Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Oct 3, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #4,756 of 5,568
  There is certainly room for improvement.

I want a W4 with a fuller sound....more bottom end.    I want a W3 with a bit more midrange and clean up the midbass.

These products don't exist.

It's called the SM64.

Have been listening to the FAD Heaven S.  Same price range as the W4.  More bottom end, more sparkle (not sibilant) on the high end. Beautiful!  Still keeping the W4's, as I want to try them with the 100ohm resistor (totally based on Head-Fi'er suggestions).  Would never talk anyone out of the Westones, they're great little iem's.

Oct 3, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #4,757 of 5,568
I couldnt resist ordering another pair of 4rs after just selling my last set.

I am considering having inearz reshell these into ciems and I was wondering if anyone here has had their 4s or 4rs reshelled? If so did you go with a single tube or 3 tube setup? Also is their any difference in sound? For an additional 95 usd it seems like a no brainer.

Oct 4, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #4,759 of 5,568

My package just arrived, and I did not get charged for customs! Shipping was FedEx express for $20 Maybe I was just lucky?

It's normal with fedex. Be prepared to get a bill in the mail from them for about $10. It's a fee that they charge but for some reason they don't collect when they deliver the package.

Oct 5, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #4,762 of 5,568
I just got the w4r today and I'm disappointed. With any of the foam tips the bass is extremely boomy and echo-ey and I feel like I'm stuck in a room. Maybe that's how it's suppose to sound? It does have the movie theater type bass effect just in a way that's extreme unclear and washes out everything else. With the silicone tips the W4R is like a copy of the brainwavz b2 with less clarity. I was gonna sell my vsonic gr07 and brainwavz b2 to pay for the w4r but now i'm not sure.

Fit wise i think the body of the iem is a bit too big for my ear and the clear sheath that guides the cable is annoying.

Oct 5, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #4,763 of 5,568
I just got the w4r today and I'm disappointed. With any of the foam tips the bass is extremely boomy and echo-ey and I feel like I'm stuck in a room. Maybe that's how it's suppose to sound? It does have the movie theater type bass effect just in a way that's extreme unclear and washes out everything else. With the silicone tips the W4R is like a copy of the brainwavz b2 with less clarity. I was gonna sell my vsonic gr07 and brainwavz b2 to pay for the w4r but now i'm not sure.

Fit wise i think the body of the iem is a bit too big for my ear and the clear sheath that guides the cable is annoying.

As you are coming from the B2 and the GR07, I think that you might be noticing the note presentation of the W4R which probably seems overly thick compared to the B2. For the tips, I would say to try out some tip mods and see if that doesn't help to improve things. That said, maybe you prefer the more analytic sound signature of the B2 over the W4R?

Oct 5, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #4,764 of 5,568
Your ears are just used to the treble peak and flat signature of the gr07... that is why the 4R is sounding too boomy and bloated for you. Stay away from the foam tips because as with any IEM, foam tips give it a warm sound. The 4r is already warm enough so I suggest using the star tips that fit... listen to them for a few days... then go back to the gr07. You must let your ears adjust to its sound signature to really determine which is superior.

I've had both the gr07 and 4r, and the 4r is technically superior. But as with every headphone in this hobby, sound signature preference does not determine which headphone is better. It only determines which you prefer...

Oct 5, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #4,766 of 5,568
I went from the GR07 to the ATH-CK100PRO and was blown away. I thought the CK100PRO was the end-all be-all for 6 months until I won the W4R in a sweepstakes. At first I thought the same thing about the perceived lack of clarity. After a week of listening to the W4R I tried the CK100PRO again and thought the treble was too harsh and that the overall sound was thin (although the lightning fast response is something I miss from time to time on the TRON Legacy: Reconfigured tracks in my library). After a couple of days with my CK100PRO I packed them away and haven't used them. The W4R has a more balanced signature even if it's a touch warm. It has turned into my preference. 

Oct 5, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #4,767 of 5,568
  Your ears are just used to the treble peak and flat signature of the gr07... that is why the 4R is sounding too boomy and bloated for you. Stay away from the foam tips because as with any IEM, foam tips give it a warm sound. The 4r is already warm enough so I suggest using the star tips that fit... listen to them for a few days... then go back to the gr07. You must let your ears adjust to its sound signature to really determine which is superior.

I've had both the gr07 and 4r, and the 4r is technically superior. But as with every headphone in this hobby, sound signature preference does not determine which headphone is better. It only determines which you prefer...

Ok I'm gonna give it more time with the silicone tip. The change in bass is so dramatic: foam tip = boom boom explosion, star tip = very light like the B2. Also, going from the smallest tip (lime green) to the next size (blue) is too much. What other tip fits the w4r? I need something in between. For the people that wear eyeglasses, how do you deal with the clear sheath that guides the cable?

Oct 5, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #4,768 of 5,568
Just got the 4R about two hours ago. Initial listening has me very impressed. There is definitely enough bass for me, nice and tight too, the very best quality I've heard from IEMs. The sound is very balanced top to bottom and it pairs well with the X3. I think the 4R benefits from that extra power, it seems to drink up the extra voltage provided by the X3 like it was thirsty.

Left them burning in, just to see if the sound changes, but right out of the box they made me smile. I have the feeling I'll like them more than the SE535 once I have a chance to compare them side by side. The cable is also much nicer than expected. Very very soft and non-microphonic.

Oct 5, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #4,769 of 5,568
Ok I'm gonna give it more time with the silicone tip. The change in bass is so dramatic: foam tip = boom boom explosion, star tip = very light like the B2. Also, going from the smallest tip (lime green) to the next size (blue) is too much. What other tip fits the w4r? I need something in between. For the people that wear eyeglasses, how do you deal with the clear sheath that guides the cable?

Good news about ear tips for the 4r. The nozzle is 2.5mm so you can try Shure, UE, Comply and EarPortz to name four they all use 2.5mm. I have tried them all (Shure, EarPortz, all the Complys and the UE) and for my SE846 the Westone Star Tips are the absolute best hands down.

Oct 5, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #4,770 of 5,568
Phonak tips fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back