Westone ES5, Reshell TF10, UE Reference, UE 18 Pro, or JH13?
Oct 20, 2010 at 7:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

MusicFirst

100+ Head-Fier
Here's my story:

I'm primarily a speaker listener, but because of my living arrangements at the moment and my regular public transportation commutes, I find myself attached to my IEMs far more frequently than ever before. Over the years, I've owned many IEMs and was reasonably happy with the SE530, although I have never liked how dark and veiled they are --they are very sweet and soothing though.

Recently, I picked up the Triple.Fi 10s, and I really love its neutrality (nearly flat according to my ears and the charts that I've seen), but the fit is horrendous. I am forced to get custom earmolds, which will cost $170 CDN. My thinking is that I should just go ahead and buy customs now instead of inevitably moving up the chain and losing more money in the long run when I upgrade. For instance, the $170 plugs will be useless when I move on from the TF10.

I've narrowed my search down to three cans: the UE Reference, the 18 Pro, and the JH13. Looking at the frequency response of the JH16, I've excluded it from consideration because I value neutrality and listen mostly to rock and alternative. For mobile listening, I will be using these with my iPhone 4 (ALAC) > iBasso D10; at home, I have my Technics SP-10MKII turntable with linear-tracking tonearm and ClearAudio Virtuoso cartridge, as well as my trusty Ack! DAC.

Which would you recommend for me? I cannot find the frequency response charts for the UE Reference or the JH13, but the 18 Pro looks OK (not spectacular but decent).

One final possibility is that I could have my TF10 reshelled by that Floridian company that many here have praised.

Oct 20, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #2 of 11
this might be off little but have you considered westone es5? 
review seems they are neutral and have good sq along with jh 13
I ask this because its little cheaper than other custom iem.
there are links to reviews if you look up westone es5 thread

Oct 20, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #4 of 11
I never even considered Westone for customs, but thanks for reminding me. Now that I've looked briefly at the ES5, it has become my top candidate!

The $150 price cut over the JH13 is lovely too.

Have you tried the ES5 yourself?

Oct 20, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #5 of 11
A vote for ES5. In fact, I'm waiting for mine to arrive.
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 20, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #6 of 11
One question about dealers --I see that some US Westone shops are offering the ES5 for $900. Should I go through Westone or order from one of these dealers? 

The place where I'm getting my molds done are listed on Westone's website, so they are a dealer, although I don't know how much they are asking for the cans. If they're charging more, then I should just send the impressions to a US dealer, right?

Oct 20, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #8 of 11
who are the dealers? links?

Quote:
One question about dealers --I see that some US Westone shops are offering the ES5 for $900. Should I go through Westone or order from one of these dealers? 

The place where I'm getting my molds done are listed on Westone's website, so they are a dealer, although I don't know how much they are asking for the cans. If they're charging more, then I should just send the impressions to a US dealer, right?

Oct 21, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #11 of 11
I see that Hands Free isn't listed as one of the "dealers," but the dealers noted on Westone's website for BC are just audiologists. Apparently, I will have to pay the extra impressions fee and then ship them myself to Westone. This is a bit disappointing because the process is so much simpler for Americans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back