Westone ES3X Appreciation Thread
Nov 10, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #1,773 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by klatzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the sending in part was Jaben's fault.

But this is the 5th time I am sending those things back to Westone.

Have to say this sounds strange and there's definitely something odd going on. For your sake, it sounds like you might only be satisfied with a refund at this point. To bad too, since the ES3X really are reference level IEMs!

Nov 10, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #1,775 of 1,871
i love the cables, the build the sound. But the design, big problem. The silicone guides on the cables really don't work. They do work, but only if your ears are big enough. There's no memory wire so it doens't mold to your ear, and doesn't stay put. Rather annoying and a poor design.

Nov 11, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #1,776 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigon_ridge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Rdr. Seraphim

So now that your rig seems almost perfect, have you considered a cable upgrade? How about Null Audio's Lune Silver? Maodi gave the lesser Enyo cable a very positive review.

Thanks for the tip tigon_ridge! Apparently, I haven't noticed the wire upgrades MaoDi has tried. Gotta do some backgrounder on 'em. Thanks!

I wouldn't say things are "perfect" but, I'm increasingly impressed with what the ES3X is capable of, with the right amp. (I haven't used my Pico for anything other than a DAC since the DNA arrived :). My recent Mullard GZ34 addition has been a revelation! I really think that Donald North has provided an excellent platform to build on! Achristilaw has tweaked his nearly to the max with new caps, silver wire, etc. He's looking at doing some pretty spendy tranny's; Archristilaw is using his DNA with JH13's. With the simple NOS tubes I've added, the change is rather glorious!

Been looking over the Neko DAC. Looks like a good match, with similar design approach.

Ok MaoDi, where are those cable reviews?
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 11, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #1,778 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha only have done one review, on the Enyo Cable.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/nu...e-pics-445070/

It's a nice cable, i just ca't stand the silicone guies

I would cut the silicone guide. I can use several layers of clear tape to reshape the wire. I don't think I will mind the wire looking a little silly at all.

Nov 11, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #1,779 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha only have done one review, on the Enyo Cable.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/nu...e-pics-445070/

It's a nice cable, i just ca't stand the silicone guies

Thanks MaoDi! Interesting read. Sounds like the lil' silicone guides are not quite up to snuff but, maybe they could be removed?

MaoDi, you mention that the midrange is emphasized? I wonder if Westone has any impedance compensation built into their cables, similar to Ety's? (Eh, Powerhound?) Note that it doesn't need to be an actual RLC component--it can be the wire itself.

The quality of materials and workmanship certainly look improved (sans the lil' silicone sleeve). How does the connector work? Ok with the ES3X?

Maybe Qusp (if you're out there watching) has an update on his custom wire options? My listening preferences tend more toward copper formulations than straight AG, with my current fav's being Cardas Golden Reference (IC and speaker cables) and/or Harmonic Technology (HT) Magic II+ (IC) and their Pro-Reference 9 for speakers. (I'm currently using HT in my "bigger" system.)

Hey Larry (HPA)! Any experience with any of these formulations and the ES3X?

I'm Ok using AG, in proper ratios (in my experience), and Jim Wang of HT uses a combination of OCC copper and OCC AG in his Magic II+ ICs. They are remarkably neutral.

I'd love to try some Piccolino variant but for my pocketbook.

Nov 11, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #1,780 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdr. Seraphim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have to say this sounds strange and there's definitely something odd going on. For your sake, it sounds like you might only be satisfied with a refund at this point. To bad too, since the ES3X really are reference level IEMs!

yup, this will be the last time. I asked for a remake for the right side.I believe no tweaks can make them sound better since they failed the past 4 times.

I will be really grateful if the re-made side sounds as good as when I first had it, if it doesn't I am hoping Westone do a full refund for me.

its really a pity, such wonderful customs they once were....sigh...

Nov 11, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #1,781 of 1,871
Wish you good luck! I honestly love my ES3X, and it's sad that your pair hasn't been right for you. But let's hope they get it right this time =)

Nov 11, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #1,782 of 1,871
I have not tried any aftermarket cables for the ES3X except a balanced one that P0wderh0und23 made. I have a SARN cable that is a stiff SPC that I got free when I traded an Ultrasone Proline 2500 for a modded ATH-A900, but it is too stiff to really use and while it improved my Freq Show when I first got it I haven't used it since. I might dig it out and try it.

Nov 11, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #1,783 of 1,871
I am one of those who think cables don't add much as long as you use a quality cable, I am quite happy with my ES3X. My only concern is that white cables turn green with time, although it does not affect their sound. The Westone cables are very nice and soft.

Nov 11, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #1,784 of 1,871
Hey guys. I just want to chime in here and say that while I really appreciated what ES3X can do, I felt that it just doesn't deserve the low-end sources that I have. With my sources, I preferred the sound of my Hifiman RE0 as I found it more balanced and dynamic. So I had to return the ES3X.

I am really not saying RE0 is better, but I am just saying that unless you got a great source, RE0 might be a better and much smarter choice than ES3X.

Just my 2 cents of course.

Nov 11, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #1,785 of 1,871
I'm kinda interested at the cable upgrade from Null Audio actually.
I wonder if there's much of a difference between the Enyo and Lune series, since the price is almost double.

MaoDi, on the NullAudio website they don't offer cables for the ES series. Did you just get the cable for TF10pro? Same socket as ES3X?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back