Westone ES5
Jun 14, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #2,641 of 5,554
I should have had my re-makes back already. Hopefully the extra time they are taking is so that I don't have to send hem back for a 3rd time. Still, getting some 22AWG UPOCC Silver cables and interconnects in the mail last week and no way to test the cables out is making the wait even more painful! Chris_Himself did an OUTSTANDING job on the cables and interconnects. Only the ES5's are missing from this, otherwise MOST excellent portable setup of the Nano/Pico Slim/ES5 trifecta.

Jun 15, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #2,642 of 5,554

That looks awesome bro!
Quote:
I should have had my re-makes back already. Hopefully the extra time they are taking is so that I don't have to send hem back for a 3rd time. Still, getting some 22AWG UPOCC Silver cables and interconnects in the mail last week and no way to test the cables out is making the wait even more painful! Chris_Himself did an OUTSTANDING job on the cables and interconnects. Only the ES5's are missing from this, otherwise MOST excellent portable setup of the Nano/Pico Slim/ES5 trifecta.

Jun 15, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #2,643 of 5,554
On the moment I am using an iPod Classic 160Gb, however it annoys me tremendously that the EQ rolls-over. Does anyone know whether Apple has solved this issue with the newer iPod models or de new iPhone 4? On the moment I am using my iPod without an amp or a DAC and the music sounds rather flat using it with the EQ turned off while I would like to listen to music with a bit more color. Does anyone has a solution to solve this problem, or maybe a solution whereby I am no longer in need of the EQ?

Jun 15, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #2,644 of 5,554

Quote:
On the moment I am using an iPod Classic 160Gb, however it annoys me tremendously that the EQ rolls-over. Does anyone know whether Apple has solved this issue with the newer iPod models or de new iPhone 4? On the moment I am using my iPod without an amp or a DAC and the music sounds rather flat using it with the EQ turned off while I would like to listen to music with a bit more color. Does anyone has a solution to solve this problem, or maybe a solution whereby I am no longer in need of the EQ?

I don't think you'll like the impedance curve of the iPod Classic on a multi BA like the ES5 w/ low impedance.

http://www.markuskraus.com/RMAA/classic/data.htm

A cheap, easy solution would be a digizoid ZO.  That'll fix your impedance curve, give you an amp and let you mess around w/ adding 'excitement' if you wish.  You can also bypass the ZO but maintain it's output impedance.  I don't go past level one and would not exceed level two, ever.  The jury is still our for me about whether I feel 100% about the device but it meets your needs.  It has no volume control but that wouldn't apply to you, the V.2 will.

Jun 15, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #2,648 of 5,554

Dear,

To be honest I found the music straight out of my iPod Classic 160Gb using WAV rather flat/ thin sounding. Because I am used to music with a bit more warmth and thus bass. I have tried to achieve this by turning on the EQ, however that means that there's a lot of distortion with the Classic which is of course not very pleasant either. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying I don't like the sound signature of the ES5 it's just that I believe the iPod Classic loses a lot of low tones.
Quote:

Jun 15, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #2,649 of 5,554

Quote:
Dear,

To be honest I found the music straight out of my iPod Classic 160Gb using WAV rather flat/ thin sounding. Because I am used to music with a bit more warmth and thus bass. I have tried to achieve this by turning on the EQ, however that means that there's a lot of distortion with the Classic which is of course not very pleasant either. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying I don't like the sound signature of the ES5 it's just that I believe the iPod Classic loses a lot of low tones.

Like I said, add something in between like the ZO or an amp, ditch the Apple EQ, fix the impedance curve.  

Jun 15, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #2,650 of 5,554
Quote:
Dear,

Actually a lot of modern recordings, even if they are wav/lossless, sound rather 'thin' and compressed. They need either the EQ, amp or the iem to 'color' the sound to make them sound good.

If you have a chance to get HD recordings (at 16bits/44.1khz) onto your ipod, you will be able to hear the difference. I never ever touch the EQ on my ipod actually even if I use the headphone jack.

Jun 15, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #2,651 of 5,554

Quote:
Like I said, add something in between like the ZO or an amp, ditch the Apple EQ, fix the impedance curve.  

In short; in order to benefit from the sound quality the ES5 is capable of, I need to equip my iPod with either an amp and maybe a DAC. If I understand it correctly, this will solve the tinny sound and makes the bass more noticable. Thus will create a fuller sound??

Quote:
Actually a lot of modern recordings, even if they are wav/lossless, sound rather 'thin' and compressed. They need either the EQ, amp or the iem to 'color' the sound to make them sound good.

If you have a chance to get HD recordings (at 16bits/44.1khz) onto your ipod, you will be able to hear the difference. I never ever touch the EQ on my ipod actually even if I use the headphone jack.

Where can I buy/ download HD recordings? Besides, is it possible to tranfer your library from WAV to HD recordings??

Jun 15, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #2,652 of 5,554

Quote:
In short; in order to benefit from the sound quality the ES5 is capable of, I need to equip my iPod with either an amp and maybe a DAC. If I understand it correctly, this will solve the tinny sound and makes the bass more noticable. Thus will create a fuller sound??

That prior link I posted shows you the iPod classic has an output impedance that disturbs the impedance curve of multi BA phones and their crossovers.  You want an amp or another DAP that has <1 ohm output impedance so the ES5 can perform optimally and produce it's intended sound.  Otherwise the drivers may not provide the designed FR curve as the graph shows happens w/ the TF10.  

You don't necessarily need another DAC or DAP or amp.  Since you like using EQ as part of your routine I recommended the digizoid ZO.  It will do two main things for you:

1-Gives you the ability to make use of it's processing to enhance the sound of your music to your liking by increasing fullness, bass, body and perceived detail.

2-It's output impedance is <1 ohm which will allow the ES5 to sound like it was intended to whether you use the ZO processing or choose to bypass it is irrelevant.  You now no longer have to worry about the output impedance of the iPod classic messing up your FR as long as it is connected to the iPod and your headphones are plugged into the ZO.

This is the cheapest and easiest solution for your problem and if you are satisfied you can try adding a line out adapter later though you will need volume control if you do.  

If you really want to maximize your ES5 and keep using Apple products then get a Fostex HP-P1 or CLAS and an amp like the UHA-6.  I don't know if the classic is compatible w/ those as I'm not an Apple person.  You can always just get an iPhone 4 too and call it a day.  

For someone that likes to tweak and from what you say you want to tweak I would just save some bucks and get the ZO.

Hope that makes sense....
blink.gif

Jun 15, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #2,653 of 5,554
Quote:
Where can I buy/ download HD recordings? Besides, is it possible to tranfer your library from WAV to HD recordings??

I will say that Anaxilus' suggestion of getting ZO is the cheapest getaround for you.

There are many places selling HDtracks but they may not be the type of songs you listen to. www.hdtracks.com is one.

You will just need to convert those files into either alac/wav/aiff with the correct format for use with ipod.

Anyway, you cannot 'transfer your library from wav to HD recordings'. I don't quite get what you mean here.

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:53 AM Post #2,654 of 5,554
Get the CLAS for your Ipods or Iphones. <<<not much of a fan-boy here :p>>>

IMO if you are very serious going for Hi-Fi with your Ipod/Iphone and have a custom ES5 or any custom iem with you, it's better if you have DAC or an amp around that synergizes well with them. And one recommendation for DAC is the Cypher Labs Algorythym Solo and a proper pairing amp like PICO Slim, RX MK2 or etc.. Try to audition it first, if it is too much on your budget then get a cheaper version like the Fostex (DAC + AMP). Though I never heard the Fostex HP-P1 so I cannot comment on them.

But Compared to other DAPs like the Cowon J3, since it does not synergize well with some amps (though the BBE EQ is amazing!), it's a leap forward in terms of SQ and you can create a lot of possible setups for your IDevices. Technology for IDevices nowadays are wonderful, as with the coming of ICloud Service. I hope Apple will not mess up these services.

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #2,655 of 5,554

Quote:
Get the CLAS for your Ipods or Iphones. <<<not much of a fan-boy here :p>>>

IMO if you are very serious going for Hi-Fi with your Ipod/Iphone and have a custom ES5 or any custom iem with you, it's better if you have DAC or an amp around that synergizes well with them. And one recommendation for DAC is the Cypher Labs Algorythym Solo and a proper pairing amp like PICO Slim, RX MK2 or etc.. Try to audition it first, if it is too much on your budget then get a cheaper version like the Fostex (DAC + AMP). Though I never heard the Fostex HP-P1 so I cannot comment on them.

Provided that money is not an issue =)

Anyway kingice10, any chance that I could audition CLAS from you? =D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back