Westone ES5
Mar 3, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #1,186 of 5,554
hmmm...at first i was adamant on gettings the jh16's..... then i was worried about the bass being too much....so i thought about the jh13's.  Now im all sorts of confused on what to get between the es5, jh13 and jh16.  I current have a remolded um3'x done by fisher and i love them but really want a top tier custom.  My rigs are a 5.5g ipod>twag micro elite>alo rx (supposed to have great synergy with the jh13).... sansa clip+>twag with rhodium right angle IC>rsa shadow and a fuze>diy silver wired IC>ibasso t3.  I was wondering if anyone can compare the bass of each 3 to the bass of the UM3X... asi find them to have good fast, tight bass.  im leaning toward the jh13 because it seems to be the mid-ground between the es5 and jh16.  

Mar 3, 2011 at 3:20 AM Post #1,188 of 5,554

Can't really compare the two. You certainly can't take a 7.1 system with you on a flight, can you?? Also, a home theatre is as much about the visuals as the sound. Comparing two channel to two channel? Still different beasts. Listening over speakers has a visceral impact headphones can't achieve. Yet the converse is also true. I prefer having ALL choices available. :) But as for resolution, speed of attack, transparency, etc? I'd put the ES5s up there with any 2ch system I've ever heard. Ever. When I can plainly hear MP3 compression artifacting WAYYYY down under the music? When I can hear edits, punches, etc going on in the mix? That's huge. And I love it! 

Mind you, I'm saying this as a HT owner with B&W 802D mains, HTM-2D centre, DS8S sides and rears, JL F113 sub, Velodyne DD-18 (yes I use 'em both, room lock and shudder are a major part of my vocab), a 144" 2.35:1 screen, Planar PD-8150 FPJ and Panamorph UH-480 lens. 
Quote:
For 2-channel music I think the current top end customs cut it really close to mid-high end speakers. However in multi-channel Bluray viewing and game playing, I think earphones / headphones can hardly replace a good 7.1 home theatre system with a nice subwoofer (like my SVS PC13 Ultra).

Mar 3, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #1,189 of 5,554

Quote:
Thanks for your insight on the ES5. I was wondering if you could go into detail on the soundstage of the ES5 (precision, width, does it sound "real" or "artificial"), and do a slight comparison to the EarSonics SM3. Thank you.

Will do this weekend. The SM3s have seen NO activity since the ES5s got here (indeed, no other headphone has). So I need to re-familiarize and get used to their sound again. 

Mar 3, 2011 at 6:14 AM Post #1,191 of 5,554

Quote:
hmmm...at first i was adamant on gettings the jh16's..... then i was worried about the bass being too much....so i thought about the jh13's.  Now im all sorts of confused on what to get between the es5, jh13 and jh16.  I current have a remolded um3'x done by fisher and i love them but really want a top tier custom.  My rigs are a 5.5g ipod>twag micro elite>alo rx (supposed to have great synergy with the jh13).... sansa clip+>twag with rhodium right angle IC>rsa shadow and a fuze>diy silver wired IC>ibasso t3.  I was wondering if anyone can compare the bass of each 3 to the bass of the UM3X... asi find them to have good fast, tight bass.  im leaning toward the jh13 because it seems to be the mid-ground between the es5 and jh16.  

Again, see http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/542078/first-custom-westone-es5-or-jh16-pro/15#post_7315052

Mar 4, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #1,194 of 5,554

Quote:
ES50320 has landed.  

Unlike other BA IEM, I found my ES5 needed about 24 hours of burn-in to smooth out.  Just in case...

Mar 4, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #1,195 of 5,554

Quote:
Unlike other BA IEM, I found my ES5 needed about 24 hours of burn-in to smooth out.  Just in case...

Oh, I agree so far.  I usually have to let BA's w/ crossovers get settled as I tend to be sensitive in that respect.  But the ES5 so far has been quite interesting in its progression so far.  This is one reason I haven't said anything yet.  The first 2-3 hours were quite a change.  I'll be sure to document it all in my review and comparison.  

Mar 4, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #1,196 of 5,554
Looking forward to your thoughts on them. The ES5 may be something I might get but that's a long time off still :p

Mar 4, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #1,198 of 5,554
Mar 5, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #1,200 of 5,554

Quote:
congrats anax! yeah, some pictures would be great. are you satisfied with how it came out?

I am!  I'll try to have some pics up by the end of the weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back