Westone ES5
Dec 5, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #3,691 of 5,554

Quote:
So they do make it shorter upon request? Does it feel more comfortable?

For my case yes. For other cases, not so sure. It sure feels less intrusive but chances that you may break the seal and achieve suboptimal sound is also greater.

Dec 7, 2011 at 5:10 AM Post #3,694 of 5,554
My ES5 have a short nozzle for the left side and a long nozzle aka full impression for the right side

Usage in first few months, short nozzle definitely wins out in terms of comfort/fit, however after that, i very much prefer long nozzle

In the long run, for me, the short nozzle seemed to lose abit of its grip, thus if the ear is a little oily, it may slipped around alittle, no effect on SQ, but it does get alittle irritating. By comparison, the long nozzle became non-intrusive and fits much better with a greater grip. No difference in SQ though.

1 small thing to note though: when i speak, i dont get the voice resonance from my throat back into my ears with the long nozzle, its totally silent, your voice is just like any outside voice, totally isolated, while for the short nozzle, its gets damn irritating when your speaking and you can hear yourself through your iem.

my 2 cents
redface.gif

Dec 8, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #3,695 of 5,554
Hey guys. I'm getting back into head-fi again after a long break. Just picked up some HD650's and a Bifrost  to go with an existing (old school) heavily modified MG Head amp. But enough about me.

I am going to get my brother some high end custom IEMs for Christmas & his unfortunately timed birthday and my question is -  will it be a complete waste of money to buy him some Westone ES5's? Will the quality be lost on a non head-fi'er running them off an iPhone 4s or iPad? He flies every week and needs strong isolation but has avoided IEMs due to comfort issues and lack off bass (he's tried mid ranged Shure IEMs). Am I better off just saving the cash and getting him a top tier universal IEM instead?

Thanks in advance.

Dec 8, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #3,696 of 5,554
This really is a toss up; everybody is different. If you think the he will truly appreciate the sound, by all means go for it if you can afford it. On the other hand, if you think he'll hear the ES5 and tell you that it sounds just like any other high-end universal, maybe it won't be worth it. I run my ES5 off my iPhone and it's perfectly fine, but sometimes, I wonder if I should've just went with universals since I'm not as analytical in my music as when I'm listening to the LCD-2.

How about if you do a bit of research on a good balanced, but slightly bassy, custom that's cheaper than the ES5? $1000 is a lot to be investing in a first-timer. 

Or if he likes on-ear headphones, there's this hype going on about the V-Moda M-80. Of course, I haven't tried it so I can't say anything about the sound, but it seems to be the general consensus that the M-80 is a good performing headphone for its price, and it's pretty stylish too. I'm jumping on one the moment there's another coupon sale.

Good luck.

Quote:
Hey guys. I'm getting back into head-fi again after a long break. Just picked up some HD650's and a Bifrost  to go with an existing (old school) heavily modified MG Head amp. But enough about me.

I am going to get my brother some high end custom IEMs for Christmas & his unfortunately timed birthday and my question is -  will it be a complete waste of money to buy him some Westone ES5's? Will the quality be lost on a non head-fi'er running them off an iPhone 4s or iPad? He flies every week and needs strong isolation but has avoided IEMs due to comfort issues and lack off bass (he's tried mid ranged Shure IEMs). Am I better off just saving the cash and getting him a top tier universal IEM instead?

Thanks in advance.

Dec 8, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #3,697 of 5,554
Littletino, the ES5 are wondeful. The question is: do you really want to spend that much on your brother? If you do, he should be very happy. An alternative is the universal Westone 4R. They aren't as good but they are still good... and half the price.

Dec 8, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #3,699 of 5,554
If you want more bass, definitely get the UE18 Pro - clean and tight but with great accuracy. ES5's bass is excellent too, but pales in front of the UE18 Pro.

Dec 10, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #3,702 of 5,554
after quite a bit of time with them I've realized the UM miracles are almost certainly not for me and will most likely be putting them up for sale and trying the es5's.   what a bummer.

does anyone know if westone will reshell - ideally i'd like to buy a used pair and get it reshelled rather than buy new and pay full price.
do they let you go to any audiologist you want and send your molds yourself or do you have to to to one of the ones on their list?
i cant find an order form for them.. do their audiologists have them or something?

i see people selling their es5's so someone must offer at least some kind of reshell - good to know if for no other reason than resale-ability?

thanks all.

Dec 10, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #3,704 of 5,554

Quote:

what do they charge for refits?
what is the turn around like?

thanks

I think it was in the two-three hundred dollars ballpark?  That's for a remold.

Dec 11, 2011 at 9:29 AM Post #3,705 of 5,554
Had W4 for several months and hated them. For me their mids are too veil, bass is too dominating, and vocal is unnatural.
Although I really like UM3X - crystal detailed, with natural mids including vocal. But a little lack of low bass as for me.
Any chances I would love ES5?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back