Westone ES5
Nov 23, 2011 at 4:06 AM Post #3,676 of 5,554
I had a SE530 and hated its mids. I agree the ES5 is very good but still a bit too full to my liking. Improves quite a bit with the Fostex HP-P1 -> Stepdance though. The LCD2's mid is just right to me.

Nov 23, 2011 at 4:53 AM Post #3,677 of 5,554

Quote:
I had a SE530 and hated its mids. I agree the ES5 is very good but still a bit too full to my liking. Improves quite a bit with the Fostex HP-P1 -> Stepdance though. The LCD2's mid is just right to me.

Too full? I find LCD2 to be much fuller than ES5. Must be your amp. Haa.

Nov 23, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #3,678 of 5,554
The fullness is different. The LCD2 has a fullness in the mid range but still focused. I call it the creaminess of the LCD Rev 1. The ES5's "fullness" means the mid range occupys a larger part of your head without a clear focus in the center. Yes the mid range is good too, but just too unfocused for me. Improves quite a bit with proper DAC and amping though. Using Stepdance / SR71A / SR71B by the way so it mustn't be the amp. :) 

Nov 23, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #3,679 of 5,554

Quote:
The fullness is different. The LCD2 has a fullness in the mid range but still focused. I call it the creaminess of the LCD Rev 1. The ES5's "fullness" means the mid range occupys a larger part of your head without a clear focus in the center. Yes the mid range is good too, but just too unfocused for me. Improves quite a bit with proper DAC and amping though. Using Stepdance / SR71A / SR71B by the way so it mustn't be the amp. :) 

What is this lack of center and swirling I keep hearing?  My ES5s put the singer dead nutz in the center, perfectly resolved, right where the recording has them.  There is no blob or hole or anything above, under or behind me with images rendered more vividly and completely than any other IEM I've heard yet.  Everything is pretty much correct left to right w/ depth being the only other variable.  It seems like we've had inverse experiences w/ the phones in question.  I had some very odd SS issues w/ the r.1 using a couple different samples.  Sounds like you got a sweet r.1.

Nov 24, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #3,682 of 5,554

Quote:
For anyone who thinks they have a perfect fit, does your seal break when you smile wide? Like excessively wide.

Nope.  Then again, smiling is against my religion.  
biggrin.gif

Nov 24, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #3,683 of 5,554
Hm... Time for a refit?
Do you think they would do a refit if I sent in my friend's ear impressions totally different from my ears? Do they care that I'd be giving my ES5 to someone else? :|

Nov 26, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #3,686 of 5,554

Quote:
I apologize for for this, but I really have no self control.  Earphone cable is 100% absolute USDA prime crap.  You should take a look at the cable that is used inside your IEMs or source.  Within the path of anything you put outside of them, they are still in the path.  This is low voltage, low current signal.  The conductors used are fine and at absolute most, you may get a cable that sounds slightly different but that doesn't mean it sounds better.

Pay for a cable if you want it to look pretty or feel nice.  That is totally cool.  But don't buy it expecting sonic improvement.  Cable has been high profit snake oil in the audio industry for years and as long as there is a sucker, there will be a profiteer to sell it.  Seriously, the raw cable is insanely cheap.  If there was even marginal sonic gains to be had, the guys that make the IEMs would include it as a competitive advantage.

I have Nordost and Monster cable on my home system.  I have compared it to the cable I bought at Home Depot and there is zero difference.  I mostly got it, because with $15,000 in speakers it had to just look cool.  

I did notice an improvement bi-amping/wiring, but that is completely different.

One of the best post in this thread...

Dec 5, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #3,689 of 5,554

Quote:
Has anyone asked for shorter nozzle when. ordering them? It seems to be too long compare to other CIEMs. Will it completely change the sound signature?

I will say that having a shorter nozzle will affect the sound slightly but it will not completely change the sound signature. My first ES5 has a much longer nozzle and my refit has the nozzle length shortened by 30%. The difference is not big enough for me to realize any differences in the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back