Westone ES5
Dec 13, 2010 at 10:21 AM Post #796 of 5,554
Well it has been almost 4 weeks since I have been able to use my ES5's.  I went to the audiologist just before Thanksgiving to check out my fit issues and she noticed that they had irritated my ear so she wanted to wait a few weeks for the irritation to subside before she took new impressions.  So today is the day for new impressions and send my ES5's back to be refit.  So I hope all goes as planned and I will have them back soon and no more fit problems.

Dec 16, 2010 at 9:47 AM Post #797 of 5,554
Just recieve mine today......no fit problems.

Dec 16, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #798 of 5,554
I am sorry to repeat a question that has probably been asked through out this thread... but what are the key differences between the ES3X and the ES5?

Due to some border difficulties, my order to UM has been canceled, so I am unable to get the Mage. I am now looking at the ES3X, however I am not sure if that's the right choice at all. If it helps anything, I am a huge fan of sparkly and detailed highs.

Dec 16, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #799 of 5,554

Quote:

Quote:
Has anyone compared the sound improvements of ES5 over um3x. Is the double price worth it? . I would be interested. Um3x sound with good isolation , EQ and good source is excellent and hard to beat. I hope ES5 will sound much improved but not sure which aspect will get improved. for me as of now Um3x sound really really good

Quote:
There have been some comparisons between the ES3X and the UM3X, and HeadphoneAddict will be comparing the ES5 to the ES3X. I believe HeadphoneAddict has or is getting the UM3X, so you could just ask him.

Another option for you is simply reshelling the UM3X or getting custom tips (ex. UM56).

Quote:
Hi. I think it's really unfair to compare the 2. UM3X is a triple driver universal while the ES5 is a 5-driver customs. The fit for ES5 if the impressions are done correctly, would be a major plus over UM3X, thus improving all aspects of the SQ.

Anyway I have audition UM3X before. To answer your question, ES5 is less dark. The glorious mids are still present, with even more clarity and details. The overall sound quality is more transparent.

The ES5 is worth the extra price over UM3X or ES3X.  The ES3X is a nice worthwhile step up from the UM3X or W3, but the ES5 is even better.

The ES5 is not as forward as the UM3X or ES3X, but the mids are still glorious and vibrant, without ever becoming recessed.  The mids are more forward than the W2/W3, but more balanced than the UM3X/ES3X, so Goldilocks would say they are just right.  The clarity, detail, soundstage and transparency is also a step above the former IEM.  The ES5 highs are improved over the UM3X/ES3X and more extended and sparkly, so it's not just the mids that are better.  And, bass is very fast, tight, punchy and detailed like the ES3X, which is never too much or too little.

If you like the UM3X, you should love the ES3X and ES5.  If you are in love the UE11Pro, IE8 or W3, you might want to look elsewhere although you might love the ES5 - but that is harder to predict with those preferences.

This is post #367 by HeadphoneAddict in this thread.

Dec 16, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #801 of 5,554

Quote:
This is post #367 by HeadphoneAddict in this thread.

Thanks a whole lot! I didn't had the time to go through the thread (even though it isn't... that long compared to the other impression threads). So, thanks a whole lot for raking that post up for me. I guess I should be aiming for the ES5 then.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 16, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #802 of 5,554

Quote:
Quote:
Just recieve mine today......no fit problems.

Sweet, though it looks like the right side is much wider than the left. Do both sides fit snuggly?

That's most likely what his ears look like.  
wink_face.gif
  I don't have customs yet but from playing w/ universals I know I have an imbalance physiologically speaking left versus right.

Dec 20, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #803 of 5,554
Well, I got my refit back.  I liked the sound before the refit and it is even better now.  The things I notice that are different are better layering, spacing, air, depth, and I guess you would call it 3d ness.  I was shocked at what I heard, especially the depth.  Drums in the back, guitars up front.  How the heck did they pull this off?  I don't mean to sound Kooky on this, this isn't my first rodeo as  I have owned the Sony MDR 10s, Grado PS1000s, UE10s and JH13Pros.  I thought all were stellar but this headphone after the refit is right up there with the R10s for me.  On of my favorites albums is Husker Du's "Warehouse Songs and Stories".  This is poor recording, but the Westone gives it plenty of space, air and depth, almost at the level of the R10s.  The take home message is make sure you have the right fit, you never know what your missing if you don't.  

Dec 20, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #804 of 5,554
Another Husker Du fan.... Excellent. I haven't listened to Warehouse on the ES5 yet. Cueing it up now.

(Kclone, I agree with you on the importance of fit - and for good fit you need good impressions.)

Dec 21, 2010 at 10:34 AM Post #805 of 5,554

Quote:
Well, I got my refit back.  I liked the sound before the refit and it is even better now.  The things I notice that are different are better layering, spacing, air, depth, and I guess you would call it 3d ness.  I was shocked at what I heard, especially the depth.  Drums in the back, guitars up front.  How the heck did they pull this off?  I don't mean to sound Kooky on this, this isn't my first rodeo as  I have owned the Sony MDR 10s, Grado PS1000s, UE10s and JH13Pros.  I thought all were stellar but this headphone after the refit is right up there with the R10s for me.  On of my favorites albums is Husker Du's "Warehouse Songs and Stories".  This is poor recording, but the Westone gives it plenty of space, air and depth, almost at the level of the R10s.  The take home message is make sure you have the right fit, you never know what your missing if you don't.  

Good to hear that your refits are even better mine are in the lab right now being refitted so I hope I have the same results as you.

Dec 21, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #806 of 5,554
I got my ES5's today, only 2 weeks after getting my impressions made. They are stellar right out of the box with and without an amp. I was a bit worried about the bass but after hearing my reference Rush tunes my fears were gone, the bass is fantastic.

So far the fit seems perfect, they are comfortable and they pass my sound isolation tests (finger rubbing at the ear). I am able to talk and even eat food without breaking the seal. Interestingly, when I had the impressions made I did not use a bite block (against Westone's recommendation) but at this point it seems to be working well.

I also received the LCD-2 (with ALO chain mail cable) and the Burson 160D amp/dac today too (fortuitous coincidence) so I have a lot of auditioning/listening to do ... 

Dec 21, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #807 of 5,554

Quote:
I got my ES5's today...

...I also received the LCD-2 (with ALO chain mail cable) and the Burson 160D amp/dac today too (fortuitous coincidence) so I have a lot of auditioning/listening to do ... 

arggghhhh you're living the dream! This is the exact setup that I would love to have.

Please let us know how you feel the LCD-2 pairs with the 160D (after 200 hrs of course). 

Dec 21, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #809 of 5,554

Quote:
I got my ES5's today, only 2 weeks after getting my impressions made. They are stellar right out of the box with and without an amp. I was a bit worried about the bass but after hearing my reference Rush tunes my fears were gone, the bass is fantastic.

So far the fit seems perfect, they are comfortable and they pass my sound isolation tests (finger rubbing at the ear). I am able to talk and even eat food without breaking the seal. Interestingly, when I had the impressions made I did not use a bite block (against Westone's recommendation) but at this point it seems to be working well.

I also received the LCD-2 (with ALO chain mail cable) and the Burson 160D amp/dac today too (fortuitous coincidence) so I have a lot of auditioning/listening to do ... 

Congrats! :)

Since I got my ES5s and LCD-2s, the other headphones are REALLY collecting dust ..... I gotta consciously pick them up and listen to them ..... I trust you might have the same experience ... :) 

Dec 21, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #810 of 5,554

Quote:
Quote:

Congrats! :)

Since I got my ES5s and LCD-2s, the other headphones are REALLY collecting dust ..... I gotta consciously pick them up and listen to them ..... I trust you might have the same experience ... :) 

Sorry if you have posted about this before, but how does the ES5 compare to your other customs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back