Westone ES5
Feb 16, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #1,021 of 5,554
The majority of all BA are from Knowles or Sonion. Some companies may order drivers to a certain spec so it would be a bit different than the driver that's sold individually on some websites.

Feb 16, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #1,022 of 5,554
Right, but as a customer it doesn't matter to me who made the drivers--it's Westone's responsibility to make sure that they are tuned properly and not prone to failure.  If there are common failure problems with a part that they outsource, then they need to work that out with the manufacturer or find another manufacturer.  I haven't heard of any similar driver failures with JH customs.

Feb 16, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #1,023 of 5,554
I haven't heard of a "common failure problem" with Westone.  There are hundreds of us not reporting issues, to the 3 or 4 who have.  And I'm not sure we know if it was the driver in all of them, or the wiring, and if it was the driver whether it was the same one.

Feb 17, 2011 at 4:56 AM Post #1,026 of 5,554
Quote:
True, but in comparison I don't remember reading one post complaining about a blown/damaged driver in a JH custom. Food for though.

What we have seen in the JH16 thread is people complaining of poor sound quality. Then they sent them back and a tube was shortened. The sound quality improved. So is everyone with the JH16 getting the same sound quality? Is it just the people with huge issues that are complaining? How would you know if your JH16 are optimal?

Now that is food for thought.

Feb 17, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #1,027 of 5,554
Quote:
Then they sent them back and a tube was shortened.

I also read the whole JH16 thread and know the posts you are referring to. However, the way I look at it issues with tube length is a fit issuse, and a very specific one at that. The quality and depth of the impression can and does have a big effect on how long each tube is. At least that's my understanding of it.

Having a driver blown is not related to fit, and is a blatant failure. Sure the cases might be isolated, but it is early days. We'll see. All I know is I'm not planning on buying any customs any time soon for numerous reasons.

Feb 17, 2011 at 6:30 AM Post #1,028 of 5,554
Hero Kid, fair enough on not jumping into customs. It's a big financial committment and it seems that there are other issues that concern you. Anyway I can't argue with the decision not to drop $1,000 on fragile and imperfect micro-technology. What I will say in their defence is that I have found no greater bang for the buck than my customs (ES5). I can lose the amp, I can use Lame VO MP3s - not lossless (however good quality MP3s is essential) - thereby limiting memory requirements, I can use just about any DAP headphone out, and the return on investment in pleasure terms is substantial. I am increasingly a fan of uber portable-fi: KISS* with good IEMs; use the bigger kit around home and on special trips.

* the philosophy, not the band.  :)

Feb 17, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #1,029 of 5,554
I can't disagree that they are a great bang for the buck, but if they fail on you, you'll be just as upset as I am. The only reason you are arguing with Hero Kid is that you haven't had these problems and I hope you don't. Like I said, I love them. The sound is just unreal for IEM's and they blow out of the water everything else I have. However, I have never had a driver blown on any IEM in the past, that includes my Westone 3's that i've had for years and the UM2s !! Both of these westones never failed but the es5 have within a few months time. There is an issue. I'm not sure what it is but it exists. 

Feb 17, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #1,030 of 5,554
What I meant in my last post by "common failure problems" was that the problem (whether driver failure or soldering) is the same among several people, not that the problem is widespread.  It's too hard to tell exactly how common these problems are, since we don't know exactly how many Head-fiers have posted that they own the ES5, and the ones with any problems are almost certain to post, whereas there could be many more owners who have no problems and don't post anything.

But you have to admit, it's disconcerting that, out of X number of people that have posted in this thread and elsewhere on Head-fi that they own ES5s, there are about 5 complaints regarding the same problem.  Someone with a lot of time can count how many people have posted that they own the ES5, but after having read this thread I don't think it's greater than 30 or so (and that's probably being generous).

Anyways, I'd still love to hear any more impressions from ES5 owners!

Feb 17, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #1,031 of 5,554
Well, no turning back for me.  I got molds taken for ES5s earlier today.  My audiologist said he has about 6 people per month ordering JH customs, whereas very few have ordered ES5s so far. 

I love my JH16s, but my main reasons for ordering ES5s were to try the vinyl hybrid tip (hopefully more comfortable and isolating), and to have a complementary sound signature when I'm in the mood for something different.  I'm also hoping Westone gets me a better fit on my right side than JHA has managed to do.  Review to follow...

Feb 18, 2011 at 8:32 AM Post #1,033 of 5,554

Quote:
Well, no turning back for me.  I got molds taken for ES5s earlier today.  My audiologist said he has about 6 people per month ordering JH customs, whereas very few have ordered ES5s so far. 

I love my JH16s, but my main reasons for ordering ES5s were to try the vinyl hybrid tip (hopefully more comfortable and isolating), and to have a complementary sound signature when I'm in the mood for something different.  I'm also hoping Westone gets me a better fit on my right side than JHA has managed to do.  Review to follow...

I'm also in NYC and was wondering who your audiologist was? I saw Joe Montano at Weill Cornell ENT and he got the fit right with the ES5's on the first shot. I'd be curious to know how yours does as it would be great to compile a list of the best NYC audiologists.

Feb 18, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #1,034 of 5,554
Just want to add that I did mine at NYC too. Through Andrew Resnick. Got the fit right the first time. The fit on my ES5s are perfect as well.

Quote:
I'm also in NYC and was wondering who your audiologist was? I saw Joe Montano at Weill Cornell ENT and he got the fit right with the ES5's on the first shot. I'd be curious to know how yours does as it would be great to compile a list of the best NYC audiologists.

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #1,035 of 5,554
just a reminder - if you've gotten impressions made please update the following thread following the directions in the first post (foveus, i know you've done so):
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/440466/the-audiologists-impressions-thread-pun-most-definitely-intended

Users who are viewing this thread

Back