Westone ES5
Jun 23, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #2,761 of 5,554
Haha I'm underage so I don't drink alcohol~
And personally I hate smoking. Well I've never tried it but from 2nd hand smoke I already have a strong anti feeling against it!
But thats just me :p

But err I drink freshly squeezed Orange Juice when I listen to my ES5s at home :)

Quote:
Alright so now that we've established what we like to smoke when listening to our ES5s, what do you guys like to drink when listening to your ES5s?
cool.gif

Jun 23, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #2,762 of 5,554
Oh I could never pick favourites so easily... Beerwise, this week, I'm really loving Boddington's. Goes extremely well with Cubans too as it's very smooth and creamy. On the whiskey front, as of right now I'm really liking Laphroaig.

Jun 23, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #2,763 of 5,554
Talisker and Lagavulin.  Laphroaig will put some hair on your chest.  FWIW, I'm not a cigar inhaler.  That's pretty much verbotten in my book.  Can't stand cigarettes, YUCK!

Beer-Asahi Black, Kaiser Doppelmalz (can't get in US),  Kriek, Gambrinus, Cusquena, Karlovacko, Pilser Urquell to name a few.  I like Bocks too. 

As for question 4, I guess I listen to enough DAC's, amps, phones where I never feel bored.  I do have my 602 for that NOS DAC flavor and synergy when it's called for.  The Arrow is versatile as all heck.  The QA350 gives me a solid WM8740 platform.  Clip is tiny and capable.  IERM is flat as flat as I've heard for monitoring.  DACPort resolves gobs of detail for a portable solution.  ZO is interesting.  I like it below 1-2 steps but I'm having issues above that.  I'm trying to figure out what's responsible.  MD's don't get much use these days as backups but they are so unique sounding I can't seem to part w/ them.  I might pick up a Sony EX or MDR for monitoring and sampling a breadth of gear w/o the hassle of impedance curves.  Also for when I actually want some ambient sound leakage and low volume listening.  Plus I have a Merlin demo on hand which is unique in being a hybrid.  Still waiting for my amp to move out of prototype phase to mate w/ the HD800 and I just picked up an E9 to drive my T50RP.  Boy is that a nice pairing.  No portable amp can drive the T50RP like the E9.  Anything that can is probably around the same size.  

Anway, the ES5 is still my live performance transporter.  The fact that it's so isolating, tiny and portable is great.   

Jun 23, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #2,764 of 5,554
^Lagavulin is great. I'm also a freak for Czech lager - Urquelle, Staropramen (especially the dark iterations), Starobrno etc. A really good brandy pairs well with some cigars too. I used to smoke cigarettes but I'd never inhale cigar smoke, as huge as the Behikes are they'd kill you before you get to the end of it. :p

If we're sophisticated folk who enjoy the good things in life and IERM users are vegans who neither smoke nor drink, what does that make the JHA people?

Jun 23, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #2,765 of 5,554

Quote:
^Lagavulin is great. I'm also a freak for Czech lager - Urquelle, Staropramen (especially the dark iterations), Starobrno etc. A really good brandy pairs well with some cigars too. I used to smoke cigarettes but I'd never inhale cigar smoke, as huge as the Behikes are they'd kill you before you get to the end of it.
tongue.gif

If we're sofisticated folk who enjoy the good things in life and IERM users are vegans who neither smoke nor drink, what does that make the JHA people?

JHA people are those with hair too long and partial deafness from years and years of rocking!

Jun 24, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #2,767 of 5,554
Jun 24, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #2,768 of 5,554
So I've playing around w/ lots of gear lately and haven't been able to romance my ES5's as much lately.   Decided to set aside some snooky time tonight.  Sigh, I should just call it quits and spare myself the trouble.  More time for listening.  

Anax and ES5 up in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G!

I don't know if people who have heard both can chime in but it's like the Monster MD's had a baby w/ the UE IERM.

Edit - Paul Desmond is actually in my head playing the Sax from 'Take Five' right now!

Jun 24, 2011 at 3:37 AM Post #2,770 of 5,554
And I'm happy for ya. :)

Hey how long did your refits typically take? My set's back in Colorado since a couple of days back and there's just no enjoying music when they're gone. :frowning2:

biggrin.gif

Cheerfully and optimistically a stubboirn ludite. 
evil_smiley.gif

deadhorse.gif

I dunno. But I really do love my new headphone cable.  :)

Jun 24, 2011 at 3:39 AM Post #2,771 of 5,554
Anaxilus, the R&J Short Churchill is my anchor cigar. I smoke more of them than anything else. Hoyo de Monterey Epicure #2 is no slouch either. Inhale? I would certainly hope not.
eek.gif
 Cigars are mouth candy. :)

Interesting that you are also a Talisker fan. That was all I drank for many years (the 10 year old). Not so much anymore but I do have a bottle of 25 year old that I am holding in reserve. It's the second bottle of it that I got from an industry friend at a deep discount. I'm saving it as I will probably not see it again soon.

Drinks with the ES5.... 

My habit while listeneing to the ES% is to smoke a cigar and drink a Latte - either hot or iced depending on the weather. The pic above is my ES5 afternoon pleasure scenario. 

In the evenings, I am a whisky drinker. Mostly Siingle Malts but also bourbon. Clynelish 14 is great with the ES5 - not too expensive and absolutely delicious. It depends upon what I have around though.

Jun 24, 2011 at 3:42 AM Post #2,772 of 5,554
Quote:
Hey how long did your refits typically take? My set's back in Colorado since a couple of days back and there's just no enjoying music when they're gone.
frown.gif

First time was just three weeks. Second time was a month. However that was HK to HK (makes the process slower) but also early on before the ES5 got so popular (probably made the process faster).

The waiting is frustrating...

Jun 24, 2011 at 4:15 AM Post #2,773 of 5,554
I enjoy every moment of ES5 / UE18 Pro on the MTR. You watch the hustles and bustles around you while you are enjoying music at its best. Given the portable limitations, certainly the customs can't compare to my Esoteric K-01 -> SR009 combo, but being able to enjoy music at such a level while you are traveling is something unimaginable say 10 years ago. I don't take public transport very often now but still would hop on an MTR just to get that cool feeling while listening to the ES5 / UE18 Pro.

Jun 24, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #2,775 of 5,554
OH SO TRUE~~

Similar to walking around the streets in Mong Kwok during rush hours on a friday night!
Its wonderful

Quote:
I enjoy every moment of ES5 / UE18 Pro on the MTR. You watch the hustles and bustles around you while you are enjoying music at its best. Given the portable limitations, certainly the customs can't compare to my Esoteric K-01 -> SR009 combo, but being able to enjoy music at such a level while you are traveling is something unimaginable say 10 years ago. I don't take public transport very often now but still would hop on an MTR just to get that cool feeling while listening to the ES5 / UE18 Pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back