Westone ES5
Feb 24, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #1,112 of 5,554

Quote:
b0ck, excuse my ignorance here but i'm not sure what you mean by fiber optics wrt art. could you elucidate please? thanks.

Here's an example:

Westone prints are less grainy but I really like the colours and overall finish on the JHs.

Quote:
Hi guys, used to have Westone 3 wich i really enjoyed.But now i want to go costum and will order ES5 soon.
Anybody with a Clip+ Rockbox can tell me how is the sound quality?
I live in London, and i will purchase from variophone, anybody got theirs from there?Can you tell me what's they prices, and how long does it take to make it?They are the Westone dealers for Europe.
I am thinking of costum art too.....Candy blue with a golden fish or shark....what about that?
Well at the moment i keep saving for those..
Just realised that even W1 with Clip+ Rockbox soung great.I wish i could hear some ES5 in South London before i order those....Anybody with those in my area?Much apreciated.
Thanks, Levi

Variphone have their own production, if I understand it correctly, so they're made in Belgium and not actually by Westone. What's worse, they charge twice as much. You might want to look into buying your ES5s on http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/westone-es5-musician-monitors1.html and have them make the invoice ~$10 to avoid duties and fees when importing to Europe. I'm only bringing it up as an option.

Quote:

But ES5 blows RE-ZERO out of the water in sound quality right?

It's almost impossible to compare as they have virtually nothing in common. When I swap from RE-ZEROs to JH16 it sounds like a tower speaker version of the RE-ZEROs with the addition of a brawny subwoofer. The ES5 is equally impressive, so I guess the short answer would be yes. There's an entirely different experience, the customs I've used have been universal fit, but unlike universals I've tried, they let you live within the music and feel it and be moved by it in ways that blow your mind considering the size of these things.

Feb 24, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #1,114 of 5,554

Quote:
I've made an appointment to audition the ES5 demo again today, and will hopefully be able to make a decision.

Bring what tips you can since we are talking a universal demo here.  I was fortunate being able to use the same tips for the ES5 and IERM demos so I felt good about my baseline for comparison.  I guess the IERM demo was dual bored while the ES5 wasn't.  If remember to look let me know I'm wrong about the ES5 demo being single bore.

Feb 25, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #1,115 of 5,554
Bring what tips you can since we are talking a universal demo here.  I was fortunate being able to use the same tips for the ES5 and IERM demos so I felt good about my baseline for comparison.  I guess the IERM demo was dual bored while the ES5 wasn't.  If remember to look let me know I'm wrong about the ES5 demo being single bore.

I didn't look for this last time but will today. The JH16 demo was dual bore and wouldn't fit standard tips, used short coreless foam to get them to seal properly which was fairly successful. ES5 demo, iirc, was fitted with comply tips and thus must've been single bore to fit one on there. I'll try to experiment as much as I can.

Feb 25, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #1,116 of 5,554
Listening to ES5 as I'm writing this. Quite a different experience from last time, probably since my frame of reference has changed alot since I started using EQ with my REs.

ES5 strikes me as perfectly balanced, I'd expect an FR curve of these would be quite flat. Better tips this time, modded complys. Awesome highs, no indication of roll-off, zero harshness, plenty sparkle. Mids not forward at all as I hear, bass seems to extend incredibly low and gone is the snappy sound from last time I heard them. Bass doesn't intrude on low mids as with the 16s, it's tight and controlled, fades away lovely - in fact, decay sounds just right over the entire frequency range. This just sounds supremely natural, the level of detail is mindblowing in a custom like this, and the sheer rumble of the 16s mask those details somewhat. Quick bass and drums are very addictive with these, I've never felt the urge to move my body this much when listening to an earphone before :) I must've done something wrong with tips last time, not only sounds better but more comfortable now.

On some recordings I miss the extra bass from the 16s, these add nothing that isn't there. But a good recording is simply flawless with the ES5, and it does metal way better - who would've thought?! It's in the control of the bass that lets the low range in distorted guitars to sound incredibly detailed, quick and smooth rather than boomy. The soundstage is in no way inferior to that of 16, little bit smaller and more intimate. But make no mistake, when listening to a good live recording like Alice In Chains Unplugged you are THERE in the audience!

Minds made up. I'm glad they made it so easy for me to choose them. This, in one word, sounds lifelike. Thanks for pointing out the art issues with JHA as I otherwise would have missed out on these amazing little things.

Feb 25, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #1,117 of 5,554
b0ck, how would you compare the es5 with the jh13?

Feb 25, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #1,118 of 5,554

Quote:
Listening to ES5 as I'm writing this. Quite a different experience from last time, probably since my frame of reference has changed alot since I started using EQ with my REs.

ES5 strikes me as perfectly balanced, I'd expect an FR curve of these would be quite flat. Better tips this time, modded complys. Awesome highs, no indication of roll-off, zero harshness, plenty sparkle. Mids not forward at all as I hear, bass seems to extend incredibly low and gone is the snappy sound from last time I heard them. Bass doesn't intrude on low mids as with the 16s, it's tight and controlled, fades away lovely - in fact, decay sounds just right over the entire frequency range. This just sounds supremely natural, the level of detail is mindblowing in a custom like this, and the sheer rumble of the 16s mask those details somewhat. Quick bass and drums are very addictive with these, I've never felt the urge to move my body this much when listening to an earphone before
smily_headphones1.gif
I must've done something wrong with tips last time, not only sounds better but more comfortable now.

On some recordings I miss the extra bass from the 16s, these add nothing that isn't there. But a good recording is simply flawless with the ES5, and it does metal way better - who would've thought?! It's in the control of the bass that lets the low range in distorted guitars to sound incredibly detailed, quick and smooth rather than boomy. The soundstage is in no way inferior to that of 16, little bit smaller and more intimate. But make no mistake, when listening to a good live recording like Alice In Chains Unplugged you are THERE in the audience!

Minds made up. I'm glad they made it so easy for me to choose them. This, in one word, sounds lifelike. Thanks for pointing out the art issues with JHA as I otherwise would have missed out on these amazing little things.

Your post (very insightful) just makes the waiting more painful
etysmile.gif
etysmile.gif
etysmile.gif

Feb 25, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #1,120 of 5,554
Dear Head Fier, I own Westone 3 and Westone UM 3 X with Removable Cable. Sony MDR EX 1000, Monster Miles Davis, UE 10 PRO Triple Fi, Shure SE 530 PTH

i also own portable Headphone Amp from RSA : The Predator and RS 71 B

i wish to buy the Best IEM to date for my Collection

Shall i upgrade directly to ES 5 or buy Westone 4 ?

Please advise and thank you

Feb 25, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #1,121 of 5,554
Rudi, I own the IEMs in my signature block, including Westone 3 and Westone 4. I say go custom. They are just leagues above the universals. The Westone 4 is quite good for a universal but still no match in terms of SQ to my 18 Pro or ES5. Not even close.

Feb 25, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #1,122 of 5,554
b0ck, how would you compare the es5 with the jh13?

I'm afraid I'm not qualified to answer that question, as I've simply not listened to the JH13 long enough. I did prefer the 16 over the 13 when comparing back-to-back as I thought they had better soundstage and imaging.

I'll tell you though, the ES5 session I had this morning caused permanent damage to my hearing. Everything I listen to now sounds muddy, lifeless and dull :frowning2:

Feb 25, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #1,123 of 5,554
Hi Guys, anybody here had their ES5 made by Variphone Belgium?They have their own lab , and make them. Is not possible for us in London to order them from Westone America wich is a shame.
Can you please shamre your experiences with Variphone if you purchased them from them and what price you've paid.
Your help and advices regarding this matter will be much apreciated.
Levi

Feb 25, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #1,124 of 5,554

Quote:
I'll tell you though, the ES5 session I had this morning caused permanent damage to my hearing. Everything I listen to now sounds muddy, lifeless and dull
frown.gif

Sounds like you heard the ES5 demo the same way I did.  It was a revelation.  

Feb 25, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #1,125 of 5,554

Quote:
I'll tell you though, the ES5 session I had this morning caused permanent damage to my hearing. Everything I listen to now sounds muddy, lifeless and dull
frown.gif

and im gonna suffer the same fate too when i send in my es5 for refit in a few days time 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back