Westone ES5
Feb 27, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #5,388 of 5,554
Quote:

iamdacow, you requested for pink tips? are there any other colours to choose from as well and also is there any extra charges?

Feb 27, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #5,389 of 5,554
Quote:

iamdacow, you requested for pink tips? are there any other colours to choose from as well and also is there any extra charges?

Yes I requested for pink tips. However my shell is full acrylic. There are no extra charges and I am sure that they will oblige your request of any tip color other than pink as long as the tip is full acrylic

Feb 27, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #5,391 of 5,554
Not sure about iamdacow, but in my case, Westone said my ear canal was too narrow for vinyl tips 
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
i didnt know you could request full acrylic through westone.

what was the reason you did so?

Feb 27, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #5,393 of 5,554
anyone pairing es5 with ak100?

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #5,394 of 5,554
Quote:
anyone pairing es5 with ak100?

I wouldnt reccomend it unless you plan to use it's line out capabilities exclusively.

Here's why:

its output impedance is nearly 23 ohms.  ES-5 impedance is a low 15 ohms.   This means that the OI of the ak100 is too high for the es-5's and will cause audible frequency imbalances.

here's the measurements for the ak100 - http://en.goldenears.net/14001

Furthermore, there is great evidence to my soapbox preaching about why the clip+ or clip zip are the perfect player for the es-5 and why you frankly arent going to get any better sound.  you can find some very good measurements of the clip+ if you do some googling.

What you will find is that its not only a perfect impedace match, but it's measurements basically prove that you are not going to get any audible improvements from a "better" player.  The clip already tests out out of audible range in all of its possible distortion, noise, imbalance areas.  it also has a very low output impedance.

This also explains why try as i might i have never been able to hear a difference between my o2/odac combo and my clip zip.

hope this helps.

thanks

Mar 1, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #5,395 of 5,554
As a clip+ and clipzip lover + user... I can't really agree... I've found lots of equipment better than es5 + clip, though that combo is nice.  I can also hear a great difference between my clips and anything + o2.

Had great experience with dx100 and es5, personally felt it was a great match.  Tried es5's with a normal ak100, didn't like it as much, it sounded clear and somewhat exciting, but dx100's soundstage with es5 was more attractive to me.

Not trying to start an argument about measurements vs. perceived sound, just stating my humble opinion.

Mar 1, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #5,396 of 5,554
Quote:
As a clip+ and clipzip lover + user... I can't really agree... I've found lots of equipment better than es5 + clip, though that combo is nice.  I can also hear a great difference between my clips and anything + o2.

Had great experience with dx100 and es5, personally felt it was a great match.  Tried es5's with a normal ak100, didn't like it as much, it sounded clear and somewhat exciting, but dx100's soundstage with es5 was more attractive to me.

Not trying to start an argument about measurements vs. perceived sound, just stating my humble opinion.

erm, when you paired es5 with normal ak100, do you find it dark sounding? lacking some dynamics?

Mar 2, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #5,397 of 5,554
normal ak100 as opposed to rwa ak100.  dynamics was ok, i felt it was a thin, quick, slightly more exciting type of sound.  dx100 felt colder in comparison.  one thing that some will like but i didn't was the vocals, a bit too close for my taste.  

Mar 7, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #5,398 of 5,554
Yeehaw! I'm stoked. I just had my impressions done on Monday for a pair of ES5s. I've been lurking here a while without posting anything, but I figured finally ordering was a good enough reason to make an account and post. :)

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #5,400 of 5,554
Just got called back to the audiologist to re-cast my ear impressions. Bummer! Here I was hoping I was over a week out, but I guess it's back to day 0. Pfffft! :mad:

I read somewhere in this thread that it takes 7-10 days to get the IEMs back from Westone. Has this been true for you guys? Is that business days or do I literally only have to wait one week's time?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back