Westone 4r Vs Shure SE846 whats the best?
Sep 18, 2013 at 12:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 67

Sylaw

500+ Head-Fier
hey guys .. im having around 1000 bucks to burn. so im kind of curious about how these IEM's sport each other. since they both are quad driver IEm's. I saw what earphone solution has made a comparison of w4r's and SE846 , but im not very convinced by that.. its not the type of comparison I wanted so plz :)

Sep 19, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #2 of 67
If the comparison doesn't satisfy you you will have to listen for yourself and decide.  The W4r is generally neutral and flat sounding where SE846 is big, bold and robust (more fun).  Completely different sounding.

Sep 20, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #3 of 67
when you get to that level of universal in ears, its hard to say one is better than the other..they are just different

for starters you have 1,000.00 what are your  source equipment ie: dap,dac,amp,interconnects ect

Sep 20, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #4 of 67
  when you get to that level of universal in ears, its hard to say one is better than the other..they are just different

for starters you have 1,000.00 what are your  source equipment ie: dap,dac,amp,interconnects ect

I do    have e ipod classic 7G / Fiio LOD / Practical devices XM5 - with all my IEm's ( EX1000 , ER4's , W4's ,IE80's( not a gud amp for this )

Sep 20, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #6 of 67
  so you already have the w4? why not invest in a good dac and amp and better LOD?

dhu? -_- I thought you saw my Signature dude ? do u think investing on a better Dac and e amp will be a better upgrade over the 846? tell you honestly I don't have e much of a interest in low regions( as long as they don't have any bloat) . Im a Lean guy. but I do appreciate some Emphasis towards Mids ..

Sep 20, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #7 of 67
 do u think investing on a better Dac and e amp will be a better upgrade over the 846?

No, I think you will notice a bigger difference in the Shures vs Westones than a DAC or LOD.  Whether it is a better difference, I can't say, but a different DAC or LOD will not be much of a difference.

Sep 20, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #8 of 67
  No, I think you will notice a bigger difference in the Shures vs Westones than a DAC or LOD.  Whether it is a better difference, I can't say, but a different DAC or LOD will not be much of a difference.

so ur basically saying that SE846 are a upgrade over the W4's or its just a signature preference

Sep 20, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #9 of 67
I have never heard the Shures in question.  I am just saying that the difference between the SE846 and a W4R will be a bigger difference than the difference between different DACs or LODs.

Sep 22, 2013 at 5:53 AM Post #11 of 67
Although I have not listened to these, I've read various reviews and the westones don't look that great compared to others in that price range.

If it was my money I'd be looking at
Shures
Sennheisers 800i
AkG 3003. I've listened to these and they sound good, not 1300 good but good

I'd also look at sonys new headphone due soon, I see you have the ex1000 like me, these are my favourite IEM currently I also have the ie8i same as your ie80. Of which I think are soso....

The Sony however isn't going to be 1000 it probably around 500 dollars

I presume your looking for the end of the rainbow headphone like we all do. I actually drew the line at the ex1000 because after hearing eh AkG and how that sounded the difference in sound isn't massive, in fact micro incremental in benefits, we'll it is to my ear anyway. I wasn't going to sink anymore cash into another IEM hoping I'd get that soundstage that I think exists but in realty is just a pipe dream....

Test them is my advice , all ears are different.. Some say they love etymoic 4ps I thought they were the worst sounding IEM ever, flat as a pancake, very clear but cle ts no good when it's bassless

Sep 22, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #12 of 67
If it's a case of looking for end of the rainbow, the SE846 would be the clear choice over the W4R.  The ASG2 might also be considered over the W4R if not going with the SE846, a great IEM in its own right with more bass than the W4R but not to the point of overpowering. I have all 3, and think any of these is an excellent choice.

If the IE800 or AKG3003 enter the picture, then ergonomics should seriously be considered, as those are shaped quite differently, and replaceable cables are another factor.  

Sep 22, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #13 of 67
  If it's a case of looking for end of the rainbow, the SE846 would be the clear choice over the W4R.  The ASG2 might also be considered over the W4R if not going with the SE846, a great IEM in its own right with more bass than the W4R but not to the point of overpowering. I have all 3, and think any of these is an excellent choice.

If the IE800 or AKG3003 enter the picture, then ergonomics should seriously be considered, as those are shaped quite differently, and replaceable cables are another factor.

so what do think the best when its comes neutrality?  i always loved the bass quantity of W4's. so no competition points for bass that excess the amount of w4's . what about the resolution of mid high ranges ? since u own all 2 of them?

Sep 22, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #14 of 67
It seems like you are very set on getting the shures. You should just get a pair of that and get someone to readable your westone 4s. That way you kind of get both a w4r and a shure 846. One such retailer is btg audio

Sep 23, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #15 of 67
It seems like you are very set on getting the shures. You should just get a pair of that and get someone to readable your westone 4s. That way you kind of get both a w4r and a shure 846. One such retailer is btg audio

thats a good idea, and brian at BTG is awsome. shoot he charges i believe 45.00 for removeable cable mod, that leaves your 955 for dac,amp,and interconnects and cables.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back