Westone ES3X Appreciation Thread
Jul 22, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #1,456 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This test will prove nothing other than, "yep you have ears". Think of the difference in PC's/Mac's, their sound cards, the speakers you are using. I ran this by one of our Audiologist here in the office and she got a good laugh out of it, so that should tell you what to expect from this "test". Remember, your ears are your ears. No hearing test from others is going to tell you if you hear things the same. :)

But this hearing test taken by the same person with different earphones (as I did) or by different persons with the same earphones (as I requested) can, through comparisons, add one more piece of information to the general data.

Jul 22, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #1,457 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinocelt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But this hearing test taken by the same person with different earphones (as I did) or by different persons with the same earphones (as I requested) can, through comparisons, add one more piece of information to the general data.

Doesn't matter, unless everyone is using the same motherboard, same soundcard, same output on the same volume and the same phones, it won't prove anything.

Jul 22, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #1,458 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doesn't matter, unless everyone is using the same motherboard, same soundcard, same output on the same volume and the same phones, it won't prove anything.

According to this logic, statistics would be completely and utterly useless. Too many variables. And, for the same reason, any comment made by anyone about how something sounds should be immediately dismissed, and Head-Fi closed.

Jul 22, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #1,459 of 1,871
Quote:

According to this logic, statistics would be completely and utterly useless. Too many variables. And, for the same reason, any comment made by anyone about how something sounds should be immediately dismissed, and Head-Fi closed.

What you're doing now is amplifying my words into dramatics. Testings that are on the internet can never be accurate because basically no one on here has the same soundcard, same mother board, same computer, same processor, on the same volume with the JH13's plugged in to.

If someone states that they think say a earphones sounds uselessly bass light, when another thinks it's not. I don't see a problem with that because each and every one of us has a different taste to music, but if one can't hear something and they claim they can, then that's a whole different matter and that's what will really render Head-Fi comments useless...

Jul 22, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #1,460 of 1,871
Quote:

What you're doing now is amplifying my words into dramatics. Testings that are on the internet can never be accurate because basically no one on here has the same soundcard, same mother board, same computer, same processor, on the same volume with the JH13's plugged in to.

If someone states that they think say a earphones sounds uselessly bass light, when another thinks it's not. I don't see a problem with that because each and every one of us has a different taste to music, but if one can't hear something and they claim they can, then that's a whole different matter and that's what will really render Head-Fi comments useless...

Using this hearing test is no more subjective (i.e. dependent on a specific subject) than saying "this IEM lacks bass" or "this IEM sparkles." So it isn't useless, or any opinion becomes useless, and consequently this forum.

Jul 22, 2009 at 1:16 PM Post #1,461 of 1,871
Quote:

Using this hearing test is no more subjective (i.e. dependent on a specific subject) than saying "this IEM lacks bass" or "this IEM sparkles." So it isn't useless, or any opinion becomes useless, and consequently this forum.

Dude... We're talking about a hearing test, aimed at measuring something constant about headphones vs. our hearing differences. If there are variables, other than personal hearing differences, it's bunk and not scientific. This is not comparing headphones based on personal impressions or opinions. It's a (poor) attempt at making a scientific observation of the headphones.

He's right. It's useless unless everyone is using the same equipment at the same settings. Don't amplify it into philosophical dramatics.

Jul 22, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #1,462 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by zb0430 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dude... We're talking about a hearing test, aimed at measuring something constant about headphones vs. our hearing differences. If there are variables, other than personal hearing differences, it's bunk and not scientific. This is not comparing headphones based on personal impressions or opinions. It's a (poor) attempt at making a scientific observation of the headphones.

He's right. It's useless unless everyone is using the same equipment at the same settings. Don't amplify it into philosophical dramatics.

I don't agree, "dude." It has comparative value if the same person with the same equipment tests different earphones, which I have done.

It also has value if the person looking at the result of the test understands its limits, just as one must understand the limits of anyone's personal appreciation -- be it numerical or verbal -- of any earphones.

Jul 22, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #1,463 of 1,871
Quote:

This is not an attack on you, sir, but this shows somewhat of a lack of knowledge about how audio reproduction works. The motherboard and soundcard should have no effect on the digital integrity of sound information as long as you are using an external DAC (I don't think anyone who owns high-end IEMs would use an internal soundcard). Changing the volume does not change the overall shape of the spectrum of frequency response, which is what we are really interested in. Sinocelt wants to gather statistical data on how es3x users perceive the FR of the es3x, to get a general statistical picture of the es3x's actual FR curve. The only variable in the case of using a separate DAC is the amp one uses. Therefore, anyone taking this test should state what amp they're using. Otherwise, I would agree that this test would have no purpose, unless everyone is using the same amp.

Everyone's ear is different, but if you take 100 listeners and test them with the same headphone and amp, and take the average data... the result should be relatively close to the actual FR of the combination of headphone and amp.

zb0430, there is no need to use the word "dude" in a condescending manner. We have our disagreements, and there are better ways to deal with that fact than to talk down to people. We should all be mature and respectful in this forum.

Jul 22, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #1,464 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigon_ridge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
zb0430, there is no need to use the word "dude" in a condescending manner. We have our disagreements, and there are better ways to deal with that fact than to talk down to people. We should all be mature and respectful in this forum.

A lot of younger people use the word dude (whether is grammatically correct or not) as part of their slang with absolutely no intention to sound condescending or rude. Your comments may actually create more problems.

Jul 22, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #1,465 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A lot of younger people use the word dude (whether is grammatically correct or not) as part of their slang with absolutely no intention to sound condescending or rude. Your comments may actually create more problems.

In that context it sounded a bit condescending. Not to the degree of "Dude, get a life. Dude, what's your problem? Dude, you're wrong." However, you get my meaning.

"Your comments may actually create more problems."

No comment of mine have ever been intended to be verbal strikes at anyone. Try to see through my words to my actual intent.

Jul 22, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #1,466 of 1,871
"Dude, what's mine say?" "Sweet, what's mine say?" "Dude, what's mine say?" "Sweet, what's mine say?" "Dude, what's mine say?" "Sweet, what's mine say?" "Dude, what's mine say?" "Sweet, what's mine say?" "Dude, what's mine say?" "Sweet, what's mine say?" "Dude, what's mine say?" "Sweet, what's mine say?" "Dude, what's mine say?" "Sweet, what's mine say?" "Dude, what's mine say?" "Sweet, what's mine say?" "Dude, what's mine say?" "Sweet, what's mine say?" ...

Jul 22, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #1,467 of 1,871
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Dude, what's mine say?" "Sweet, what's mine say?" "Dude, what's mine say?" "Sweet, what's mine say?" "Dude, what's mine say?" "Sweet, what's mine say?" "Dude, what's mine say?" "Sweet, what's mine say?" "Dude, what's mine say?" "Sweet, what's mine say?" "Dude, what's mine say?" "Sweet, what's mine say?" "Dude, what's mine say?" "Sweet, what's mine say?" "Dude, what's mine say?" "Sweet, what's mine say?" "Dude, what's mine say?" "Sweet, what's mine say?" ...

haha I get your point. Things can sound one way or the other depending on the context in which they're placed. Anyways, sorry for the confusion. Back to the topic, I wonder what these cans and its competitors sound like with those centuries-old oriental string instruments. I absolutely love the way they sound. I'll try to google for their names...

Jul 22, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #1,469 of 1,871
I think sound comparisons have merit except:

Internet hyperbole and hype > tests and science
People justifying their purchases > reason

Buy it and dump it if you dont like it - eat your money lost. Not being able to resell custom IEMs gives me heartburn.

Jul 22, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #1,470 of 1,871
Sorry, I used "dude" in a bit of a flippant manner. It was a failed attempt at de-formalizing and lightening the disagreement before I presented a differing opinion that the person I was replying to. No harm or condescending intended. My apologies for a poor use of slang on a forum where inflection is almost impossible to accurately represent...

Back to the regularly scheduled Head-Fi hyperbole and endless debating.

L3000.gif

to Tigon_Ridge...

Actually, changing the volume would have a dramatic effect on the perceivable FR curve of an IEM. The human ear perceives certain frequencies more clearly at differing SPL levels. The human ear is "flattest" near the 85 dB mark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back