Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Dec 30, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #3,751 of 5,568
Quote:

Very weird and annoying. And yet not surprising. I want to order... but then who knows if my pair will have the golden ticket. Well, wide bore tips. 

Syro & Imackler  I have just recently received from Westone (Music dept.) some sample pack of there new tips. Pict soon! :)

Dec 30, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #3,752 of 5,568
Quote:
With 2 year warranty I will always prefer the NON-RC regular cables.  They are so much more comfy and easy to put away and travel with.

If it were only 1 year warranty I would probably go with RC version.

If at a later time you decide to improve, enhance your listening experience with cable upgrade (silver,copper...) With mem cable, its easy to keep cable behind head. This is not an issues for me, and for many other folks. If you damage, for any reasons, by your own fault the cable, or the iem itself, in the 2 years waranty, you send back to Westone for repair at your own cost$. The warrenty will be probably void, cause you will have to prove that it is a manufacture default! If you lucky guys, if you get in touch with the good person at the cs. it will be fine, youl get then, a free replacement!  :wink:  o_O

Jan 2, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #3,754 of 5,568
Quote:
True, there is a TS, which is the round version without wax guard. Haven't looked at Comply site in a while, wasn't aware of either spherical tip before (maybe I just missed them, but I'm used to those awful cylindrical foamies), they market them as "comfort", which sounds good to me. I'll post what I think of them when they come.

Sorry for my confusion here. If you said it sound good to you, its means that you have already listen to it! Then in this case, you can easily post your comment?!!! :)

Jan 2, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #3,755 of 5,568
Quote:
For my ears, I disagree on the Comply. I find these to be the worse of the good foamies I've used (shure olives being the best). Comply tips are very comfortable and isolate well but I haven't been able to find a variety that doesn't negatively affect the FR. The best tips I've used with the W4R are hands down the Shure or Ety Triple flanges, but they never disapear in your ears and they are a pain to remove and re-insert without causing major irritation from all the rubbing.

That being said, I got tired of messing with tips and finally went out and ordered a pair of silicone UM56.

I've had the W4R for a year now. Last year, I told myself that come November I would either decide between (1) keeping the W4R and getting custom tips or (2) selling them and going for a BF sale jh13/16 . . Maybe next year. 
beyersmile.png

Stay Observation: Getting the ear molds was kind of fun. Is this the isolation you would get with a full custom?

Quote:
Normally, your mold is made of "soft" silicone, while the final customs comes with "hard" silicone. The mold actually isolate more than the final  customs. However, some companies, say Westone, provides a option to use soft tips in the customs, those tips will slightly change the shape after insertion into your ear canal, which will improve the isolation of the customs.

Custom IEM (JH13) isolate better more than UM56 mold. Custom is FULL acrylic shell , UM56 is ear canal only (pvc materiel). It seal less than the custom! 1200$ vs 130$ Keep your 4r! Go for UM56 Hope I help here!

Jan 2, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #3,756 of 5,568
TIP UPDATE...

Before the new "star" tips become available, I finally received and tested the tips I had previously mentioned I found here:

alpine double-flanges, with the widened exit hole : http://www.sensorcom.com/product.asp?PT_ID=268&P_ID=1142

These double flanges with the large exit hole (about twice as large as the Westone triple flange, cut to double..) deliver simply amazing sound clarity... and the highs!!! I'm finally hearing those details and those highs I was missing, and was sure they had to be delivered somehow.

I clarify that I have not tried nor know the other Bi-flanges others have spoken about, like DocHoliday's suggested Buyincoins 2$ ones.

These cost me 6£ plus 8£ shipping (the things we do for this damn hobby...), but I am VERY happy I spent this money... The FUN sound on these babies is now without parallel...

Hope somebody else has something to say about large-exit-hole tips, if there are any others...

Jan 8, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #3,758 of 5,568
I find the sony hybrids with the adapters from ANDEROAN (read a couple of pages back) to fit me the best, nice seal,although they don't isolate better then the decored olives adapters, you can control the depth of insertion by cutting them to your liking, and it's much cheaper. Sound wise i can't tell to much of a difference between the two adapters, the ANDEROAN adapters feel better due to the deeper insertion.

The buyincoin tips just don't feel solid and give the same seal.

The only problem with the adapters ANDEROAN sent me was that the hybrids tend to slip off, i had to put some glue on the adapters, let it dry so that there is more friction between the tip and adapters.

Thanks again ANDEROAN!

Jan 8, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #3,759 of 5,568
Quote:
With 2 year warranty I will always prefer the NON-RC regular cables.  They are so much more comfy and easy to put away and travel with.

If it were only 1 year warranty I would probably go with RC version.

Does that means with W4R if we use custom cable, the warranty could be void ?

I own W4 normal non-rc because I have no plan to change the cable.

Jan 9, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #3,761 of 5,568
Just placed an order for W4R.  Will see how it compares to my beloved TF10.

Jan 10, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #3,762 of 5,568
Quote:

Sounds like the PFE232 are at least worth looking into. The slight U-shape gets balanced out nicely with the bass and treble loss from low volumes (it's how our ears work), and the mids are clear enough that not much detail is lost regardless of volume. 

The most common complaint on the W4s is that they sound "dull" or "boring". Who knows, you might have gotten a fake, but it's not very probable. More likely a dud, but that's still not very probable. Best to try an new pair from someone else to make sure. Hopefully you can find someone to lend them, or have a store that stocks them.

It does distort the sound, but in this case I guess it's a good thing, since it takes off some of the coloring that many who complain against the W4 are bothered by. Try the included airplane adapter, which is essentially an impedance adapter (up to 75ohm). Sort of works as well.

Can you explain me how to use this adapter to an iPod, with that 2 pins?!?!

Jan 10, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #3,763 of 5,568
Quote:
Just placed an order for W4R.  Will see how it compares to my beloved TF10.

It should performs better mate, in terms of sound stage and details.

Please share your experience here.

Jan 16, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #3,765 of 5,568
Quote:
I have found that the stock double flanges from Earsonics SM3 sound best to my ears for the Westone4.

Are they still using the grey biflanges for stock? Or do the newer versions have something different? For whatever reason, the grey biflanges made my ears itch (why other silicone tips don't have the same effect on my ears is beyond me)

Quote:
Can you explain me how to use this adapter to an iPod, with that 2 pins?!?!

The volume attenuator included with the packaging.

See the black thingie at the top?

This works as well: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ETYMOTIC-ER4P-TO-ER4S-RESISTOR-ADAPTOR-3-5MM-PLUG-/290372905689
I'm using the 125Ohm. Best to pair it with an portable amp, battery on most DAPs gets sucked out like no tomorrow. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back