Westone ES3X Appreciation Thread
Jul 26, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #1,486 of 1,871
How loud do you think it is on Classical concert like Verdi's Requiem in "dies irae"? 90db?

Jul 26, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #1,487 of 1,871
Pila, if you listen to your ES3X's at classical concert halls' volume levels you're safe - believe me.

Rock concerts is a totally different story - usually. 5/6 years ago while living in London I went to see rock band Tool at the Brixton Academy and the volume level was so loud I simply walked out, yes walked out! Even covering my ears the volume level was insanely loud - definitely over 90db - and muddy! - worst ever experience sound-wise at a rock concert.

In 2005 I saw Van der Graaf Generator at the Royal festival Hall and there the volume level was just perfect, loud enough to be enjoyable, and not even half as loud as the Tool concert. That was certainly rare for a rock concert, and the acoustics were fantastic, but that was the Royal Festival Hall where I've also seen the London Symphony Orchestra play several times.

Jul 26, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #1,488 of 1,871
I agree with you. If you listen to classical at concert hall level all is good.
I do worry about my kids though. i tell them to lower their volume but not so sure they do when I am not around. My youngest plays violin and I do have to tell him he wants to preserve his ears. My daughter plays flute and piano, but she is more reasonable.

Jul 26, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #1,489 of 1,871
Hey gilency, nice avatar you've got there!

Must be a joy to have 2 kids learning and practising their instruments at home. I'm quite lucky myself to have my daughter doing just that. No problems so far with volume levels on her Nano - at least that I know of.

Jul 26, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #1,490 of 1,871
what does your daughter play? do you play any instruments?
Yeah, we are in the process of upgrading his violin. I tell you, they are more expenssive that the Blue Hawaii and Stax!
eek.gif

Jul 27, 2009 at 9:09 AM Post #1,491 of 1,871
She's learning the violin again. She started when she was 5 and did it for about 6 months, but life's twists prevented her from carrying on at the time. 9 years later life allowed her to start again. She's very musical and adores the instrument. She's been doing that for the last 18 months - She'll turn 16 in the next few days.

In my case I rarely attempt to play the guitar anymore these days for reasons I'd rather not go into here.

Jul 27, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #1,492 of 1,871
I listen a bit louder than in a classical concert hall sometimes, I think.

BTW - I have also played piano for over 4 years and working at the moment on Chopin's 1st Ballade and Bach's "The Well Tempered Clavier" 1st book and doing everything to do it as Bach wanted it to be [I like Glenn Gould's interpretation the most and than Argerich's and Richter's interpretation].

Hoping I won't destroy my hearing....

Jul 27, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #1,493 of 1,871
glad you are learning piano. I have been playing the first movement of the Italian Concerto, one of my favorites. Chopin, I havent played in a while but may try again for one of his waltzes. My busy work schedule frequently prevents me from playing more often as well as my obsession with checking headfi every couple of hours!

Jul 27, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #1,494 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my case I rarely attempt to play the guitar anymore these days for reasons I'd rather not go into here.

Wait, wait, wait! Your first love always whined about how poorly you played guitar, and she hated it so much that she told you she'd NEVER want to hear another damned guitar again, no matter who plays it. A month later... she found a professional guitarist and dumped you!
eek.gif
OwCh!
icon10.gif

Jul 27, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #1,495 of 1,871
Cruel, very cruel.

Jul 27, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #1,496 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigon_ridge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait, wait, wait! Your first love always whined about how poorly you played guitar, and she hated it so much that she told you she'd NEVER want to hear another damned guitar again, no matter who plays it. A month later... she found a professional guitarist and dumped you!
eek.gif
OwCh!
icon10.gif

Oh no, the reasons weren't quite as 'romantic' as you put them. :)

Jul 27, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #1,497 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigon_ridge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eek.gif
OwCh!
icon10.gif

Never listen to women's excuses of dumping. the only reason she dump you is because she have no feeling for you. nothing more.

Jul 29, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #1,499 of 1,871
Sigh..i am disappointed

I got the ES3X back, and the right side is still muffled. I guess I will need to send it back to westone again.

bought it for 4months now and for a good 2months its been travelling across the globe twice. and here comes the third time......

zZZzzzzZZZzzz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back