Westone ES5
Aug 12, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #5,028 of 5,554
Ya, i am not a Macbook user. 

I am doubt about this also. I asked B&W, if you play a song with 24 bits format via 16 bits DAC, your song will be down grade and still able to sing via your speakers.

I tested an active speakers with built in 16 bits DAC in Adelphi before, It was connected to a storage player and playing a song with 24/192, the speakers had no sound.

Next weekend Jaben is organizing Road Show, you guys joining?

Edit: Maybe macbook could play 24bits and 44.1/48khz sample rate only.

Aug 13, 2012 at 6:04 AM Post #5,029 of 5,554
Ya, i am not a Macbook user. 

I am doubt about this also. I asked B&W, if you play a song with 24 bits format via 16 bits DAC, your song will be down grade and still able to sing via your speakers.

I tested an active speakers with built in 16 bits DAC in Adelphi before, It was connected to a storage player and playing a song with 24/192, the speakers had no sound.

Next weekend Jaben is organizing Road Show, you guys joining?

Edit: Maybe macbook could play 24bits and 44.1/48khz sample rate only.
Haha I wished I had the time to go but damn so many exams lol

Aug 14, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #5,031 of 5,554
Just collected my es5. I think I may need a refit. I did open mouth impressions with a bite block. Right now with e es5s in, I get better isolation with my mouth open. With my mouth closed, there initially was a loss of seal, but after a few mins ( e tips expanding i suppose), e seal is better. But still it isolates better when i open my mouth. Also lose seal with turning my head n looking up (while mouth closed) and clenching. Fortunarely other than seal issues, no comfort probs or pain during insertion and while in the ear.

Feels like I should do a closed mouth impression this time round. Any thoughts guys?

Aug 14, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #5,032 of 5,554
Quote:
Just collected my es5. I think I may need a refit. I did open mouth impressions with a bite block. Right now with e es5s in, I get better isolation with my mouth open. With my mouth closed, there initially was a loss of seal, but after a few mins ( e tips expanding i suppose), e seal is better. But still it isolates better when i open my mouth. Also lose seal with turning my head n looking up (while mouth closed) and clenching. Fortunarely other than seal issues, no comfort probs or pain during insertion and while in the ear.
Feels like I should do a closed mouth impression this time round. Any thoughts guys?

I think you should do closed mouth impressions. I have the same issue and if I ever have new ones made, they'll be closed mouth. Everyone has different canals, varying degrees of tissue mobility, and no one method suits all. Tell your audiologist about your problems and work on a solution.

Aug 14, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #5,034 of 5,554
Quote:
Quote:

I think you should do closed mouth impressions. I have the same issue and if I ever have new ones made, they'll be closed mouth. Everyone has different canals, varying degrees of tissue mobility, and no one method suits all. Tell your audiologist about your problems and work on a solution.

Thx b0ck3n. I tested again wearing them while music's playing from desktop speakers, and the music's noticeably softer when I open my mouth. Oh well. Guess it's another trip to the audiologist.

But damn they sound good. :)

Aug 15, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #5,035 of 5,554
every time i've had new customs, it took a week or two for me to really be able to tell how they fit.. you might give them some time before you get a refit.  sometimes your ears settle in  and  they start to fit better... or worse

Aug 15, 2012 at 4:53 AM Post #5,036 of 5,554
I have had my ES5 now for a month,no issues ( left side a bit tight but my left side is always an issue) simply amazing mid range out of these. As an alternate after hearing them,I ordered the JH 13. They are both excellent,different sound signatures.
I am now looking for an amplifier that will work with both. I have been recommended the RSA Shadow and the PIco Slim,anyone here with any of these combinations have any recommendations? I listen with an Ipod lossless,as well as out of an HRT i streamer.
I want to thank average joe and headphone addict for their insight so far.

Aug 15, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #5,037 of 5,554
I have been looking for a different custom IEM after having fit issues with my JH16 (having gone through at least 6 re-fits now, and am still unsatisfied).

What are some common fit problems associated with the ES5? Are most ES5 users satisfied with the fit and comfort of their ES5?

Aug 15, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #5,038 of 5,554
The only problem I have with them is that they are soft tips. Let me explain. 

The soft tips are excellent, very comfortable and isolates well, everything that you could want from soft tips. They are also bendable and mouldable which allows quite a large amount of adjustment of the tip inside your ear canal, which is a good thing in most cases. The only problem I find is that when the tip has moved for whatever reason (such as falling asleep on one side of the head which then changes the tip angle slightly as you are pressing against the ear accidently) when you take them out they harden again in that shape, they are therefore no longer best fitting. I have to spend some time to push, pull, twist until it is back in it's "optimum" shape and location. 

I would imagine this would not occur on solid acrylic CIEMs. But after a few weeks, you sort of know where to press and prod to get it right, after that it's fine again.

Otherwise, excellent.

Aug 15, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #5,039 of 5,554
Quote:
I am now looking for an amplifier that will work with both. I have been recommended the RSA Shadow and the PIco Slim,anyone here with any of these combinations have any recommendations? I listen with an Ipod lossless,as well as out of an HRT i streamer.
I want to thank average joe and headphone addict for their insight so far.

Leckerton UHA6S.

Aug 15, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #5,040 of 5,554
I finally got around to trying the ES5 with my Beta-22. Very careful I was! I know this thing would blow the ES5 to kingdom come. But man, did that sound sweet. Popped open the soundstage a tad and gave the overall sound signature some pizzaz. It was very cool to hear. These things sound great with an iPhone, and don't scale as well as some (which is a benefit to me), but put a Beta-22 behind it and you can make angels cry. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back