Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Oct 25, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #4,967 of 5,568
Balanced armatures dont really burn in. You would hear more of a brain burn in or your ears ssttling with the sound signature.

The w4r Are very tip demanding you might jave to try alot of tips or third party tips to get a sound you like the most

Oct 28, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #4,972 of 5,568
The Audeo tips don't go deep like the white triple flanges and so don't isolate to that extent, but in my ears they are better sounding an isolate as good or better than the star tips. More comfortable too.

Oct 29, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #4,973 of 5,568
The Audeo tips don't go deep like the white triple flanges and so don't isolate to that extent, but in my ears they are better sounding an isolate as good or better than the star tips. More comfortable too.

personally i could never use the triple flange tip on any iem, theres just not any ergonomics to them.

im titor tottering on weather or not to try out the audeo, ive got:
earportz tips
atrio tips,
westone star + fit tips,
original westone frosted silicone tips,
comply foam tips,
comply p series tips
shure yellow foam tips
shure grey silicone tips
shure olive foam tips
shure e2c clear silicone tips
shure triple flange tips

i like tips lol

Oct 29, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #4,974 of 5,568
I agree. Had to cut the third flange off to use the white Westone triples. I was trying to give you an idea of the isolation on the Audeo tips. I like how they are in, sealed and done in two seconds, with no fiddling (large size for my ears). Comfortable enough that I'll fall asleep wearing them.

YMMV, but what the heck, you've got almost every other tip made. Might as well grab some Phonaks while they're still available.

Oct 29, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #4,975 of 5,568
If anyone is interested I have about three month old pair of w4r that I would love to trade for a somewhat mint pair of w3's if anyone is interested and lives in. Canada preferred would like to trade and try the w4r please feel free to pm me. Thanks :)

Oct 31, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #4,976 of 5,568
personally i could never use the triple flange tip on any iem, theres just not any ergonomics to them.

im titor tottering on weather or not to try out the audeo, ive got:
earportz tips
atrio tips,
westone star + fit tips,
original westone frosted silicone tips,
comply foam tips,
comply p series tips
shure yellow foam tips
shure grey silicone tips
shure olive foam tips
shure e2c clear silicone tips
shure triple flange tips

i like tips lol

You could open a tips r us!

Nov 1, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #4,979 of 5,568
^can you compare the se535 and the 4r please?

in the literal sense ''Day & Night''

the w4r is lush smooth,detailed, frequencies are pretty much all in line, id say is moderately neutral. no one frequency jumps out farther than another. bass is deep,tight and controlled but again not emphasized, mids and highs are clear and present again not emphasized. the w4r was the first iem that i felt NEEDED to be amplified.even though its not high ohms its just something about amplifying the w4r that brings it to life. i think one of the main things to point out is this isnt a basshead iem. its more of a reference style iem that is true to form and true to the track.also WIDE soundstage, imaging is on key and pitch black.

the w4r are more laid back becuase there isnt any huge emphasis on any one particular frequency everything is just detailed and smooth, 

the w4r's are extremely tip dependent, and honestly one of the only iem;s ive ever dealt with that is stubborn in that respect. each and every individual tip will yeild a different sound, emphasize on a different frequency. and one of the biggest problems is that the silicone star + tru fit they come with are crap and imo produce crap sound. i was lucky to get the older style tips with my w4r when they came with frosted e2c style silicone tips and comply foam tips. the se535 is NOT tip dependent only in the sense for comfort. otherwise i dont find the sound to change with different tips, and i have tried alot of tips.

the se535 a very forward mid presentation, highs have sparkle, lows are deep and controlled again not a bass head type iem, both emphasize more on quality in bass than quantity. soundstage is IMO wide yet intimate becuase of the forward mids, in some songs i notice say a spare drum hit and you get this wide sense of space. but becuase the mids are so forward it feels like the artist is right next to you, imaging is on key and true to form much like the w4r.

i feel like the se535 is detailed, but with the forward mids it kinda presents a feeling like alot is going on. obviously becuase the mids are forward so everything in the mids are going to be detailed. i feel the mids before forward like they are kinda give the highs a boost in frequency.....kinda like you can disern mids from highs  but theres a fine line with the mids being forward like that.

the se535 IMO are phenomenal for vocals both male and female, again this is becuase of the mid presentation that intimate vocality it gives you a impression that the artist is right next to you.

now a disclaimer. those impressions are just straight out of a dap, ipod,ect and with stock cables.

My setup is Iriver ihp-140 using fiber optic out>sys-concept custom fiber optic cable>ibasso db2 dac>rsa male toxic silver poison cable to ibasso hirose male interconnect>RSA sr-71B>toxic silver posion westone cable rsa balanced

i just recently bought a double helix symbiote nucleotide shure cable for the 535....i also have a ibasso pb2 amp with lme49990 + ha5002 opamps with ibasso balanced interconnect.

When you get into cables/amps/dacs/daps/interconnects you are dealing with a whole new animal with both the se535 and the w4r, with my setup they sound phenomenal and they sound NOTHING like they do just out of a dap. the whole sound signatures are different its hard to explain unless you heard it. just my opinion

Nov 1, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #4,980 of 5,568
  haha, i give up on third party tips, im either going to go for the silicone  um56 to see what those are like, so i can use them with the se535 also. i think i have enough tips

Which 3rd party tips do you enjoy the most with you w4r's?

I have been a big advocate for the star tips but recently I have been using the fit tips. I  am presently updating my music library to all FLAC, tedious but worth it, since I listen to all of my music on FIIO X3. It is a great pairing. Do you happen to have any Large Shure Olives? I have medium comply and olives I can't use. I go one size up to good a tight seal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back