Westone ES5
Jun 18, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #2,701 of 5,554
I get what you're saying, but how do you make impressions without experiencing pressure? I definitely felt tons of pressure IN my ears the first time and none in my outer ear. Of course these monitors are pretty tight in my ear canals (but they don't hurt inside), and only the left side is killing my outer ear. It's the little ridge that has the serial number on it, I believe thats the part of the monitor that rests in the little fold above the "dish" of the outer ear and basically helps keep the monitor in place. Not sure how an impression that didn't hurt in the place translated to being so bad with the monitor.

Also, if my right side really doesn't hurt.. should I bother getting impressions made of both sides? Am I asking for trouble by doing both again instead of just the left? I'm hoping if I get them both ton meticulously that hopefully both sides will come out perfect this time around, even though I really don't have an issue with the right.

Jun 18, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #2,702 of 5,554

Quote:
I get what you're saying, but how do you make impressions without experiencing pressure? I definitely felt tons of pressure IN my ears the first time and none in my outer ear. Of course these monitors are pretty tight in my ear canals (but they don't hurt inside), and only the left side is killing my outer ear. It's the little ridge that has the serial number on it, I believe thats the part of the monitor that rests in the little fold above the "dish" of the outer ear and basically helps keep the monitor in place. Not sure how an impression that didn't hurt in the place translated to being so bad with the monitor.

Also, if my right side really doesn't hurt.. should I bother getting impressions made of both sides? Am I asking for trouble by doing both again instead of just the left? I'm hoping if I get them both ton meticulously that hopefully both sides will come out perfect this time around, even though I really don't have an issue with the right.

If you have perfect fit on one side, don't mess with it!  My right side had a little pressure on the outer ear just like yours.  It mirrored my impressions.  After a week the pressure went away.  either the ear got used to it or the vinyl tips helped w/ adjustment as they broke in.  I just needed to rotate it a bit more at first.  Not sure how yours is.

My UE impressions in Vegas felt like I had nothing in my ears which actually concerned me.

Jun 18, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #2,703 of 5,554

Quote:
Quote:
It's not necessary to get decent sound out of the speakers, but to get sound of it's full potential, a high quality AMP needs to be involved as well as a DAC too.

I'm only replying since you directed your post at me. Are you atleast going to argue why? Until you can provide evidence to substantiate your claims I'm gonna call BS on you too. No offense.

The evidence that I can use to support my claim is by saying how much better my ES5's sound out of my HM-801 in comparison to my iPod or Sansa Fuze.

Jun 19, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #2,704 of 5,554
Quote:

The evidence that I can use to support my claim is by saying how much better my ES5's sound out of my HM-801 in comparison to my iPod or Sansa Fuze.

I would never question that it works well for you, your opinion is your own. However, it's the same as saying the ES5 needs EQ to realize it's full potential, and I'm sure you wouldn't agree as easily with that.

Jun 19, 2011 at 6:48 AM Post #2,705 of 5,554

Quote:
On the topic of copper, I just got notice that my TWcu cable has arrived in Shanghai. Unfortunately I am on the road but I should have it next Monday. I am most curious to hear how it works out...!

Hmmm,
On the topic of aftermarket cables...
Is your TWcu cable from Whiplash?
I am just trying to decide which aftermarket cable to go with.

I have been in Hong Kong for a little over a week.
Went to a few audio shops in MK area and auditioned aftermarket cables with my ES5.
At first I was skeptical about SQ improvements/adjustments but I think I have been proven wrong:

1) ALO SXC 24awg
- clearer, larger range of sound
- the highs and mids improved slightly but enough for me to notice
- cable is very flexible, usable, and portable

2) ALO Cu OCC 22awg
- fuller sound
- bass was more controlled and much fuller
- cable not flexible, had issues securing it behind my ear
(really liked the sound signature though, wish I could make the cable stay put behind my ear)

3) Mingo aftermarket cables
- for some reason I did not notice much difference at all with these cables

***Auditioned with Cowon J3 and LD I+

I really wish I could audition Whiplash Audio TWag V2 and TWCu before I make a decision though.
And now there is the black cotton TWCu too! Making decisions even harder.
Anyone in Hong Kong have these cables willing to meet up?
Or are there any upcoming Head-fi meets?

A friend also told me some stores in HK can custom make a cable for you from ALO wiring using other aftermarket connectors.
I was wondering if anyone here knew which stores specifically could do that for me.
This reduce the cost and provide the same change in sound signature.

Any input suggestions would be great!
Thanks!

Jun 19, 2011 at 8:03 AM Post #2,706 of 5,554
lootbag, greetings from HK. I'm heading back to Shanghai tomorrow and will pick up my cable at my office. Very excited. I will post pictures. The cable is from Twisted Cables (qusp is his name on here).

I saw the 2 ALO cables that you refer to at Kingsound Audio (and also Mingos which I visited briefly; I far prefer Kingsound as a place to relax and test equipment). However I did not listen to them. I was too busy auditioning universal IEMs. (I posted some thoughts above.)

The TWcu should be more flexible than the thick ALO cable. It's 24.5 gauge. The pics that qusp sent me of my finished cable look very cool. I'll let you know what I think.

Jun 19, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #2,707 of 5,554
Quote:
The TWcu should be more flexible than the thick ALO cable. It's 24.5 gauge. The pics that qusp sent me of my finished cable look very cool. I'll let you know what I think.

Cool.

I have Twag V1/V2 and Twspc. Here comes the impression of the last cable that I had wanted to try =)

Jun 19, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #2,708 of 5,554

Quote:

Thanks for the quick response.
24.5 gauge sounds interesting, this might be what I am looking for.
Please do let us know what your thoughts are on the cable.
I sent an email to qusp [at] optusnet [dot] com.au which hopefully is the correct email to inquire about cables.

Jun 19, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #2,709 of 5,554
While they are not cables you can try in HK right now, Double Helix is releasing a new JH/UE/Westone IEM Copper cable very soon. I am one of 4 testers and should be getting my sample tomorrow. They will be 24AWG, "Nucleotide" stranded 7N OCC copper. Peter says it'll be a very clear and neutral cable. As I don't really want a cable to color my ES5's, I am hoping his description is accurate. I'll post my impressions after a good burn-in, but pics will come immediately. I'll have the factory cable both lengths, a 22AWG UPOCC Silver cable made by Chris_Himself and the Copper DHC's to test.

Jun 19, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #2,711 of 5,554
It's amazing how coherent, smooth and clear the ES5's sound. I never thought a sound signature could incorporate those 3 traits seamlessly.

Which is exactly why I don't want my cables to artificially change that. I want my cables, interconnects and amp to be a transparent as possible. Let me EQ if I want to color specific freq ranges.

Question......Does anyone listen to their ES5's through balanced cables into a balanced DAC and Amp? If so, how does that compare to single-ended? TIA

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #2,712 of 5,554

Quote:
Quote:
It's amazing how coherent, smooth and clear the ES5's sound. I never thought a sound signature could incorporate those 3 traits seamlessly.

Which is exactly why I don't want my cables to artificially change that. I want my cables, interconnects and amp to be a transparent as possible. Let me EQ if I want to color specific freq ranges.

Question......Does anyone listen to their ES5's through balanced cables into a balanced DAC and Amp? If so, how does that compare to single-ended? TIA

I still use the stock cable and find no faults with it. I've heard the TWag cable before and got my refund after burning it in for 400 hours and not hearing any improvement worth $200 over the stock cable.

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #2,713 of 5,554
I totally agree with your opinion on the Mingo Aftermarket Cables.

I live in Hong Kong myself and I've auditioned numerous aftermarket cables in Mingo, Jaben, Kingsound and FS Digital.
All in all they sell really random/dodgy looking cables that are charged anywhere between 500HKD to 1400HKD (65 -180 USD) With absolutely no difference towards the sound quality of the IEM. In fact some of them actually makes the ES5 sound muddy and loses its clarity.

I definitely would advise people to not look at them and consider them. I consider them to personally be a scam product targeted at the less knowledgeable people that purchase Audio products of whom rely on the opinions of the staff within a shop. 

These are what the cables look like and they generally have the same shape and form with the only difference being in colors.
Mind you I've seen some really really colorful cables that definitely LOOK fantastic but sound the same if not worse than the stock Cables. (Not that I'm saying the Stock cables are bad)

Personally I only use my full rig at home and I use my Alo Copper Cable with my ES5s at home whilst I use the stock cables when I go out cause its simply lighter and more comfortable to use on the go :)

Quote:

Hmmm,
On the topic of aftermarket cables...
Is your TWcu cable from Whiplash?
I am just trying to decide which aftermarket cable to go with.

I have been in Hong Kong for a little over a week.
Went to a few audio shops in MK area and auditioned aftermarket cables with my ES5.
At first I was skeptical about SQ improvements/adjustments but I think I have been proven wrong:

1) ALO SXC 24awg
- clearer, larger range of sound
- the highs and mids improved slightly but enough for me to notice
- cable is very flexible, usable, and portable

2) ALO Cu OCC 22awg
- fuller sound
- bass was more controlled and much fuller
- cable not flexible, had issues securing it behind my ear
(really liked the sound signature though, wish I could make the cable stay put behind my ear)

3) Mingo aftermarket cables
- for some reason I did not notice much difference at all with these cables

***Auditioned with Cowon J3 and LD I+

I really wish I could audition Whiplash Audio TWag V2 and TWCu before I make a decision though.
And now there is the black cotton TWCu too! Making decisions even harder.
Anyone in Hong Kong have these cables willing to meet up?
Or are there any upcoming Head-fi meets?

A friend also told me some stores in HK can custom make a cable for you from ALO wiring using other aftermarket connectors.
I was wondering if anyone here knew which stores specifically could do that for me.
This reduce the cost and provide the same change in sound signature.

Any input suggestions would be great!
Thanks!

Jun 20, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #2,714 of 5,554
TWcu is in the house. Too early to comment. Okay I'm really rather happy but that's it. 
smile.gif

Teaser pic titled "How I learned to fit my ES5 + TWcu into an Otterbox 1000" 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back