Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Oct 24, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #4,954 of 5,568
Alot of ipod dislikers around.

Well there are other alternatives nowadays that just blow the ipod out of the water. and given in this hobby we look for the better of quality in audio, ipod just isnt up to par at all.

in no particular order fiio x3>ibasso dx-50>ibasso dx-100>iriver ihp-140>ak120>ak100>hm801>hm901

there are alot of others that blow the ipod away in either portability or in their use of fiber optics such as the iriver ihp-120 and ihp-140 also the astell and kern ak 100/120 both use those technologies.

ipod is too worried about asthetics and still using imo old software to load songs onto their products, their products are biased to some forms of files...its all about size, cameras,colors,ect....ipod nearly has nothing to do with amplification or dac...which makes them fall very short on the list of audiophile grade daps.

that and most external dacs that apple certifies are in the range of 400-600 plus say 200...you get my point at the end of the day by the time your rig is complete it serves no purpose other than a media carrying device.

even though the iriver ihp-140 is a older dap it harbors fiber optic line out which i personally like. and you can upgrade the harddrive....so even though it too ends up being a media carrying device it serves other purposes.

Oct 24, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #4,955 of 5,568
Well there are other alternatives nowadays that just blow the ipod out of the water. and given in this hobby we look for the better of quality in audio, ipod just isnt up to par at all.

in no particular order fiio x3>ibasso dx-50>ibasso dx-100>iriver ihp-140>ak120>ak100>hm801>hm901

there are alot of others that blow the ipod away in either portability or in their use of fiber optics such as the iriver ihp-120 and ihp-140 also the astell and kern ak 100/120 both use those technologies.

ipod is too worried about asthetics and still using imo old software to load songs onto their products, their products are biased to some forms of files...its all about size, cameras,colors,ect....ipod nearly has nothing to do with amplification or dac...which makes them fall very short on the list of audiophile grade daps.

that and most external dacs that apple certifies are in the range of 400-600 plus say 200...you get my point at the end of the day by the time your rig is complete it serves no purpose other than a media carrying device.

even though the iriver ihp-140 is a older dap it harbors fiber optic line out which i personally like. and you can upgrade the harddrive....so even though it too ends up being a media carrying device it serves other purposes.
very well said.. :). And you are so rite.. Apple don't care about stuff like the dac and stuff.. Which is sad considering how much you pay for them things.. I refuse to buy another iPhone just for that very reason.. They look the same from day one.. They never change.. So ya I'll never buy one again.. Sorry don't mean to make this about Apple.. Now back to the w4r lol thanks :)

Oct 24, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #4,956 of 5,568

Agree 100%. I used an iPod for years and have tried some of the expensive amp and DAC devices like the Fostex HP-P1. It seems silly now to carry two expensive boxes around when you can get an equally good sound from something like the X3 at a fraction of the price. I don't really care about the UI and I certainly don't care about the Apple brand. It's unfortunate that most people do place an emphasis on these things.

Having said that, I still think the W4R sounds decent out of an iPod - just somewhat dull and lifeless compared to the X3.

Oct 24, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #4,957 of 5,568
I used to own the W4R and got them again when earphonesolutions had them on sale for $299. I almost immediately regretted purchasing them again when I received them. It was another impulse buy. This time around I decided to to try out Phonak tips and it made a significant difference. The upper mids and highs opened up and they now sound balanced to my ears. Before that, they sounded mid bass and lower mid dominant with the new style style and old style Westone and Shure tips. I don't know why I didn't try the Phonak tips before, but this time I'm glad i did.

Oct 24, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #4,958 of 5,568
  I used to own the W4R and got them again when earphonesolutions had them on sale for $299. I almost immediately regretted purchasing them again when I received them. It was another impulse buy. This time around I decided to to try out Phonak tips and it made a significant difference. The upper mids and highs opened up and they now sound balanced to my ears. Before that, they sounded mid bass and lower mid dominant with the new style style and old style Westone and Shure tips. I don't know why I didn't try the Phonak tips before, but this time I'm glad i did.

do you have a link to those tips?

Oct 25, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #4,959 of 5,568
So I think I've been wearing these wrong. I put them in so the 4R lettering is about 40 degrees above the horizontal and the no longer push against my ear parts, still a bit big but a lot more comfy. I gave them a listening again today and they are EXTREMELY sibilant. People say the GR07 is sibilant, I can't hear it. These are almost intolerable: the S hisses like mad and cymbals rings a lot. Is this normal or something wrong with my setup. I hear it across multiple tracks and some are just torture, like Nightwish - Sleeping Sun. Why westone 4r hates me so much?

Oct 25, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #4,960 of 5,568
  So I think I've been wearing these wrong. I put them in so the 4R lettering is about 40 degrees above the horizontal and the no longer push against my ear parts, still a bit big but a lot more comfy. I gave them a listening again today and they are EXTREMELY sibilant. People say the GR07 is sibilant, I can't hear it. These are almost intolerable: the S hisses like mad and cymbals rings a lot. Is this normal or something wrong with my setup. I hear it across multiple tracks and some are just torture, like Nightwish - Sleeping Sun. Why westone 4r hates me so much?

I guess everyone hears differently and/or your music is causing it but yes occasionally I do hear sibilance but a) not often b) even if i do, it does not bother me.

I guess try another IEM if you can find a buyer for yours

Oct 25, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #4,961 of 5,568
As the thread is quite long. Q: Was there any noticeable burn-in and if so how long did it take with the W4Rs?

I have the Westone 4Rs, X3 and RWAK100 at home. I have also heard the 4Rs on the AK120 and AK100 at sufficient length last Saturday. I agree the 4Rs have great synergy with the X3.

My order of preference:
1. W4R+AK120 was the best, if only slightly to #2. Extremely clean background, clear, excellent imaging, nice soundstage size, very well extended at both ends. Very fast transients, which imo translates into improved transparency. The resolving ability is quite impressive. I've heard many worse desktop rigs. Compared to the RWAK100 there's a small notch better bass impact and instrument separation. The tonal balance lies to the very slightly warm side of neutral. I would describe the overall sound signature as mostly reference. It does not try to please or lull you, but give it a couple of songs and it's difficult to go to a lot of other portable gear. (exception being RWAK100 as below)

2. W4Rs+RWAK100. Very similar to AK120, as mentioned above. Surprisingly or not, the RWAK100 comes much closer to the AK120 than to the AK100. I am glad I heard the AK120 as I am no longer tempted by an upgrade. (We'll see what happens when AK200 is released). The differences are at the level where you have to work and segment your listening to uncover them. If you like resolute, agile, well balanced accross the range & transparent sound, that's nor mellowed nor harsh, this is a fantastic combo.

3. W4Rs+AK100. Hmm after hearing the first two and considering the price. Not thrilled. Compared to RWAK100 it loses mainly in transparency, resolution, clarity and impact.

4. W4Rs+X3. For the money it's great. Good synergy, but it does not have the transients and thus transparency, resolving power or sheer technical ability of #1 or #2. For the price one probably wouldn't expect it either. The mid-bottom hump adds to the listening pleasure (if ones like that) and consolidates the 4Rs bottom end. I don't think it is a more natural or truer representation of the original recording, but it sounds fun. The comparative lack of treble resolution and spark to #1 and #2, can help if you have a lot of bright recordings. I do not prefer the treble presentation here though.

Somewhere far behind: Sandisk Clip, Galaxy S3, IPAD4.

Tracks used: Stockfisch Recordings (FLAC), Dire Straits, Infected Mushrooms. Using the FIIO RC-WT1 cable as I prefer it to stock.

Conclusion: I am extremely pleased with the Westone 4, and while I am at a satisfactory level with my desktop gear, I feel there's more to come with IEMs. But for what the price, the Westones are good stuff. With the correct expectations level that's with both the AK and Fiio gear.

Oct 25, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #4,965 of 5,568
I don't know if it's burn-in or the tip change, but I'm liking my W4Rs much more now. I was using the fatter, short cushy tips, which I found a bit too lower mids/upper bass bloated and recessed highs, switched to the star tip, found them to be too lifeless and tinny, no bass, then switched back to the cushy ones but the slight longer, medium/thin thickness ones and they sound way better to me, a good mix between the two other sets. Running straight from the RWAK100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back