quote:
UERM is a whole different beast from the ES5 which is why I have both.  Thought versus feeling.

UERM is unlike any other UE iem and technically above those to my ears unless someone just wants a particular tonal balance like the UE18 has.  The imaging, resolution, depth and precision of the UERM just kills the other UEs.

From everyone that knows better than myself, JH signature is still slightly colored for some fun.

Hi, can you give me a more detailed comparison between UERM and ES5? I was initially planning to get the RM but since JH is on sale so I went for the JH. XD
I am particularly interested in the bass and treble of UERM. 

Aug 26, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #5,079 of 5,554
JH13s have substantially more treble as far as my ears can tell.
Both the ES5s and JH13s are colored, just in different ways.
I prefer Westone's signature. 
tongue.gif
 Let us know about how you feel when your JH13s arrive!

Aug 27, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #5,083 of 5,554
Just as I went out for a walk this evening I brought the ES5's with me and then when I pressed play on my rockboxed ipod I didn't realise that I had the volume maxed out! This scared the s*** out of me, not just because my eardrums were probably destroyed, but because I feared that the drivers might have been damaged. Has this happened to anyone and if so was there any damage on yours?

Aug 27, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #5,084 of 5,554
Belongs in the "You know you're an audiophile when..." thread. 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Just as I went out for a walk this evening I brought the ES5's with me and then when I pressed play on my rockboxed ipod I didn't realise that I had the volume maxed out! This scared the s*** out of me, not just because my eardrums were probably destroyed, but because I feared that the drivers might have been damaged. Has this happened to anyone and if so was there any damage on yours?

Yoona's whisper at the beginning of Forever is so realistic! 
ksc75smile.gif

Aug 27, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #5,085 of 5,554
Okay I think my right ear fit is definitely less snug than the left ear. It feels like there's more pressure on the upper side of the ear cavity kinda like a knuckle pressing against it, compared to the left side where it fits snug and the pressure's even. When I open/close my mouth the left side remains firmly in place. The right I can hear some movement. Have you guys experienced this and has it improved with time?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back