Westone ES5
Aug 22, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #5,056 of 5,554
Quote:
Yeah, it's the strangest thing. I typically leave my es5's at home, and run them through my laptop and amp. I started noticing an inequality with sound output but I figured it might be a fit issue. Now there's just nothing sigh. I'm using my jh13s now, and just hoping the problem will solve itself in the meantime. 

Hi, how does the JH13 treble and bass compare to ES5? I feel es5's treble sounds a bit bright to my ears and is a bit "fake" sounding. I like the ex1000 treble, how does JH13 sound?

Aug 22, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #5,057 of 5,554
Quote:
Hi, how does the JH13 treble and bass compare to ES5? I feel es5's treble sounds a bit bright to my ears and is a bit "fake" sounding. I like the ex1000 treble, how does JH13 sound?

Omg, something is wrong.  The EX1000 and JH13 are quite brighter than the ES5.  Must be your bad fit.  The ES5 is non fatiguing.

Aug 22, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #5,058 of 5,554
How much were your ES5 reshells per ear? Oh and they definitely shouldn't sound bright. 
confused_face_2.gif

Aug 23, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #5,060 of 5,554
Oh you just got your ES5s like a month ago, I thought it was out of the 3 month grace period. :p

Yeah they are energetic but it's not coming from the treble for me.
Most of the energy I'm feeling is coming from the bass and midrange.

Aug 23, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #5,061 of 5,554
Quote:
Es5 is quite energetic and bright to my ears. And I think some others would also think so.

No I don't think so.  Yours is broken or is infested with treble fairies.  Are you using the Continental V2 in your profile?  I wonder if the output impedance is messing w/ it.

Aug 23, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #5,062 of 5,554
Quote:

No I don't think so.  Yours is broken or is infested with treble fairies.  Are you using the Continental V2 in your profile?  I wonder if the output impedance is messing w/ it.

I use SR71A for the es5. Maybe it's the amp's fault here XD
I am too used to the W4 sound I guess...

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #5,063 of 5,554
Quote:
I use SR71A for the es5. Maybe it's the amp's fault here XD
I am too used to the W4 sound I guess...

I also tried ES5 with my SR71A, and the last word I would use to describe the sounds is "bright"...  I also bought a pair of W4 as birthday present for my brother, and I did listen to it for a while - muddy and too dark to say the least, but yes, quite natural and "analog" as far as universals are concerned. Once you get used to ES5's sound, there is no turning back. Give it a week a so, dude.

Aug 25, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #5,064 of 5,554
Quote:

I also tried ES5 with my SR71A, and the last word I would use to describe the sounds is "bright"...  I also bought a pair of W4 as birthday present for my brother, and I did listen to it for a while - muddy and too dark to say the least, but yes, quite natural and "analog" as far as universals are concerned. Once you get used to ES5's sound, there is no turning back. Give it a week a so, dude.

Right now I've just sent them back for a reshell. I also bought JH13 today and am really looking forward to do a comparison between the 2 as they seem to be the most popular choices among customs : )

Aug 26, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #5,065 of 5,554
Quote:
Right now I've just sent them back for a reshell. I also bought JH13 today and am really looking forward to do a comparison between the 2 as they seem to be the most popular choices among customs : )

My ES5 are just very slightly brighter or "louder in the treble" than my JH13Pro, but it's very close and neither are too bright or harsh or sibilant.  Other's seem to have a little darker signature to theirs, but mine have been scoped at Westone and are exactly where they want the frequency response to be (I know a couple of people there and live in town where they are).  More recently I do find the ES5 to be more ruthless in showing the flaws in the mastering technique, but fairly forgiving of low bit rate compressed music if the mastering is done well.  Overall those are THE two custom IEM I spend all my time with - I'm not using my others much anymore.  You can't lose with either one.

Aug 26, 2012 at 4:42 AM Post #5,066 of 5,554
Quote:

My ES5 are just very slightly brighter or "louder in the treble" than my JH13Pro, but it's very close and neither are too bright or harsh or sibilant.  Other's seem to have a little darker signature to theirs, but mine have been scoped at Westone and are exactly where they want the frequency response to be (I know a couple of people there and live in town where they are).  More recently I do find the ES5 to be more ruthless in showing the flaws in the mastering technique, but fairly forgiving of low bit rate compressed music if the mastering is done well.  Overall those are THE two custom IEM I spend all my time with - I'm not using my others much anymore.  You can't lose with either one.

Would it be fair to say that if you already have the ES5, it is better to go for another custom, say UERM, rather than JH13 or 16, which is more similar than different from the ES5? Btw I also have the UE18 Pro.

Aug 26, 2012 at 6:49 AM Post #5,067 of 5,554
UERM is a whole different beast from the ES5 which is why I have both.  Thought versus feeling.

UERM is unlike any other UE iem and technically above those to my ears unless someone just wants a particular tonal balance like the UE18 has.  The imaging, resolution, depth and precision of the UERM just kills the other UEs.

From everyone that knows better than myself, JH signature is still slightly colored for some fun.

Aug 26, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #5,068 of 5,554
Just received mine after 2 months of back and forth about artwork. First impression was left sounded a little different from right, possibly cus the fit was changing abit in my ear.after about 20 mins commuting,that problem seems resolved. But I still have a feeling that I'm missing details. Mids aren't sweet enough like I'm used to. I was listening through my iphone to some flacs.

Also I notice that after twisting forward to get the earpiece in, I can push it in deeper into my ear.
This doesn't change the seal, which is full whether or not I push it extra deep. Do you guys experience this? I'm not sure which is correct

Aug 26, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #5,069 of 5,554
Quote:
UERM is a whole different beast from the ES5 which is why I have both.  Thought versus feeling.

UERM is unlike any other UE iem and technically above those to my ears unless someone just wants a particular tonal balance like the UE18 has.  The imaging, resolution, depth and precision of the UERM just kills the other UEs.

From everyone that knows better than myself, JH signature is still slightly colored for some fun.

Nice - I am also contemplating to get the UERM - now that the "custom" UERM is out, I am contemplating the possibility of UE having one of those measurement equipment to be shipped to Hong Kong, since Hong Kong has a relatively large head-fi market. 

Aug 26, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #5,070 of 5,554
Quote:

Would it be fair to say that if you already have the ES5, it is better to go for another custom, say UERM, rather than JH13 or 16, which is more similar than different from the ES5? Btw I also have the UE18 Pro.

Or go for something truly different instead of a variation?

The Piano Forte IX don't isolate. But in quiet locations I am liking them even more than the ES5 with a lot of music. Most of all, I am loving having the choice.

(Warning: You really should try them first. They are unconventional to say the least.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back