Westone ES3X Appreciation Thread
Jul 22, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #1,471 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by zb0430 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
to Tigon_Ridge...

Actually, changing the volume would have a dramatic effect on the perceivable FR curve of an IEM. The human ear perceives certain frequencies more clearly at differing SPL levels. The human ear is "flattest" near the 85 dB mark.

Interesting. Thanks for the correction. I recall having to turn up the volume significant to hear a 16kHz sample at this one randomn website years ago. Your post just reminded me of that experience.

Jul 22, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #1,472 of 1,871
Is this the ears' way of protecting themselves against these frequencies on the extremes of the spectrum? To me, what that constitutes "music" usually doesn't need to extend far beyond 13kHz or below 100Hz, but others may like to differ. Does anyone know whether these extremely high/low frequencies could have a long-term damaging effect on the ears?

Jul 22, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #1,473 of 1,871
The Erhu and Gu Zheng instruments in this piece sound so soulful. I want to listen to this song through a good pair of IEMs so much. If or when I do get the ES3X I will definitely buy the CD and drown myself in it. Through these cheap buds and low bitrate file the instruments already have captured me.

Quang Le - Nua Vang Trang - Free MP3 Stream on IMEEM Music

Jul 22, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #1,474 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigon_ridge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this the ears' way of protecting themselves against these frequencies on the extremes of the spectrum? To me, what that constitutes "music" usually doesn't need to extend far beyond 13kHz or below 100Hz, but others may like to differ. Does anyone know whether these extremely high/low frequencies could have a long-term damaging effect on the ears?

Generally, no they won't (AFAIK). Sounds over 13Khz do occur naturally, in the form of soundstage and "air". High frequencies are used to hear the room you're in. Cymbals and violin also contain those frequencies. Low frequencies are also present naturally. Kick drum extends down to about 30 hz. The popping of the letter "P" extends very low as well. (Called "P Pops" in recording. Usually considered a microphone artifact and filtered out though.)

LOUD noises of any frequency will damage your ears at that frequency. But the ears have the natural ability to hear sounds from 20hz-20Khz, and should not be damaged by them.

(DISCLAIMER: I am not a doctor. Real health advice should come from a doctor. But I am a pretty good recording engineer.)

Jul 23, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #1,475 of 1,871
Quote:

Clarion Music - Asian » Stringed Instruments

The two I'm speaking of are the Erhu and the Gu Zheng. The music I listen to typically has these instruments playing. I absolute love their sound. Sigh...

I saw the ehru in China a couple of years ago. very interesting and nice instrument. I have not heard them with the ES3X but violins and strings sound wonderful with them.
I have several of Yo-Yo Ma's recordings including one with oriental music from his Silk Road performance. They play a variety of ancient string and wind instruments. I saw him live at Hollywood Bowl with his Silk Road group, amazing performance.
I would have to say that my favorite earphone for strings is a Stax, which makes them sound like heavenly music. The ES3X is a close second. The JH13 crowd will probably put theirs first.

Jul 23, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #1,476 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I saw the ehru in China a couple of years ago. very interesting and nice instrument. I have not heard them with the ES3X but violins and strings sound wonderful with them.
I have several of Yo-Yo Ma's recordings including one with oriental music from his Silk Road performance. They play a variety of ancient string and wind instruments. I saw him live at Hollywood Bowl with his Silk Road group, amazing performance.

Cool!

Quote:

I would have to say that my favorite earphone for strings is a Stax, which makes them sound like heavenly music. The ES3X is a close second.

How close?

Jul 23, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #1,477 of 1,871
Quote:

Cool!

How close?

Close.... but they are different.
Stax is extremely clear and airy.
ES3X is very clear with less soundstage although still quite good.
Stax does not give you any isolation, ES3X does.
Can't take the Stax to bed or out of the house. With ES3X you can.
I just don't see myself ever confining to one or the other.
I need both.
The JH13 crowd on the other way are selling all their other phones. Whether is hype or real I don't know.
When I listened to the universal JH13 at CanJam, I really liked them, although I would not use the wow! descriptions I read on that thread.
And yes I know is not the same as a real custom. However, it gave a glimpse of what they are like, close enough for me to be very happy with my ES3X.
At the end of their (4-5 yr?) lifetime, I will see what's available, may be sooner, but I am not in a hurry because the ES3X are wonderful.

Jul 24, 2009 at 12:14 PM Post #1,478 of 1,871
Actually, changing the volume would have a dramatic effect on the perceivable FR curve of an IEM. The human ear perceives certain frequencies more clearly at differing SPL levels. The human ear is "flattest" near the 85 dB mark.

zb0430, or anyone who can - Will you be able to post a link to track and tell the exact level number I need to listen to it on the Cowon D2 with my ES3X so it will be 85db so I will know how loud it is and how loud is 100db?

Thanks.

Jul 24, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #1,479 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by pila405 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

zb0430, or anyone who can - Will you be able to post a link to track and tell the exact level number I need to listen to it on the Cowon D2 with my ES3X so it will be 85db so I will know how loud it is and how loud is 100db?

Thanks.

Would 85 dB be too loud to listen to? >80dB for prolonged listening session would hurt the hearing ability permanently as I'm told.

Jul 24, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #1,480 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenLeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would 85 dB be too loud to listen to? >80dB for prolonged listening session would hurt the hearing ability permanently as I'm told.

85dB is OK for all day long, really. Once you get above 90dB, you need to start limiting the timeframes. At 90dB, hearing loss or damage MAY occur after 4.0 hours.

Jul 25, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #1,481 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
85dB is OK for all day long, really. Once you get above 90dB, you need to start limiting the timeframes. At 90dB, hearing loss or damage MAY occur after 4.0 hours.

Yep, and that's depending on if you go by OSHA standards, or the much more conservative NIOSH standards. But likely, 85 dB would be a very safe monitoring level for even very lengthy listening sessions, 16 hours according to OSHA, and 8 hours according to NIOSH.

Here's a chart hosted by Sensaphonics with a breakdown and explanation:

Sensaphonics / Products / dB Check In-Ear Sound level Analyzer

I don't really know of a way to measure this, other than measuring output of your device/DAP, and calculating the dB level you would achieve with the impedance and sensitivity of your IEM. I've never done that, and don't even pretend to know a formula to calculate this. That's left for someone in the industry to handle.

Jul 25, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #1,482 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by zb0430 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, and that's depending on if you go by OSHA standards, or the much more conservative NIOSH standards. But likely, 85 dB would be a very safe monitoring level for even very lengthy listening sessions, 16 hours according to OSHA, and 8 hours according to NIOSH.

Here's a chart hosted by Sensaphonics with a breakdown and explanation:

Sensaphonics / Products / dB Check In-Ear Sound level Analyzer

I don't really know of a way to measure this, other than measuring output of your device/DAP, and calculating the dB level you would achieve with the impedance and sensitivity of your IEM. I've never done that, and don't even pretend to know a formula to calculate this. That's left for someone in the industry to handle.

That reminds me. I was in a high school dance one time (I only attended one hs dance... and the experience stunk so I never attended another) and the music through the loud speakers was ear blasting throughout the entire cafeteria. There wasn't a place in the cafeteria where the music wasn't uncomfortably loud (and I wouldn't dare be standing within 10 ft in front of the speakers), until the slow songs were played. So, I imagine that this must've been 90-100 decibels according to the chart in the link. If it were louder, it certainly should've been illegal. So, my guess is, as long as the music is not uncomfortably loud in your ears you should be able to listen to your cans for at least 8 hours (~85 db) according to the chart.

Jul 25, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #1,483 of 1,871
Quote:

That reminds me. I was in a high school dance one time (I only attended one hs dance... and the experience stunk so I never attended another) and the music through the loud speakers was ear blasting throughout the entire cafeteria. There wasn't a place in the cafeteria where the music wasn't uncomfortably loud (and I wouldn't dare be standing within 10 ft in front of the speakers), until the slow songs were played. So, I imagine that this must've been 90-100 decibels according to the chart in the link. If it were louder, it certainly should've been illegal. So, my guess is, as long as the music is not uncomfortably loud in your ears you should be able to listen to your cans for at least 8 hours (~85 db) according to the chart.

You are right. it should not be allowed. I watched Bid Bacd Voodoo Daddy recently and the music was so loud my ears hurt. Can't go to a concert unless you have earplugs. iot is somewhat of a public health problem but I guess there are no regulations regarding dangerous noise levels.

Jul 26, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #1,484 of 1,871
Quote:

You are right. it should not be allowed. I watched Bid Bacd Voodoo Daddy recently and the music was so loud my ears hurt. Can't go to a concert unless you have earplugs. iot is somewhat of a public health problem but I guess there are no regulations regarding dangerous noise levels.

There most certainly are regulations. Unfortunately, politics and money allow you to get away with breaking laws, when you're bringing in revenue to a city by having a concert there.

For private facilities, there are ordinances in almost every city that designate acceptable noise levels for sound that bleeds to neighboring areas. In my experience, it's generally a discretionary call for a police officer that is called to determine whether there is an issue or not. I've never seen any scientific measuring or SPL measuring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back