Westone ES5
Nov 14, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #3,616 of 5,554

Quote:
Guys how does the ES5 come against the Unique Melody Miracles
in terms of sound quality and built quality?

Am getting a Miracle later this week. Let me get back to that question in another 2 months.
biggrin.gif

Nov 14, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #3,617 of 5,554

Quote:

Pico Slim with CLAS is a no go for ES5. Sounds good at first but after a while the sound is very fatiguing and robs ES5 of its lushness.

I'm not a fan either, at least the Pico Slim I had but others I talked to mentioned similar issues w/ theirs.  Size and low volume channel imbalance should be your primary concerns if looking at getting one.  There's better, more transparent and neutral amps out there if size isn't a concern.

Nov 14, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #3,618 of 5,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by uelover /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Pico Slim with CLAS is a no go for ES5. Sounds good at first but after a while the sound is very fatiguing and robs ES5 of its lushness.

While I am hesitant to provide a universal analysis (i.e. advice to all), my ears too found the sound signature fatiguing. I was very impressed with the Pico Slim on a technical level but with the ES5, it didn't work for me. This was especially true with the CLAS but also straight from the Classic line out. Too bright for my ears.

Nov 14, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #3,619 of 5,554
I had mine with just an LOD, without CLAS if it explains why I didn't finf it fatigue

Nov 14, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #3,620 of 5,554

Quote:
CLAS worth keeping?

TTVJ vs. Pico?

So I think that GG has gotten most of our opinions on amp's pairing with CLAS =)

My guess is that TTVJ works better with CLAS. We can wait for Paul to provide his full impression on that.

Other combination worth considering:

More portable rig:
iPod + HP-P1
Whipmod + Pico

Less portable rig:
iPod + CLAS + iBasso P4

Nov 14, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #3,622 of 5,554
awww too long man. give me your initial impressions, they don't need burn in. can you afford the es5 
tongue.gif

thinking of making a decision in january of what i shall buy.
like a neutral set of sounding IEMs true to the source without emphasis on any frequency.

Nov 14, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #3,623 of 5,554
UERM or UM Miracle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelraw /img/forum/go_quote.gif

like a neutral set of sounding IEMs true to the source without emphasis on any frequency.

Yes, I think so. Thanks you guys. After around 120 hours, I think the sound is opening up, mids less "rich" and veiled than originally, and overall more clear and neutral. I might be able to live with iPhone 4S headphone out, and leave the amps to full-sized cans; thinking of selling my CLAS.

Quote:

So I think that GG has gotten most of our opinions on amp's pairing with CLAS =)

My guess is that TTVJ works better with CLAS. We can wait for Paul to provide his full impression on that.

Other combination worth considering:

More portable rig:
iPod + HP-P1
Whipmod + Pico

Less portable rig:
iPod + CLAS + iBasso P4

Nov 14, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #3,624 of 5,554
If you intend to get the LCD-3, the bricks just don't it any justice. I was able to live with the bricks for the LCD2 but since I heard my LCD3 at home, it is not going back to the office anytime soon. I am stuck with the bricks with the LCD2 and ES5 at office now. Next year I will buy a good desktop source and desktop amp for my office - before that, the LCD3 is going to stay home for a while sharing head time with my SR009.

Nov 14, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #3,625 of 5,554
UM Miracle I prefer, I am just concerned about the spectacular highs and very well extended lows being a significant output from these IEM's so much so that mids don't seem so noticeable and sound flat and "laid-back" as they are described.
I favor a lot of pop music and listen to female vocals a lot, I'd prefer an IEM balanced but have noticeable midrange. 
not sure if these miracles are the be all end all for IEM's??
thus I am exploring the ES5 in comparison to the UM Miracles since I've read a lot about ES5's having slightly forward Mids, good for my vocal music. But then again I have trouble making my mind up.
 Are the Mids veiled, I thought the ES5 didnt need burn in.

Nov 14, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #3,627 of 5,554
You might benefit from asking ArrigoShred, I think he has owned both the Miracle and the ES5. I can tell the ES5 are a bit on the lush side of things, but they are pretty darn balanced to my ears now that they have 100+ hours on them. As for burn in, at this time, I'm not sure if it's real or if my ears are just adjusting to the sound. What I learned from all this researching is that, I wasted so much time being picky of the small differences of sound on paper, and I regret it; you'll end up enjoying the music no matter what you pick. I'd say if you listen to pop and female vocals, ES5 is pretty good for you as the mids are good for vocals, and they have plenty bass as well as detailed highs that are not fatiguing at all. I can't compare them to the Miracle so again, ask ArrigoShred. :)

By the way, when you take your impressions, a guaranteed way of getting a good fit the first try is to bite on the bite block with your molars, larger end facing outwards. Your mouth will be wide open like an opera singer's, and this way it'll open up your ear canals as wide as it can, resulting in an impression that is larger than the average. The earpieces may be very tight at first, but your ear canal gets used to it within a couple days, and oto-ease helps. This method will guarantee a perfect fit, no breaking of seal when opening mouth or chewing, if done right.

Quote:
UM Miracle I prefer, I am just concerned about the spectacular highs and very well extended lows being a significant output from these IEM's so much so that mids don't seem so noticeable and sound flat and "laid-back" as they are described.
I favor a lot of pop music and listen to female vocals a lot, I'd prefer an IEM balanced but have noticeable midrange. 
not sure if these miracles are the be all end all for IEM's??
thus I am exploring the ES5 in comparison to the UM Miracles since I've read a lot about ES5's having slightly forward Mids, good for my vocal music. But then again I have trouble making my mind up.
 Are the Mids veiled, I thought the ES5 didnt need burn in.

Nov 15, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #3,628 of 5,554
^Just be careful not to open your mouth too wide. If you grimace too wildly you could end up with a set of earphones that don't match your pinna except for the times when you grin like an idiot (granted, this will happen alot if you do get the ES5).

Wrt Leckerton, I really don't see why they're not more popular. They play to both sides with exotic components, fun solutions and great, documented performance. Perhaps they're not expensive enough?

Nov 15, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #3,629 of 5,554

Quote:
Wrt Leckerton, I really don't see why they're not more popular. They play to both sides with exotic components, fun solutions and great, documented performance. Perhaps they're not expensive enough?

I know right!

I'm looking forward to the O2 w/ the ES5 too which I imagine would be a nice match.  I think many of the amps out there are too colored to be employed w/ the ES5 well tbh but if you like how it sounds that's all there is to it.

Nov 15, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #3,630 of 5,554
Fostex HP-P1 -> Stepdance ->  ES5 still takes the cake IMO. I have a number of top end portable bricks but this simple combo seems to have the best synergy with the ES5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back