Westone ES5
Jun 26, 2012 at 6:04 AM Post #4,727 of 5,554
I still think the ES5 is so good as to make anything sound better than what I had experienced with most other headphones..After saying that some things into the ES5s can sound better than others...I think most of this is simply cutting around the edges of what is expected.  Anticipated sound may never be what will be heard the first time you put these in but just listen to various tracks to get the full sound profile over a wide range before coming to any opinion what you hear or not hear before final assessment.

Mine we very tight for the first three or four days with some discomfort at first but my ears adjusted within that period and do not have any issues with the fit now.  One ear piece had a significantly (to me) larger extension than the other and this one is the one that produced the slight discomfort at first but now I am find with it.

Running my ES5 balanced using IEM Silver Dragon cables out of my ALO Rx Mk3-b from the DX100.

Jun 26, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #4,728 of 5,554
Quote:
My mistake. You did list the iBasso DX100 however and it seems to test really transparent (http://www.markuskraus.com/RMAA/dx100.htm). What didn't you like about it in that setup?

I didn't not like the DX100 setup. The sound of the DX100 varies from version to version and some of them sounded really great on the ES5.

I find that my phone is close to being equally competent on the ES5 and I weren't compromising on anything. The Ice Cream Sandwich update on my phone really made the cut for me as it improves upon the already excellent sound (details and separation became better).

Side note: I don't use EQ at all for audio playback.

Jun 26, 2012 at 6:30 AM Post #4,729 of 5,554
Quote:
Uelover: I guess I prefer slightly more open highs, where I can hear more "sparkle" and I cannot stand the muffled sound the ES5 stock gave me. I didn't want to EQ anything, and all I tried many different combinations of gear. The only solution that retained the exact sound of the ES5 while giving it slightly more sparkle and an open sound (getting rid of the muffledness), and with more textured bass, was my aftermarket cable from DHC. I guess YMMV and it's all subjective. I tried to keep as transparent as possible since I love the ES5's sound, and so I just stuck with ODAC and O2.

Strange that I had an opposite experience from you. The stock cable gives me the most sparkle and openness as compared to all aftermarket cables I tried. I have not tried the DHC cable so I can't comment on it.

In any case, I don't find the ES5 to be muffled.

I actually find the O2 to smoothen the highs a little, reducing the sparkles. That is when I add it to my Sennheiser EK300 IEM beltpack, the DX100, and my phone.

Jun 26, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #4,730 of 5,554
That's strange. I think I only have around 200ish hours on my ES5. Maybe that can be a factor? It's not really "muffled" but I can't describe it. It's like living in a room with one small tiny little window, and then living in a room with a one whole wall of glass being a window in a condo.
Quote:

Strange that I had an opposite experience from you. The stock cable gives me the most sparkle and openness as compared to all aftermarket cables I tried. I have not tried the DHC cable so I can't comment on it.

In any case, I don't find the ES5 to be muffled.

I actually find the O2 to smoothen the highs a little, reducing the sparkles. That is when I add it to my Sennheiser EK300 IEM beltpack, the DX100, and my phone.

Jun 26, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #4,731 of 5,554
Quote:
That's strange. I think I only have around 200ish hours on my ES5. Maybe that can be a factor? It's not really "muffled" but I can't describe it. It's like living in a room with one small tiny little window, and then living in a room with a one whole wall of glass being a window in a condo.

To me if you ES5 sounds muffled it is more a fitting issue than the phone itself because to me the ES5 has some of the best clarity I have ever heard with balance.

Jun 26, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #4,732 of 5,554
The fit IS quite important. Not really a fit issue, but one time when I put the ES5's on I could not hear anything in my left ear and I thought I was going deaf or I blew a driver or something but it was because of a vacuum created and once I let some air in, the sound came back.

Jun 27, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #4,734 of 5,554
Finally read this thread from start to finish. Every single post. Wow... what torture! I dunno what's worst, waiting for ES5 or reading through this entire thread. Both excruciating.

Between the arguments of placebo cables, harassing other people wanting to carry large stacks on the go, jokes about insertion which I admit were quite funny, thorough analytical reviews from a half deaf guy, trying to push one's own opinions as gospel to others instead of realising we all hear differently, approx 300 posts from a banned guy that has nearly zero constructive input with about 2000 aliases, some dude wanting to go on a murderous rampage at Westone because they were 1 week late delivering them, slight fanboy-ism leaning posts and throw in a mix of properly thought out reviews and posts... But I made it.

It was painful but necessary. I think I will now take a rest from Headfi for awhile until I get my ES5's. *puff* *puff* *pant* *phew*

To summarise 300+ pages:

1. ES5's sounds good
  2. Westone has great customer service
  3. Use Oto Ease

Am I missing anything?

PS. No direct offence meant to anyone, just quiet third party observations. Have a nice day

Jun 27, 2012 at 4:22 AM Post #4,735 of 5,554
Quote:
Finally read this thread from start to finish. Every single post. Wow... what torture! I dunno what's worst, waiting for ES5 or reading through this entire thread. Both excruciating.

Between the arguments of placebo cables, harassing other people wanting to carry large stacks on the go, jokes about insertion which I admit were quite funny, thorough analytical reviews from a half deaf guy, trying to push one's own opinions as gospel to others instead of realising we all hear differently, approx 300 posts from a banned guy that has nearly zero constructive input with about 2000 aliases, some dude wanting to go on a murderous rampage at Westone because they were 1 week late delivering them, slight fanboy-ism leaning posts and throw in a mix of properly thought out reviews and posts... But I made it.

It was painful but necessary. I think I will now take a rest from Headfi for awhile until I get my ES5's. *puff* *puff* *pant* *phew*

To summarise 300+ pages:

1. ES5's sounds good
  3. Use Oto Ease

Am I missing anything?

PS. No direct offence meant to anyone, just quiet third party observations. Have a nice day

damn you have the patience to read all that stuff, respect

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #4,737 of 5,554
I am new to this form and I just ordered a set of Westone ES5, neon orange with chrome reflection plates. I'll using mine primarily for live use with my band. I currently have Shure SE535 but I was looking for a custom iem. Glad to be here! 

Jun 27, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #4,738 of 5,554
Quote:

To summarise 300+ pages:

1. ES5's sounds good
  3. Use Oto Ease

Am I missing anything?

I know the murderous rampage guy was me but I'm trying to figure out if I may have been guilty of the other things you mentioned aswell...

Jun 27, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #4,739 of 5,554
Quote:

I know the murderous rampage guy was me but I'm trying to figure out if I may have been guilty of the other things you mentioned aswell...

Wasn't that the guy from Taiwan or something? He really needed to take a chill pill. Hope he's doing fine now 
biggrin.gif

Jun 27, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #4,740 of 5,554

Haha I knew my post would go down well :xf_eek:

No the murderous guy was all CAPS and extremely angry and Hated Westone simply because they delivered his Westones a week late or something. From the way he was reacting I thought westone had kidnapped his first born child...

It happened before you joined the conversation B0k3n

Users who are viewing this thread

Back