Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Nov 1, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #4,981 of 5,568
  Which 3rd party tips do you enjoy the most with you w4r's?

I have been a big advocate for the star tips but recently I have been using the fit tips. I  am presently updating my music library to all FLAC, tedious but worth it, since I listen to all of my music on FIIO X3. It is a great pairing. Do you happen to have any Large Shure Olives? I have medium comply and olives I can't use. I go one size up to good a tight seal?

Proguard earportz are IMO the all be all for the w4r, but the problem is they might not be for all. however with the earportz they have a tappered bore, smaller near the nozzle and larger near the tip and it flares out, this opens up the mids and highs. but again not all people find the fit to be as great as i do, as they are deep insertion.

i never liked the olives or the comply's as they veil the mids and highs too much, they are good for bass. but thats about it.

Nov 4, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #4,982 of 5,568
Hey, I recently bought the Westone 4r and as for now I feel dissapointed.... but the fact is that its propably the tips or something else that destroys my experience. I compared my IEM with a cheap JBL iem and the westone had more body , more depth but had all the detail muddied and blurred when compared,I had to concentrate to focus on a different instrument and when things where getting louder it dissapeared somewhere....im quite sure it isnt normal. Changing the tips included to the package, didnt change anything , whatsoever only the smallest tips fit me as i got a shallow ear canal and even the blue tips will not fit me because then the IEM sticks out to much. Can it be a mechanical problem ? I bought the westone 4r from Sonic Electronix so should be fine i think. Actually bought a westone 4 but they sent me a 4r because they were out of stock. All my files are FLAC , AIFF , MP3 320 etc. so no problem there
P.S. : The silicones sounded more blurred etc. than the foamies . I tried the blue foamies reversed but then the treble got so harsh.

Nov 4, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #4,983 of 5,568
Can't decide between the W4 and SM64. I like good clarity/detail, forward mids/vocals, big soundstage, neutral bass, bit of treble sparkle with good extension but not harsh/sibilant. The music I listen to are J-pop, J-rock/metal, female vocals, post rock, math rock, experimental, Jazz, pianos, instrumental, r&b, hip hop, rap. Example of artists/musicians I like Utada Hikaru, One Ok Rock, Uverworld, Joe Hisaishi, Dir en grey, Shiina Ringo, toe, spangle call lilli line etc.

Also how does the W4 pair up with the Sony Walkman Z1070?

Nov 4, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #4,984 of 5,568
  Hey, I recently bought the Westone 4r and as for now I feel dissapointed.... but the fact is that its propably the tips or something else that destroys my experience. I compared my IEM with a cheap JBL iem and the westone had more body , more depth but had all the detail muddied and blurred when compared,I had to concentrate to focus on a different instrument and when things where getting louder it dissapeared somewhere....im quite sure it isnt normal. Changing the tips included to the package, didnt change anything , whatsoever only the smallest tips fit me as i got a shallow ear canal and even the blue tips will not fit me because then the IEM sticks out to much. Can it be a mechanical problem ? I bought the westone 4r from Sonic Electronix so should be fine i think. Actually bought a westone 4 but they sent me a 4r because they were out of stock. All my files are FLAC , AIFF , MP3 320 etc. so no problem there
P.S. : The silicones sounded more blurred etc. than the foamies . I tried the blue foamies reversed but then the treble got so harsh.

the included tips suck, both silicone and foam, and it sounds like your ears may need some kind of 3rd party tip be it silicone or foam.

you definitly seem to be having a issue as the w4r have extremely phenomenal instrument separation, they also have excellent detail, if your getting neither. theres a kink in the equation somewhere.

what kind of other equipment are you using  ie:dap,dac,amp ect

Nov 4, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #4,985 of 5,568
  Proguard earportz are IMO the all be all for the w4r, but the problem is they might not be for all. however with the earportz they have a tappered bore, smaller near the nozzle and larger near the tip and it flares out, this opens up the mids and highs. but again not all people find the fit to be as great as i do, as they are deep insertion.

i never liked the olives or the comply's as they veil the mids and highs too much, they are good for bass. but thats about it.

I bought and tried the earportz (all sizes). The ones that fit/seal best are the medium ones. I didn't mind the fit once inserted well. But SQ wise nope they didn't do it for me. They sound like the some of the comply, but darker and with less treble presence and spark than the best fitting complies to me (medium short). I am back to using the silicone star tips  which provide the best balance of bass and treble/air to me. Almost a neutral response with very good but not overdone bass and just slightly warm sounding.

Nov 4, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #4,986 of 5,568

I bought and tried the earportz (all sizes). The ones that fit/seal best are the medium ones. I didn't mind the fit once inserted well. But SQ wise nope they didn't do it for me. They sound like the some of the comply, but darker and with less treble presence and spark than the best fitting complies to me (medium short). I am back to using the silicone star tips  which provide the best balance of bass and treble/air to me. Almost a neutral response with very good but not overdone bass and just slightly warm sounding.

Damn that sucks. i presume you tried adjusting the tips up and down, sometimes if you play with how they insert into your ear it will help with the sound, obviously from the ergonomics of your ear, and the design of the tip, it may be hindering your sound....maybe they just dont work for you which is a shame.

still to date its the best silicone tip ive tried with the westone w4r.

i tried using them with my se535 but the nozzle is too long and it doesnt fit right....but then i rethought and remembered the se535 arent as finicky as the w4r when it comes to tips, they are set it and forget it....with the se535 the sound to me doesnt change per tip like the w4r.

Nov 4, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #4,987 of 5,568
  Damn that sucks. i presume you tried adjusting the tips up and down, sometimes if you play with how they insert into your ear it will help with the sound, obviously from the ergonomics of your ear, and the design of the tip, it may be hindering your sound....maybe they just dont work for you which is a shame.

still to date its the best silicone tip ive tried with the westone w4r.

i tried using them with my se535 but the nozzle is too long and it doesnt fit right....but then i rethought and remembered the se535 arent as finicky as the w4r when it comes to tips, they are set it and forget it....with the se535 the sound to me doesnt change per tip like the w4r.

Yup agreed about the up and down. I actually worked out to find the best position when inserting for the best seal. Also agreed the 4Rs are some of the most finicky IEMs I've owned in regarsd to tips. They can sound anywhere from warm and bloated to bloody bright and of course really really good and balanced, all with a good seal.

Nov 4, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #4,988 of 5,568
I encounter the same thing. I have never had an iem so tip dependant. I have always used star tips on my UM3X and loved it. I also like them on my W4R but recently started using the true fit tips and like them. But I am really struggling to find a perfect tip for seal and comfort. I use large tips and basically have piles of medium comply and shure olives which do me no good.

Nov 4, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #4,989 of 5,568
the included tips suck, both silicone and foam, and it sounds like your ears may need some kind of 3rd party tip be it silicone or foam.

you definitly seem to be having a issue as the w4r have extremely phenomenal instrument separation, they also have excellent detail, if your getting neither. theres a kink in the equation somewhere.

what kind of other equipment are you using  ie:dap,dac,amp ect

Ibasso dx50 is the DAP so it shouldnt be the problem , Are shure olives any better than turę fit ? Or should i look elsewhere

Nov 4, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #4,991 of 5,568
Holy cow i did it ! I changed the tips to the smallest true fit ones And then put them in only as far as they could go without helping with the other hand , And I experienced a life time eargasm , godly iem i love it so much now , I just cant believe what im hearing , such effortles separation And clarity, i wish someone made even smaller tips!

Nov 4, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #4,992 of 5,568
Holy cow i did it ! I changed the tips to the smallest true fit ones And then put them in only as far as they could go without helping with the other hand , And I experienced a life time eargasm , godly iem i love it so much now , I just cant believe what im hearing , such effortles separation And clarity, i wish someone made even smaller tips!

exactly, im glad you found a tip that works for you, and hear the separation and the clarity of the w4r. i knew something was finicky.

see how finicky the w4r are about tips. you might want to keep trying different tips now that you know the sound signature you know what you are listening for. you will be able to tell the differences and what you should be hearing.

Nov 4, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #4,994 of 5,568
Sad news.  I lost my Westones on a flight to Bangkok.  I fell asleep and when I woke up as we were landing they were gone.  I am thinking someone stole then while sleeping but I asked around and no one saw them.  I stayed on the plane an extra 10 minutes looking all over the floor etc but never did see them.

A sad day indeed.  Due to budget constraints I picked up a pair of RHA MA350's from amazon for 40.00 to tide me over until I can save up enough to buy another pair.

Nov 4, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #4,995 of 5,568
  Sad news.  I lost my Westones on a flight to Bangkok.  I fell asleep and when I woke up as we were landing they were gone.  I am thinking someone stole then while sleeping but I asked around and no one saw them.  I stayed on the plane an extra 10 minutes looking all over the floor etc but never did see them.

A sad day indeed.  Due to budget constraints I picked up a pair of RHA MA350's from amazon for 40.00 to tide me over until I can save up enough to buy another pair.

wow, people suck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back