Westone ES5
Oct 8, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #3,466 of 5,554
So for the ES5, everyone just pays the MSRP of $950, or do they sell for lower, and the price just depends on what the local dealer wants to charge? 

For example, you can check Westone's site for the universal ones and the MSRP is a certain price, but you go to Amazon, etc. and can find them much cheaper. 

For example.  This is a comparison of the Westone 4....

$639
http://www.westonemusicproducts.com/catalog/westone-4-quad-driver-earphone

$419
http://www.amazon.com/Westone-Four-Driver-Universal-Earphones/dp/B004M4RTUY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318124706&sr=8-1

If anybody wants to post or even PM some pricing that would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Oct 9, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #3,468 of 5,554
My understanding is that the price you pay depends on the audiologist or retailer (if you're mailing molds to someone like earplugstore).  Based on anectodal evidence, I'd guess that Westone charges audiologists in the US somewhere between $750-800 for ES5.  So whether you can get a price less than $950 just depends on how much a particular audiologist is willing to surrender from that margin. 

When you consider that you're paying for their time to do the impressions, mailing, and possible re-fits, and that they can make a decent amount per hour in their core business of hearing aids and hearing-related therapy, I'd say it's unlikely you'll find an audiologist willing to offer a substantial discount.

Oct 10, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #3,469 of 5,554

Quote:
So for the ES5, everyone just pays the MSRP of $950, or do they sell for lower, and the price just depends on what the local dealer wants to charge? 

For example, you can check Westone's site for the universal ones and the MSRP is a certain price, but you go to Amazon, etc. and can find them much cheaper. 

For example.  This is a comparison of the Westone 4....

$639
http://www.westonemusicproducts.com/catalog/westone-4-quad-driver-earphone

$419
http://www.amazon.com/Westone-Four-Driver-Universal-Earphones/dp/B004M4RTUY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318124706&sr=8-1

If anybody wants to post or even PM some pricing that would be very helpful.

Thanks!

BTW, when you click "Add to Cart" directly on the Westone site, it charges $449 for the Westone 4.  $639 is just the MIRP (Manufacturer's Imaginary Retail Price).

Oct 11, 2011 at 3:15 AM Post #3,470 of 5,554
Man, this single subwoofer in the ES5 can really handle some heavy EQ. 
blink.gif

Oct 12, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #3,472 of 5,554
Does anyone know what reshelling will do to the ES5's sound? Has anyone gotten an ES5 reshelled, or at least heard of someone getting one reshelled? I would imagine, the full acrylic shell will present a different sound than the hybrid shell's.

Oct 13, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #3,473 of 5,554
I can't say exactly how the ES5's sound would change with an acrylic tip, but based on the other all-acrylic customs I own, I don't think it would be significant.  IMO, the silicone tip mostly helps maintain a seal and to provide some degree of "give" when the tips are moving in your ears.  In other words, the tip material seems to affect the fit and comfort more than the sound.

I say this in part because my JH16 (acrylic tip) and ES5 sounded so uncannily similar.  The  sonic differences were definitely subtle in comparison to the different feel of the tips and the slightly less noticeable "occlusion" sounds I heard while walking with the ES5s in my ears (like my own breathing and footsteps).

Oct 13, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #3,474 of 5,554

Quote:
I can't say exactly how the ES5's sound would change with an acrylic tip, but based on the other all-acrylic customs I own, I don't think it would be significant.  IMO, the silicone tip mostly helps maintain a seal and to provide some degree of "give" when the tips are moving in your ears.  In other words, the tip material seems to affect the fit and comfort more than the sound.

I say this in part because my JH16 (acrylic tip) and ES5 sounded so uncannily similar.  The  sonic differences were definitely subtle in comparison to the different feel of the tips and the slightly less noticeable "occlusion" sounds I heard while walking with the ES5s in my ears (like my own breathing and footsteps).

Even in terms of bass presentation?

Oct 13, 2011 at 3:13 AM Post #3,475 of 5,554
Bass and midrange were probably the 2 areas that I found the 16 and ES5 to diverge the most.  I felt the 16's bass went deeper, but also had a slight bump in the sub-bass, whereas the ES5's bass bump seems to be closer to the mid-bass range.  Overall impact level seemed roughly the same.

Oct 15, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #3,477 of 5,554
I would apprecaite if anyone could post a brief description of the ES5's sound in balanced vs. SE, and a very brief comparison of sound between amping the ES5 with the Slim vs. SR71B.

Thank you!

Oct 15, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #3,478 of 5,554

Quote:
Bass and midrange were probably the 2 areas that I found the 16 and ES5 to diverge the most.  I felt the 16's bass went deeper, but also had a slight bump in the sub-bass, whereas the ES5's bass bump seems to be closer to the mid-bass range.  Overall impact level seemed roughly the same.

Yep, I heard that same bump in the JH13 demo's I auditioned. Sounds lovely.

Oct 20, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #3,479 of 5,554

Quote:
I would apprecaite if anyone could post a brief description of the ES5's sound in balanced vs. SE, and a very brief comparison of sound between amping the ES5 with the Slim vs. SR71B.
Thank you!

If you search my posts you'll find that I did that a few months ago.  I think I put a link to the post in my public profile as well.

Edit - the profile page splits up the link into a clickable part and then you have the add the rest of the missing link, so here it is combined as one working link http://www.head-fi.org/t/495931/westone-es5/1245#post_7330188

Oct 20, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #3,480 of 5,554
These things happen a lot with customs, not only the ES5 but the UEs as well. My UE18 Pro got shipped back three times for repair and my ES5 for one time. Customs are high maintenance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back