Westone ES5
Jul 18, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #4,906 of 5,554
Quote:
I think you misinterpret what I meant. < 1cm driver cannot physically do what 12 inch sub can do. Not that the ES5 does not have enough bass slam. It does but it cannot create physical sensation of bass around my entire left and right side of my head that full size headphones can, that's all. It is convincing and satisfying, but it's not what it isn't.
Let's be honest, they are IEMs, not holy relics sent from god himself.

The ES5 is able to create a very very powerful bass slam. I have had the entire piece of ES5 rumbling on my ears before and so far, only the stock cable is able to deliver this. I had used it with twag as well as other cables and they took the bass extension and impact away.

Some of the other amps I have tried, for reasons unknown to me, took that away as well.

Jul 18, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #4,907 of 5,554
Quote:

The ES5 is able to create a very very powerful bass slam. I have had the entire piece of ES5 rumbling on my ears before and so far, only the stock cable is able to deliver this. I had used it with twag as well as other cables and they took the bass extension and impact away.

Some of the other amps I have tried, for reasons unknown to me, took that away as well.

No the rumble and slam is there. Gosh, I am not knocking the ES5, they are excellent. I am stating that ES5 cannot match my  12" KEF sub that makes my bowels, chest, windows and wife's Swarovski shake, that's all.

I am not saying it is not enough, it is enough. Anymore than this and it will be too much and imbalanced. I am saying it is an IEM and as best as IEM can do (which is very good) it's not a 12" sub. That's all don't read into it any more than that.

My eardrums and ear canal is shaking but I am disappointed that the ES5 cannot shake my wife's swarovski which is only a few feet away from me /sarcasm 
rolleyes.gif

Relax, you're all starting to sound abit fanboyish, seriously. No need to defend ES5, no one is attacking them

Jul 18, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #4,908 of 5,554
No one is attacking you, just responding to how we read your post is all.  
wink.gif
  I'm sure we just read it different than you posted it.  Just wanted to help you find what we thought you were looking for.  Just grab your wife's Swarovski cabinet and listen to some metal, that'll shake things up.    

As an aside I find the RX3 to kill the Stepdance myself.  Not sure if anyone would have hiss issues or not.

Jul 18, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #4,909 of 5,554
No worries, it's all good. 

Actually the bass on some albums is overwhelming as I am not used to it. I cannot concentrate on work while listening to them at any volume. It's "assault on my senses" lol. Not necessarily a bad thing, just have to listen to softer music while working.

So yeah the bass is not lacking

Jul 18, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #4,911 of 5,554
From what I read (somewhere in this 300+ page thread) no, does not effect sound quality.

Whiplash Audio TWag is spoken about a lot, you may want to check that out. There are also other options too from Moon Audio and other companies.

Jul 19, 2012 at 6:26 AM Post #4,916 of 5,554
Quote:
Soundstage nothing to write home about. It's good but it's as good as an iem can get, which is nowhere near floorstanding speakers obviously (I've heard some of the best money can buy so have a high bar). Maybe not as convincing as S logic on edition 8, but don't get me wrong, nothing inadequate, just nothing spectacular either. Still need to use imagination, unlike floorstanders. Better than any iem I've heard so far though, some tracks much better than others obviously.

Great that you are enjoying your new ES5s.   Is anyone else using their ES5 in balanced mode especially out of the ALO Rx Mk3-b?  The soundstage is one reason that I normally listen in this manner using my Moon Audio SD cable.  I seem to have a slightly better soundstage while using them..just more enjoyable to me.  Yes, the stock cables have somewhat better focus than balanced but the sound which I enjoy more is the slightly more open imaging with the balance input.  I can easily see why some would prefer the stock cable.

Jul 19, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #4,917 of 5,554
My ES5 #1796 arrived today!

I am perhaps one of the few individuals who had to go full acrylic "by force", because, upon receiving my impressions, Westone informed me that my ear canal was too narrow and long for vinyl tips 
rolleyes.gif
  Fortunately isolation seems good though (tried the Sensaphonics Audio Seal Test already). Will try them in subway/public transport tomorrow.

Mine seems to be missing the sweet mids and realism I heard in the universal demo, but I'll give my brain and ear some time to burn in 
wink.gif

The build quality is a bit disappointed..the right ear piece is fine but the inside of left one looks kind of rough 
rolleyes.gif

By the way, mine does not come with Oto-Ease but something similar called "Nurturell".

My cable comes with a smaller plug than my UM3X's making it more iPhone-case friendly

Jul 19, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #4,919 of 5,554
What? Your number is 1796 only?

My UERM is 39151... Business got huge gap in between them?? Gosh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back