Westone ES5
Jan 31, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #4,023 of 5,554
The PB2 with the topkit sounded on par or better than the SR71B. I actually did not favor the darker signature of the RSA. The PB2 with topkit gave me the sparkle that I was looking for, as well as equal amount of bass presence as the SR71B. 
However, the O2 just blew the others out of the water. The bass is much more impactful, but not overwhelming, as it still retains the LCD2 signature, just bigger and more detailed and textured than ever before with any other portable gear I've tried. I believe the O2 does not color the sound in ANY sort of way, and offers very good transparency and detail, more so than the PB2. It just sounds more open and natural, and bigger. I think the music is more engaging now. I can't really comment on soundstage as it varies depending on the music, but I believe since the O2 sounds more open, the sound presents itself more 3D-like.

I'm excited to try it with the ES5.

Ben, do you agree with the above?

Quote:
Note to self.  Cross off SR71B and PB2 from list of amps to try.  The O2 is in second place on my portable, uhum, transportable amp list.  Although I notice you are using it w/ the LCD2 so the O2 should have the upper hand w/ driving headphones.  

Are the SR71B and PB2 lacking transparency or what do you like better w/ the O2?

Jan 31, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #4,024 of 5,554

Quote:
The PB2 with the topkit sounded on par or better than the SR71B. I actually did not favor the darker signature of the RSA. The PB2 with topkit gave me the sparkle that I was looking for, as well as equal amount of bass presence as the SR71B. 
However, the O2 just blew the others out of the water. The bass is much more impactful, but not overwhelming, as it still retains the LCD2 signature, just bigger and more detailed and textured than ever before with any other portable gear I've tried. I believe the O2 does not color the sound in ANY sort of way, and offers very good transparency and detail, more so than the PB2. It just sounds more open and natural, and bigger. I think the music is more engaging now. I can't really comment on soundstage as it varies depending on the music, but I believe since the O2 sounds more open, the sound presents itself more 3D-like.

I'm excited to try it with the ES5.

Ben, do you agree with the above?

since i have not directly compared it to other amps, and can only go by memory, which to me is just not possible, i cant really say.  I can say that i think the O2 sounds EXCELLENT. As i have mentioned before - when my Stacker II finally arrives, It is going to have to cook me breakfast and do my laundry to justify its near 10x price compared to the O2.

I would not be surprised at all if it bested those amps you mentioned and more.

Jan 31, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #4,027 of 5,554

Thanks dude. Can I specify high-end caps and resistors etc. for the builds? Or are they purchased as-is?

Quote:
It's called NwAvGuy O2? Lol.
It's a DIY headamp kit. JDS labs, epiphany acoustics and some other places sell the ready made ones for use.

Jan 31, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #4,028 of 5,554
O2 is short for 'Objective2', and you might want to take the time to find someone who will build you one in a more appealing case than my EHP-02. Oliver and JDS both stuck with nwavguy's original faceplate layout (see below) but there is a photo of a much nicer enclosure in one of the Objective2 threads where someone has altered the layout to cut down on the clutter at the front. Superb effort.

http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=O2Full

Jan 31, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #4,029 of 5,554
O2 is short for 'Objective2', and you might want to take the time to find someone who will build you one in a more appealing case than my EHP-02. Oliver and JDS both stuck with nwavguy's original faceplate layout (see below) but there is a photo of a much nicer enclosure in one of the Objective2 threads where someone has altered the layout to cut down on the clutter at the front. Superb effort.

http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=O2Full

Ah time to dig out that guy :)

Jan 31, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #4,030 of 5,554
Did you run the SR-71B in balanced mode with your cans? I know with my protector even the balanced out sounds much better than the single ended output. I'm moving up to the SR-71B to power my LCD-2s and ES5 for portable and daytime use.

I know I can easily fit the SR-71B in my briefcase, does the o2 end up being too heavy? I'd like to give one of them a shot sometime here myself.

Jan 31, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #4,031 of 5,554
@googleli: I think you'll be amazed at how well the O2 performs! It's amazing for a portable. I ordered mine through JDS and got it within 7 business days. :) It only comes as is for JDS unless you try and emailing them.

@danska: It will depend on how heavy you can tolerate. It's around two times the size of the PB2 or 2.5x the SR71B but it's not that heavy. It's just thick in two dimensions instead of one, almost a square. Yes I used the SR71B in full balanced mode in and out.

Feb 1, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #4,032 of 5,554

Quote:
Thanks dude. Can I specify high-end caps and resistors etc. for the builds? Or are they purchased as-is?

Haha!  They would crucify you for doing that.  I'm not sure it's your sort of device.  
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #4,033 of 5,554
I went the Audiologist yesterday for molding and a blind sampling of all her IEMs. I had my mind set on the JH-16s, but after doing a blind sampling of all the IEMs the ES5 by far were the best sounding headphones for me. The clear, rich, full sound was what did it for me, I even asked my audiologist to give me the JH-16 s again so I can listen, but the strong bass muddled some of the sounds I was enjoying out of the ES5. I am new to this and see how it can get addicting, I just put in my order for the ES5 and can't wait until I get them. 

As a side note I noticed that the box for storing the ES5 is huge, part of the reason I bought a CIEM was for portability, any travel cases or pouches you guys recommend?

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #4,034 of 5,554
Your audiologist had a universal JH16 sitting around? 
confused_face(1).gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back