Westone ES5
Jun 10, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #2,552 of 5,554
AHHH, the fun never ends with me and my ES5's.

I noticed when I'm listening to music, all types of music, I'm getting distortion in my right ear than my left.  It happens with all types of music and I am not cranking them up.

Maybe there is something wrong with the crossover?

Maybe Westone had a bad batch?

Any suggestions?

Jun 10, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #2,553 of 5,554

Quote:

I noticed when I'm listening to music, all types of music, I'm getting distortion in my right ear than my left.  It happens with all types of music and I am not cranking them up.

Any suggestions?

Eeeek!  No idea.  Have you tried another source to verify?  Almost sounds like the jack....?  Crossover doesn't affect both ears unless both are going bad at the same time.  The mathematical odds of that are low me thinks.

Jun 10, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #2,554 of 5,554
Baby wipes work great but leave your earphones smelling like a baby's butt. About your problem... Get on the phone with Westone right away, I'm sure they'll know what to do and handle it promptly.

My ES5s have been away for two days now and it's pretty much unbearable already.

Jun 10, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #2,556 of 5,554

Hey Spazz,

This happens to me when I turn on the EQ on my iPod Classic, there is this distortion. However, if I turn it off there is nothig wrong and besides, it only happens with my iPod.

Quote:

Any suggestions?

Jun 10, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #2,557 of 5,554
Quote:
I'm going to try a different source to see if that is the problem.  I already sent an email to my possible problem and waiting to hear back from them.  

Agree with the rest, you can try some things on your own before getting overly concerned. =)

Jun 11, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #2,561 of 5,554
ArrigoShred, congratulations!!! Try Eason Chan and Joey Yung with the ES5, they are excellent!
etysmile.gif

Seriously, try to get yourself Jane Zhang's album "Believe in Jane". I have become a fan of hers just by listening to this album once on my ES5. Now I listen to this album daily. The first two tracks may not appeal to you too much but track 3 onwards it is simply amazing. Some may still doubt how good her voice is. Suffice to say that she replaced Celine Dion to sing with Andrea Bocceli for the Beijing Olympics theme song.

Jun 11, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #2,563 of 5,554

I'll write a quick first impressions for you! LOL

First let me apologize for my lack of knowledge in terms of audiophile terminology :)

Out of the box I first plugged it into my iPod Classic without my CypherLabs Solo or ALO RX Mk2 cause I dont bring that out for short runs :p

The first song I listened to was 'Slow Dancing In a Burning Room' by John Mayer from the album 'Where The Light Is' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn0NLQI-l08
The second song I listened to was 'Daughters' also by John Mayer from the album 'Heavier Things'
I tend to use John Mayer songs as a first impression for any audio products I buy :p

My first impressions are that the ES5s are truly a wonderful pair of IEMs for both Live albums and Studio albums, with accurate representations of the pieces.

The ES5s with the trademark Westone Magical Mids really bring out John Mayers voice really nicely and its smooth yet clear to listen to. The bass of the ES5 is definitely beautiful, even though its only 1 driver, after trying the ES5 and comparing it to UE18 and JH 16 demos I've come to realize that the number of drivers aren't really that important. The bass of the ES5 is full and rich, its something I would describe to have 'atmospheric' bass, whilst the bass is still powerful and dynamic theres a slight tinge of subtleness of which it gives the feeling that your infront of the guitar players amp and u can feel the soundwaves when the guitar is played.
In terms of the highs, it is absolutely gorgeous, the cymbals fade away very very smoothly and it sounds excellent.
Soundstage wise, the ES5 really surprised me for an IEM, its pretty big and the way the sounds wade sounds really authentic and feels like your in the center of the music.

Overall I would say the ES5 Unamped and just straight out of an iPod 3.5mm jack is superior to the Um3x with iPod Classic -> Solo -> RX Mk2 

I have yet to try my ES5s with my full rig but I'll be doing that in a few days, after i'm done with my school work cause IB's a bitch at the end of year 12 :p

Quote:
Congrats! What are your first impressions?

Jun 11, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #2,564 of 5,554
But I suspect Arrigo doesn't speak Chinese
tongue_smile.gif

Correct me if I am wrong.

Quote:
ArrigoShred, congratulations!!! Try Eason Chan and Joey Yung with the ES5, they are excellent!
etysmile.gif

Seriously, try to get yourself Jane Zhang's album "Believe in Jane". I have become a fan of hers just by listening to this album once on my ES5. Now I listen to this album daily. The first two tracks may not appeal to you too much but track 3 onwards it is simply amazing. Some may still doubt how good her voice is. Suffice to say that she replaced Celine Dion to sing with Andrea Bocceli for the Beijing Olympics theme song.

Jun 11, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #2,565 of 5,554
Glad you like it and good luck with your exams or whatever.
Can't wait to order mine soon!!

Quote:

I'll write a quick first impressions for you! LOL

First let me apologize for my lack of knowledge in terms of audiophile terminology :)

Out of the box I first plugged it into my iPod Classic without my CypherLabs Solo or ALO RX Mk2 cause I dont bring that out for short runs :p

The first song I listened to was 'Slow Dancing In a Burning Room' by John Mayer from the album 'Where The Light Is' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn0NLQI-l08
The second song I listened to was 'Daughters' also by John Mayer from the album 'Heavier Things'
I tend to use John Mayer songs as a first impression for any audio products I buy :p

My first impressions are that the ES5s are truly a wonderful pair of IEMs for both Live albums and Studio albums, with accurate representations of the pieces.

The ES5s with the trademark Westone Magical Mids really bring out John Mayers voice really nicely and its smooth yet clear to listen to. The bass of the ES5 is definitely beautiful, even though its only 1 driver, after trying the ES5 and comparing it to UE18 and JH 16 demos I've come to realize that the number of drivers aren't really that important. The bass of the ES5 is full and rich, its something I would describe to have 'atmospheric' bass, whilst the bass is still powerful and dynamic theres a slight tinge of subtleness of which it gives the feeling that your infront of the guitar players amp and u can feel the soundwaves when the guitar is played.
In terms of the highs, it is absolutely gorgeous, the cymbals fade away very very smoothly and it sounds excellent.
Soundstage wise, the ES5 really surprised me for an IEM, its pretty big and the way the sounds wade sounds really authentic and feels like your in the center of the music.

Overall I would say the ES5 Unamped and just straight out of an iPod 3.5mm jack is superior to the Um3x with iPod Classic -> Solo -> RX Mk2 

I have yet to try my ES5s with my full rig but I'll be doing that in a few days, after i'm done with my school work cause IB's a bitch at the end of year 12 :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back