Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Jul 14, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #4,261 of 5,568
Quote:
Guys, it doesn't matter what gen iPod you use. The CLAS bypasses both the internal DAC and amp on the iPod. When you hook up a CLAS rig you're hearing the CLAS and whatever amp it's hooked up to, not the iPod.

Right!  I was actually talking about the W4 sounding good to me with both the 7th gen Classic/CLAS combo, as well as the 5th gen. Classic without the CLAS.  Very similar sound sig.  In fact, CLAS won't work properly with the earlier Classics like the 5th gen.. 

Jul 14, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #4,262 of 5,568
Quote:
$375 new on Amazon... looks pretty good to me!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/ol/B0064ACZ9O/ref=mw_dp_olp?qid=1373779766&sr=8-6

Quote:
yeah I've seen that. However, it appears that they're not an authorized distributor and hence the warranty won't be valid. Anyone care to weigh in on this?

Quote:
Go online and search for earphonesolutions discounts, i recommend signing up for the newsletter, got quiet a few coupons with 25% off

Amazon itself is an authorized dealer. I just got verification from Westone a week or two. But not third party sellers. 

BH Photo has been selling it at the same price. They also are an authorized dealer. 

I have not gotten a 25% coupon code from Earphonesolutions since Christmas, I think. 

I'd recommend checking with other authorized Westone dealers: ZZSounds, American Music Supply or Same Day Music. All of them will beat BHphot or amazon by $10 if you do a price match request, which can be submitted online. 

Jul 15, 2013 at 4:36 AM Post #4,263 of 5,568
Quote:

Amazon itself is an authorized dealer. I just got verification from Westone a week or two. But not third party sellers. 

BH Photo has been selling it at the same price. They also are an authorized dealer. 

I have not gotten a 25% coupon code from Earphonesolutions since Christmas, I think. 

I'd recommend checking with other authorized Westone dealers: ZZSounds, American Music Supply or Same Day Music. All of them will beat BHphot or amazon by $10 if you do a price match request, which can be submitted online. 

The 15-20% coupons still work just try out the old codes, I'm certain you will get atleast 15%, and the last 25% i can remember was Easter or the Westone birthday, I can't remember...

Jul 15, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #4,264 of 5,568
Quote:

The 15-20% coupons still work just try out the old codes, I'm certain you will get atleast 15%, and the last 25% i can remember was Easter or the Westone birthday, I can't remember...

Great if that work! But someone should still do a price match request to BH Photo from ZZSounds, American Music Supply or Same Day Music because you'll pay $365...all of whom are authorized dealers. That is cheaper than 25%. 

Jul 19, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #4,265 of 5,568
still rockin the proguard earportz anyone else give them a shot yet? i have yet to go back to the westone/shure e2c tip. using the large tip yeilds the best sound. when you get these tips just right you cannot even feel them in your ears. this can take a little adjustment, but once you get it right. the sound feels like its coming from the middle of your brain. its a sensation i havent gotten with any other tip. for me it seems like it almost tricks your brain into thinking the music is coming from within your brain. instead of other tips where it feels like the sound is coming from outside in (which it is) with these tips it feel like its swirling around within your head. i guess this is becuase once you get it right and you dont feel the tips inside your ears only the music is present instead of what you get with other tips like pressure to ''block'' out sound or a uncomfortable isolation.....ok i am going on and on, but these are really great, i would imagine its probably going to be a hit or miss with some. as these do look like ear rape, however they are anything but if they work for you. 

Jul 19, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #4,266 of 5,568
Quote:
still rockin the proguard earportz anyone else give them a shot yet? i have yet to go back to the westone/shure e2c tip. using the large tip yeilds the best sound. when you get these tips just right you cannot even feel them in your ears. this can take a little adjustment, but once you get it right. the sound feels like its coming from the middle of your brain. its a sensation i havent gotten with any other tip. for me it seems like it almost tricks your brain into thinking the music is coming from within your brain. instead of other tips where it feels like the sound is coming from outside in (which it is) with these tips it feel like its swirling around within your head. i guess this is becuase once you get it right and you dont feel the tips inside your ears only the music is present instead of what you get with other tips like pressure to ''block'' out sound or a uncomfortable isolation.....ok i am going on and on, but these are really great, i would imagine its probably going to be a hit or miss with some. as these do look like ear rape, however they are anything but if they work for you. 

Have Not tried the earportz yet! Still using my westone/E2c mod tips. AW! It rock my Brain from anywhere!
biggrin.gif

Jul 21, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #4,268 of 5,568
Does anyone know the Impedance of the volume attenuator that come with w4r?
Thanks

Jul 21, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #4,269 of 5,568
Quote:
Guys, it doesn't matter what gen iPod you use. The CLAS bypasses both the internal DAC and amp on the iPod. When you hook up a CLAS rig you're hearing the CLAS and whatever amp it's hooked up to, not the iPod.

correct the ipod just becomes a media storage interface, other than the ability to play music and store you music on the ipod, thats all it is when the ipod is used in conjunction with the CLAS and a AMP.

Jul 21, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #4,270 of 5,568
Quote:
Does anyone know off the top what size T100s come with the W4?

I measured mine and checked the Comply web site. I got 1 medium pair and 1 small pair. The medium has a black inner core and the small has a white inner core.

The medium is a 1/2" diameter at the base.  I can't imagine the large.

Jul 21, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #4,271 of 5,568
I measured mine and checked the Comply web site. I got 1 medium pair and 1 small pair. The medium has a black inner core and the small has a white inner core.

The medium is a 1/2" diameter at the base.  I can't imagine the large.
I'm with you. The medium ones fit me perfectly nice and snug. I too can't imagine putting in the large ones. I have big ears but holy crap the large ones are frign huge lol. I can imagine if I could get them in my ears they would probably isolate better then them all. But I don't think they would be very comfy. I'm glad with these new tips though. Cause the older complys that came with the Westone
products did not insulate very well at all. Well for me anyways :frowning2:

Jul 21, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #4,272 of 5,568
Quote:
I'm glad with these new tips though. Cause the older complys that came with the Westone
products did not insulate very well at all.

When you say new tips are you talking about the ones that come with the W4R, versus the W4?  Are they a different Comply or are you saying you prefer the star tips?

Jul 21, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #4,273 of 5,568
Quote:

After reading your endorsements, I took your advice and purchased the EarPortz trial pack ($28.75 at http://www.earplugstore.com/proguard-earportz-earphone-adapters.html). As has been mentioned by others, I also found that the XL size was the only one that fit decently; the others are too small. After fiddling with the tip angle on the W4, I was able to get a deep insertion that produced good isolation and an excellent overall audio spectrum including sound stage. I then tried an A/B comparison with my favorite Comply P100(M). Honestly, I did not find that the EarPorts tips produced a more appealing sound experience although they were every bit the equal of the P100(M). The Comply tips are slightly easier to wear because I can compress the foam gently, insert, then they return to their "memory" shape within the ear canal. Comparing overall dimensions, the P100(M) is noticeably thicker and almost exactly the same length as the EarPortz tip, which is probably why it also produces excellent isolation and deep bass. In terms of comfort, it is tough to beat the Comply memory foam although the EarPortz silicon is soft and pliable. The P100s cost $22.95 for 5 sets ($4.60@) and, since I clean my ear canals before each use, I am still on my first pair, now 7 months and counting... The EarPortz tips are $10 each although I would expect them to last a very long time given their durable silicon construction. 

Although I remain partial to the Comply P100s, I have not yet made a final judgment and intend to do some more A/B testing when I have time...

Ken

Jul 21, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #4,274 of 5,568
When you say new tips are you talking about the ones that come with the W4R, versus the W4?  Are they a different Comply or are you saying you prefer the star tips?

I have the um2 and the um1 and I think they came with the tips that the w4 came with. I think ,, maybe I'm wrong but I think the star tips came with the newer version of the 4 4r. I found that the comply tips that came with them weren't as wide as the new ones that with the newer version which the new star tips came with. I hope this helps. :)

Jul 21, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #4,275 of 5,568
Quote:
After reading your endorsements, I took your advice and purchased the EarPortz trial pack ($28.75 at http://www.earplugstore.com/proguard-earportz-earphone-adapters.html). As has been mentioned by others, I also found that the XL size was the only one that fit decently; the others are too small. After fiddling with the tip angle on the W4, I was able to get a deep insertion that produced good isolation and an excellent overall audio spectrum including sound stage. I then tried an A/B comparison with my favorite Comply P100(M). Honestly, I did not find that the EarPorts tips produced a more appealing sound experience although they were every bit the equal of the P100(M). The Comply tips are slightly easier to wear because I can compress the foam gently, insert, then they return to their "memory" shape within the ear canal. Comparing overall dimensions, the P100(M) is noticeably thicker and almost exactly the same length as the EarPortz tip, which is probably why it also produces excellent isolation and deep bass. In terms of comfort, it is tough to beat the Comply memory foam although the EarPortz silicon is soft and pliable. The P100s cost $22.95 for 5 sets ($4.60@) and, since I clean my ear canals before each use, I am still on my first pair, now 7 months and counting... The EarPortz tips are $10 each although I would expect them to last a very long time given their durable silicon construction. 

Although I remain partial to the Comply P100s, I have not yet made a final judgment and intend to do some more A/B testing when I have time...

Ken

It will be fair if you A/B Earportz tips with similar tips materials.  Like A/B with Westone "Star" tips - Sony hybrid (mod) - Shure hybrid E2c (mod)  - Phonak tips.

If you have a chance to A/B or someone, I will appreciate your comments!

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back