Westone ES5
Apr 17, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #1,726 of 5,554

Originally Posted by tman87 

Hi, I'm new and just ordered some ES5 IEM for live monitoring-guitar and vocals. I'm reading all this info on DACport etc. 

2. My question is, does it help to go far past the 2nd bend, or is just going past the 2nd bend the important part. 

I'm not sure how far past the 2nd bend your molds can go.  Deep impressions are always good, but as long as you're past the 2nd bend, I wouldn't worry about how much further it could have been.

3. Does westone typically cut off a substantial portion of the end of the impression area to make the opening neat or just a little? 

I know they cut off some part of the end of the mold, but I'm not sure how much.

4. Lastly, what should I expect? 

My only experience is with Shure SE425 IEM, and I got a really good seal with the large foam sleeves. But the occlusion effect was out of control. Otherwise I really enjoyed them for live monitoring. Then I tried the triple flange silicon sleeves (about 2 cm long), and inserted them as deeply as possible, and the occlusion effect was barely there, but they were uncomfortable, especially in my right ear, so I decided what the hell, lets go big or go home. 

I believe that the ES5's occlusion effects are much less than those of an all-acrylic custom, and less than I remember getting from the best-isolating universal tips (triple flanges).  It'll never go away entirely, but I think you'll be pleased that the occlusion and bone conduction noises are at least tolerable.

5. Should I expect the same quality of seal that I got with the triple flange? 

IME, triple flange tips are probably the best-isolating tips of any kind.  ES5's hybrid tips isolate better than all-acrylic tips, but I don't think they're quite on the level of triple flanges or Complys.  The isolation is more than adequate for me though, and I have a very noisy commute every day.

6. Should long ear canal customs go as deep as the triple flange sleeves?

Your customs probably won't be as long as triple flanges, although the length of the tip seems to vary depending on the designer/manufacturer.  I was told by a rep from a custom maker that the designer tailors the length of the tip according to the overall shape of your ear canal.

Thanks ahead for answers to any of my questions!

Thanks! Triple flange are kind of crazy long, but they seem to get the job done pretty well. I definitely looking forward to the custom phones, I just want to make sure I get the best fit before the 3 months runs out. I've heard that remolding done by Westone is like half the cost of the original IEM after the 3 months! I hope that bite block was big enough!

Apr 17, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #1,728 of 5,554
I've had my ES5's for a couple of weeks so far and I'm totally digging the sound and fit. I purchased them primarily for use as stage monitors (I am a bass player) but I am sure that I'll also be using them to track and mix in the studio.....I regret not having them at the beginning of my current projects. Heck, I wish I got them before I got tinnitus!

I've used IEM's since the mid-90's....Shure E1's with custom molds for 13 years until the left side pooped out, and M-Audio IE30 (~UE Super.Fi 5 pro) since then. I LOVED the Shures and hated the IE30's.  I am most thankful that my investment into the IE30's was only $10 in silent auction tickets.

I am also thankful that the fit of the ES5 is good....I can wear them for hours without soreness or fatigue.

One concern I have is that the balance seems off.  When listening to a mono source, instead of hearing it at 12 o'clock it's more like at 1:00.  I can't blame the tinnitus, as other headphones (IE30 and MDR7506) do not have the same skew.  What factors might influence this?....crossover settings? length of the silicone mold? tuning of the drivers?

This discussion group has been most helpful, informative and entertaining. Thanks to everyone for their input and participation.

Jim

Apr 17, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #1,729 of 5,554
Quote:
One concern I have is that the balance seems off.  When listening to a mono source, instead of hearing it at 12 o'clock it's more like at 1:00.  I can't blame the tinnitus, as other headphones (IE30 and MDR7506) do not have the same skew.  What factors might influence this?....crossover settings? length of the silicone mold? tuning of the drivers?

Welcome MisterBassie, and sorry about your wallet.  I have also had the channel skewing problem on both of my customs, and I'm not sure whether it's a fit issue or an imbalance in the output of the drivers.  Does your left side seem like it is angled properly and isolates to the same degree as your right?  I think one or two other people have noticed certain channel imbalance issues--I don't want to speak for them, but it seems that Westone took care of them.

I'm probably going to send mine back for an adjustment, since the right side just sounds more distant than the left.  Like you, I experience the center of the music to be skewed from where it should be, in my case it's like 10 or 11 o'clock.  I'm hoping it's a fit issue that can be fixed by re-angling the tip or widening the end for better isolation, but I'll also ask them to verify that the left and right tips are outputting equally.  Let us know how it goes...

Apr 18, 2011 at 3:04 AM Post #1,730 of 5,554
I'm told by Westone that they do rigorous testing on each custom before packaging and shipping. It shouldn't be an output issue but rather an effect of having two ear canals that aren't identical to eachother. It has to be nearly impossible to foresee such an issue before the client has the final product on hand. Definitely good advice for all buyers to look for this aswell as fit issues, and get it corrected, within the free refit timeframe.

@MisterBassie: I guess you've been using IEMs on stage basically since they were introduced to that market. It's a shame that in your case they were too late. I'm not in a position where I tour regularily, but using floor wedge speakers, even for just one night, leaves my ears ringing for almost two days. I still have friends who prefer floor speakers 'cause it just "feels right", I not only appreciate protecting my hearing, but the extra transparancy and detail provided by IEMs appeal to the perfectionist in me aswell.

Might I ask what genre of music you represent?
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2011 at 5:46 AM Post #1,731 of 5,554
Quote:
Just the SR71b.  I used the Protector beforehand.  For more compact use, the HM-801's GAME amp is good for IEMs (but could use even lower gain) and the standard amp is good for my Ed. 8.

tman, please see my answers below in red:

IME, triple flange tips are probably the best-isolating tips of any kind. ES5's hybrid tips isolate better than all-acrylic tips, but I don't think they're quite on the level of triple flanges or Complys. The isolation is more than adequate for me though, and I have a very noisy commute every day.

I understand that the Etymotic triple flanges are in a class of one for isolation. I don't agree though that the ES5 don't isolate as well as Complys. My first ES5 fitting didn't. However my final impressions were done tight and now my ES5 definitely isolates better than Complys (which I used extensively with the Tripl-Fis - the large size).

It all depends on the ear impressions. There are a lot of people in Hong Kong with Westone monitors that don't isolate well. (If you are in HK, stay away from Hearing Tune. Nice lady; lousy ear impressionist. Of course, this is IMHO but apparently others have had the same experience.)

Apr 18, 2011 at 5:48 AM Post #1,732 of 5,554
@MisterBassie, b0ck3n, tman87: nice to know that there are fellow musicians using the ES5 in this forum. I'm using an ES3X for 1 year already and really satisfied with it. I needed couple of shows to get use to it especially when I need to communicate with my band. Its a bit annoying to shout at someone and be ignored. Needed a tap on the shoulder..

Apr 18, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #1,733 of 5,554
Yeah I know what you mean. I've been using the Shure's since November, I definitely am used to the isolation but I use a condenser mic so it picks up more ambient noise and I can usually hear people if they are relatively close. For me the occlusion effect was the annoying part, which I solved with the triple flange, but they just hurt too much to wear as much as I play.

Quote:
@MisterBassie, b0ck3n, tman87: nice to know that there are fellow musicians using the ES5 in this forum. I'm using an ES3X for 1 year already and really satisfied with it. I needed couple of shows to get use to it especially when I need to communicate with my band. Its a bit annoying to shout at someone and be ignored. Needed a tap on the shoulder..

Apr 18, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #1,734 of 5,554

Quote:
I'm told by Westone that they do rigorous testing on each custom before packaging and shipping. It shouldn't be an output issue but rather an effect of having two ear canals that aren't identical to eachother. It has to be nearly impossible to foresee such an issue before the client has the final product on hand. Definitely good advice for all buyers to look for this aswell as fit issues, and get it corrected, within the free refit timeframe.

@MisterBassie: I guess you've been using IEMs on stage basically since they were introduced to that market. It's a shame that in your case they were too late. I'm not in a position where I tour regularily, but using floor wedge speakers, even for just one night, leaves my ears ringing for almost two days. I still have friends who prefer floor speakers 'cause it just "feels right", I not only appreciate protecting my hearing, but the extra transparancy and detail provided by IEMs appeal to the perfectionist in me aswell.

Might I ask what genre of music you represent?
smily_headphones1.gif

I've been playing Reggae for a looooong time.  Also enjoy bluegrass, pscho-klezmer, cajun and world-beat

Apr 18, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #1,735 of 5,554
Does anyone of you know how could I get those Titanuium/ Carbon Fibre faceplate like the ones on JH audio's IEM on Westone ES5 ?  Apparently, westone don't have it in their list. Thanks !                      It would also be great if someone would post their westone ES5 pictures :D

Apr 18, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #1,736 of 5,554

Quote:
I understand that the Etymotic triple flanges are in a class of one for isolation. I don't agree though that the ES5 don't isolate as well as Complys. My first ES5 fitting didn't. However my final impressions were done tight and now my ES5 definitely isolates better than Complys (which I used extensively with the Tripl-Fis - the large size).

It all depends on the ear impressions. There are a lot of people in Hong Kong with Westone monitors that don't isolate well. (If you are in HK, stay away from Hearing Tune. Nice lady; lousy ear impressionist. Of course, this is IMHO but apparently others have had the same experience.)

Agreed.  It's all about fit.  The Vinyl canal tip is basically an infinite flange design so comparisons to triples or comply's don't really make sense from a design standpoint.  At its best I've gotten Ety's to be close to my ES5 for isolation but never better.  I also doubt their claimed -44dB w/ foam tips unless it's a specific freq range like the high end perhaps.  If you want to maximize your isolation, tell your audiologist during the mold process.  

Apr 18, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #1,738 of 5,554

Quote:
They are your own custom artwork. You can send in your own to them for processing.

The titanium and CF are actually the materials used for the faceplate like Westone does the seashell material.  It's not artwork.

Already linked my pics like many others but since you don't want to look for them and neither do I, here it is again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back