Westone ES5
Aug 15, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #5,041 of 5,554
Quote:
I finally got around to trying the ES5 with my Beta-22. Very careful I was! I know this thing would blow the ES5 to kingdom come. But man, did that sound sweet. Popped open the soundstage a tad and gave the overall sound signature some pizzaz. It was very cool to hear. These things sound great with an iPhone, and don't scale as well as some (which is a benefit to me), but put a Beta-22 behind it and you can make angels cry. 

I'm of the few that appreciates the difference.  Fret not, you aren't alone.  Our group meets Wednesday evenings.

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #5,043 of 5,554
Quote:
I have been looking for a different custom IEM after having fit issues with my JH16 (having gone through at least 6 re-fits now, and am still unsatisfied).

What are some common fit problems associated with the ES5? Are most ES5 users satisfied with the fit and comfort of their ES5?

I had mine reshelled with Fisher, so it's a solid acrylic set. No fit issues here, can listen for hours and I can't stand going back to universals. The fit, comfort, and ease of insertion is far superior with customs for me. I would imagine the soft vinyl tips would be even better in terms of comfort. 

Aug 16, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #5,044 of 5,554
Quote:
I finally got around to trying the ES5 with my Beta-22. Very careful I was! I know this thing would blow the ES5 to kingdom come. But man, did that sound sweet. Popped open the soundstage a tad and gave the overall sound signature some pizzaz. It was very cool to hear. These things sound great with an iPhone, and don't scale as well as some (which is a benefit to me), but put a Beta-22 behind it and you can make angels cry. 

People always seem to think I'm nuts when I use my ES5 with a full size amp like my Eddie Current ZDT or Woo WA6, but those two amps are fantastic with all my IEM, and can still drive a 300 ohm HD800 well.

Aug 17, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #5,045 of 5,554
Drivers on my right IEM blown out or something; no output at all. Really sad about it. Anyone know a place to repair besides Westone? Thanks

Aug 17, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #5,046 of 5,554
If it's out of warranty, the only company that can repair the driver (aka replace in this case) that will have matching sound will be Westone themselves and you'll have to pay around $500 for the one side, from what I recall. Sorry :frowning2: You can try replacing all the drivers in both sides with some custom drivers from Dreamearz. Someone with the ES5 replaced and customized some of his drivers to tweak the sound to his liking, and he loved the outcome. :| Good luck...
Quote:
Drivers on my right IEM blown out or something; no output at all. Really sad about it. Anyone know a place to repair besides Westone? Thanks

Aug 17, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #5,047 of 5,554
Okay so I've had my ES5s for 50 days now and put close to 200 hours on them. All I can say is that I still love them as much as I loved them on the first day. The bass seems to have become more refined. I also feel there is a every so slightly less bass now. Not sure if this has to do with burn in or just my ears acclimating to them. The vocals are still my favorite thing ever. I swear some there are some tracks where a whisper comes from just one channel and I turn my head. It's that realistic. I originally complained a bit about how I wished there were a bit more at 5khz and 7-8khz but now I think I like it. I can listen to these for at least 3 hours straight without any fatigue. 
smile.gif

Oh and does anyone have a Dragonfly and a ES5? Do they sound good together? Thanks!

Aug 17, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #5,049 of 5,554
I dont want something that will color the ES5s too much as I find them quite enjoyable already. Something portable that sounds clean that can open up the highs and the soundstage while enhancing detail retrieval a bit would be good for me. 
smile.gif

Aug 17, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #5,051 of 5,554
Sounds exactly like you need a cable upgrade first. ;P
Quote:
I dont want something that will color the ES5s too much as I find them quite enjoyable already. Something portable that sounds clean that can open up the highs and the soundstage while enhancing detail retrieval a bit would be good for me. 
smile.gif

Aug 18, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #5,052 of 5,554
Quote:

pretty unlikely that you blew all the drivers on one side, i'd try another cable first.  I suppose the connection could be having issues on the IEM side too, but again, i wouldnt assume its the drivers
can you explain what happened?  did they just stop working, or did you crank the volume too hard or something?

Aug 19, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #5,053 of 5,554
Quote:
Leckerton UHA6S.

+1 for the Leckerton.  I got to try Anaxilus' at the LAX meet.  A lot more neutral then my Ibasso pb2 with Topkit.  I felt the ibasso and iphone being to bassy and overpowering mids and vocals a bit.

Aug 19, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #5,054 of 5,554
Quote:
pretty unlikely that you blew all the drivers on one side, i'd try another cable first.  I suppose the connection could be having issues on the IEM side too, but again, i wouldnt assume its the drivers
can you explain what happened?  did they just stop working, or did you crank the volume too hard or something?

Yeah, it's the strangest thing. I typically leave my es5's at home, and run them through my laptop and amp. I started noticing an inequality with sound output but I figured it might be a fit issue. Now there's just nothing sigh. I'm using my jh13s now, and just hoping the problem will solve itself in the meantime. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back