Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Jul 21, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #4,276 of 5,568
Sorry to get a little bit off topic. I've been searching on the forum regarding Westone 4R cable upgrade but I can't seem to find a thread related to it.

Just want to see everyone thoughts on it.

Also, I am using my Westone 4R with Shure black olives from my SE530. I love it. It seals a lot better than the gray ones Westone came with.

Jul 21, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #4,277 of 5,568
Quote:
Sorry to get a little bit off topic. I've been searching on the forum regarding Westone 4R cable upgrade but I can't seem to find a thread related to it.

Just want to see everyone thoughts on it.

Also, I am using my Westone 4R with Shure black olives from my SE530. I love it. It seals a lot better than the gray ones Westone came with.

On the search field bar, simply write "cable upgrade" and you will be presented with lots of options!

http://www.head-fi.org/newsearch?search=westone+cables+upgrade

Jul 21, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #4,278 of 5,568
What happened with the original cables? They broke or something?

BTW just got out of a very long flight with my W4R and Shure olive tips. The isolation with this setup is incredible. To think I wasted a lot of money on noise cancelling phones a few years ago...

Jul 21, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #4,279 of 5,568
Quote:
What happened with the original cables? They broke or something?

BTW just got out of a very long flight with my W4R and Shure olive tips. The isolation with this setup is incredible. To think I wasted a lot of money on noise cancelling phones a few years ago...

No, I think he just want to know little more about what peoples think or have experiment with new cable upgrade! For me personnaly, don't need for silver cable!

If I need to go further, to enhance my music experience, I will go for RSA P-51 Mustang, instead!

Have using Shure olive tips awile ago. Liked a lot, at first place!  Now I A/B Shure Yellow foam tips.  Shure E2c silicone (mod) tips / Sony hybrid (mod) tips!

What canceling phone you where using?

I where using  Senn PXC 250  and Sony MDR- .....

Jul 21, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #4,280 of 5,568
Quote:
It will be fair if you A/B Earportz tips with similar tips materials.  Like A/B with Westone "Star" tips - Sony hybrid (mod) - Shure hybrid E2c (mod)  - Phonak tips.

If you have a chance to A/B or someone, I will appreciate your comments!

biggrin.gif

ive A/B'd  the earportz and the westone Star tips. 

1. materials: both ear portz and the ''star tips'' are made of medical grade silicone both are very soft. but in comparison to softness between the 2 i feel the silicone of the earportz are softer.

2.design: the design of the ''star tips'' really seem to mimic the comply tips. however imo the star tips have a much more narrow opening. when you insert the tip into your ear it doesnt conform to the natural shape of your ear canal, this can feel intruding with the star tips. also can make for a decent ammount of pressure to ''isolate''. The design on the earportz rival the star tips in many ways. one its a soft soft triple flange design, also designed to mimic the natural shape of your ear canal. this along with the triple flange design creates a very natural but isolating expierence. there isnt any of that pressure you get with the stars to achieve isolation. like ive said before, with the earportz when you get them right you get not only exceptional islation but it also feels natural which is very nice.

3. NOW what matters to me most. Sound: i really really wanted to like the westone star tips however becuase the design does mimic the comply but without the pliable material of the comply. when comparing the earportz to the star tips in this matter. the earportz once again won me over. the narrow opening of the star tips seems to effect the mids and esp the highs it seems to veil both mids and highs which imo the w4r doesnt need. on the other hand the design of the earportz tip works in conjunction to create not only exceptional isolation but also exceptional sound. the earportz have a tappered bore on the inside, which mean it goes from smaller to larger at the very tip of the tip. this gives it a horn type effect. so even though the earportz are seated inside you ear canal, they still dilver deep impactful bass. but also the mids and highs arent sacraficed. crisp clean clarity from the earportz.

i dont want to sound biased to the earportz,  just doing a a and b comparison of the star and earportz earportz win in every aspect imo. i really wanted to like the westone star tips as i like the visual asthetics but i really feel i wasted 25.00 buying the star tips in my opinion the star silicone have no real significant sound improvement. the star tips are not better than what you used to get with the w4r the clear tips/e2c design tips.

i had every intention on getting the custom westone tips but since these earportz works so well for me, i think i will pass. plus ive heard that the um56 tips have a tendency to make the soundstage sound smaller, and fit issues could become a issue.

Jul 22, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #4,281 of 5,568
Quote:
 ive A/B'd  the earportz and the westone Star tips. 

1. materials: both ear portz and the ''star tips'' are made of medical grade silicone both are very soft. but in comparison to softness between the 2 i feel the silicone of the earportz are softer.

2.design: the design of the ''star tips'' really seem to mimic the comply tips. however imo the star tips have a much more narrow opening. when you insert the tip into your ear it doesnt conform to the natural shape of your ear canal, this can feel intruding with the star tips. also can make for a decent ammount of pressure to ''isolate''. The design on the earportz rival the star tips in many ways. one its a soft soft triple flange design, also designed to mimic the natural shape of your ear canal. this along with the triple flange design creates a very natural but isolating expierence. there isnt any of that pressure you get with the stars to achieve isolation. like ive said before, with the earportz when you get them right you get not only exceptional islation but it also feels natural which is very nice.

3. NOW what matters to me most. Sound: i really really wanted to like the westone star tips however becuase the design does mimic the comply but without the pliable material of the comply. when comparing the earportz to the star tips in this matter. the earportz once again won me over. the narrow opening of the star tips seems to effect the mids and esp the highs it seems to veil both mids and highs which imo the w4r doesnt need. on the other hand the design of the earportz tip works in conjunction to create not only exceptional isolation but also exceptional sound. the earportz have a tappered bore on the inside, which mean it goes from smaller to larger at the very tip of the tip. this gives it a horn type effect. so even though the earportz are seated inside you ear canal, they still dilver deep impactful bass. but also the mids and highs arent sacraficed. crisp clean clarity from the earportz.

i dont want to sound biased to the earportz,  just doing a a and b comparison of the star and earportz earportz win in every aspect imo. i really wanted to like the westone star tips as i like the visual asthetics but i really feel i wasted 25.00 buying the star tips in my opinion the star silicone have no real significant sound improvement. the star tips are not better than what you used to get with the w4r the clear tips/e2c design tips.

i had every intention on getting the custom westone tips but since these earportz works so well for me, i think i will pass. plus ive heard that the um56 tips have a tendency to make the soundstage sound smaller, and fit issues could become a issue.

Nice post here, thank!

Almost using M size tips. Do I need same size with the Earportzz?  Some Head-fier have stated to go larger with this tips. Going for L size is is true?
Using UM56 while ago!  The hole (bore) become loose with time! Westone cant do nothing with this frustrating issues! One of the clear wire handle have broken either.
Have read lots post about Um56 . U can either read threads about these custom tips to get you an final opinion...

Am fully enjoyed my music (loosless) with iPodTouch or Classic with my W4r using Shure Yellow tips, or Shure E2c (mod)
Just cant wait to make Earportss A/B! Living in QC I will have to search place, distributors in first place!

wink_face.gif

Jul 22, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #4,282 of 5,568
i would say go with one size up. personally i started with the medium and went to the extra large and personally found the XL to be most comfortable. like i said you need to get them positioned right i get no discomfort at all. and i would say my ears are upper medium maybe. but the earportz are extremely pliable and soft. and when you get them right they go with the natural shape of the inner ear cannal and feel very natural.

one thing to note is that the XL have a LARGER bore than the small/medium/Large. i personally feel the larger bore with their tappered design gives the most detail, crisp clean highs low lows. this imo is a feat with tips that are seated deeper into the ear canal. normally when you try a elongated tip such as the comply P series or the westone star tips they have a tendency to collapse the sound stage and also muffler or veil the mids and highs.....while i will say the comply do have nice bass extension they take too much from the soundstage and the mids and highs which i feel is a definite problem.....however the earports even being elongated and seated deep in the ear, they dont take away from the highs mids and still deliver great lows and still a signature westone soundstage....imo its a win.

now i say YMMV some might not find them comfortable some might not like the design. this is just my own expierence. but i do urge someone who is looking for a good tip to try them out. in this hobby we spend 500 on iems 500 on dac 400 on amp 300 on cable 300 on interconnects ect what is 10.00 lol

Jul 22, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #4,283 of 5,568
Quote:
i would say go with one size up. personally i started with the medium and went to the extra large and personally found the XL to be most comfortable. like i said you need to get them positioned right i get no discomfort at all. and i would say my ears are upper medium maybe. but the earportz are extremely pliable and soft. and when you get them right they go with the natural shape of the inner ear cannal and feel very natural.

one thing to note is that the XL have a LARGER bore than the small/medium/Large. i personally feel the larger bore with their tappered design gives the most detail, crisp clean highs low lows. this imo is a feat with tips that are seated deeper into the ear canal. normally when you try a elongated tip such as the comply P series or the westone star tips they have a tendency to collapse the sound stage and also muffler or veil the mids and highs.....while i will say the comply do have nice bass extension they take too much from the soundstage and the mids and highs which i feel is a definite problem.....however the earports even being elongated and seated deep in the ear, they dont take away from the highs mids and still deliver great lows and still a signature westone soundstage....imo its a win.

now i say YMMV some might not find them comfortable some might not like the design. this is just my own expierence. but i do urge someone who is looking for a good tip to try them out. in this hobby we spend 500 on iems 500 on dac 400 on amp 300 on cable 300 on interconnects ect what is 10.00 lol

+1000

Once you know how to make the EarPortz work for you, they are super comfortable, slip into place and stay there, and most importantly... no other universal tip sounds as good. You will not be able to go back to any other tip (that's in existence so far). It breathes new life into great universal IEMs. They will sound like you never thought they could. I'm guessing you probably can't get a much better sound from customs. The EarPortz are that good. No BS. Now I don't know for sure.... but it's possible I guess that if you have mediocre to bad IEMs, the EarPortz could make them sound worse because they're so revealing of every nuance of sound the IEM outputs. But IEMs like Westone 3, 4, Shure SE535, and hopefully for my soon to have SE846... EarPortz will basically turn them into customs. EarPortz are the biggest improvement in sound quality per dollar than almost anything else. They're almost the biggest improvement in sound quality PERIOD. Definitely make much more quality difference than a multi-hundred dollar IEM cable.

Now... I used to use an RSA P51 Mustang amp... that makes a nice difference, too! Needed a DAC with the Galaxy Note 2 and Power Amp playing FLAC, so switched to the RSA Predator. It's a toss up between those 2 amps. They both sound great, just the P51 has no DAC. But really, even then?... the EarPortz alone will make a bigger difference in the sound quality of your IEM than either of those 2 amps alone. You don't know what you're missing if you haven't made those tips work for you.
ksc75smile.gif

Jul 22, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #4,284 of 5,568
Quote:

Your right, good point! 

To be safe, I will say, I eventually order L and XL size then! 

Is these tips are like my office chair,  memory form? Mean that, is it keep is shape, when putin in and out...do have to reposition over and over. I dont know if am clear here. Sory for my por englich!

thank!

ksc75smile.gif

Jul 22, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #4,285 of 5,568
I currently have a pair of W4 on loan at the moment to demo before I buy a set.

Three things I like about this IEM.

1) Non fatiguing.
2) High level of versatility.
3) Comfort.

When you add these features together they combine into an pleasant listening experience, one that allows me to enjoy music for 'music' and stop analyzing sound. For example, with ER4S I'm achieving bucket loads of detail, only it may only sound appropriate with certain genres/songs/albums, which leaves me constantly on the DAP menu buttons searching/changing my selection, doing this I'm not actually enjoying the album or anyone artist but more so shuffling songs looking for that track that was mastered correctly soaking up detail extension. W4 however allows me to listen to a full album and enjoy that album without getting fatigued. Last night I spend easily x3 the amount of time I would listening to music stating to myself, that sounds good, this song sounds good too, right through albums I'd just scrolled across in the past. That is a big deal in this hobby, something Westone have nailed with their 4.

It took me about 5 hours since receiving the loaner to realize I needed a pair of these earphones, by the end of the night I had purchased my own 4R.

They sound exceptional with all sources shown but one in particular stands out from the crowd, Colorflys C3 (which has recently been measured an output impedance od 0.4 ohm) For the $100 it costs to buy the little Colorfly, you really can't go wrong when tethering W4. These two pieces of gear synergize really well.

Jul 22, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #4,286 of 5,568
Quote:
Your right, good point! 

To be safe, I will say, I eventually order L and XL size then! 

Is these tips are like my office chair,  memory form? Mean that, is it keep is shape, when putin in and out...do have to reposition over and over. I dont know if am clear here. Sory for my por englich!

thank!

ksc75smile.gif

here are a couple pictures of the W4r with the Earportz, these are like the Westone Star Tips made out of medical grade Silicone, its VERY soft and Very Flexible and it maintains the natural curvature of the inner ear canal as you can see in the pics. you take them off wash them and your good to go. the silicone is molded into that shape so you never have to shapr or mold the tip.

Jul 22, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #4,287 of 5,568
Are there any full size/mid size portable cans that sound similar to these W4s? I have the Mad Dogs, but they aren't really portable for me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back